“Not what it used to be.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Seafood, Chowder
Good for: Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family and I were shocked that this place that we love for its lobster rolls now serves these sandwiches without any of the best lobster meat in them. They say on all of the signs that they use the meat of two 1 pound lobsters in each roll. Unfortunately none of the 4 lobster rolls we ordered at more than $17.00 each had any of the best lobster meat. They had the small flabby claws, and the little bits from the tiny (thinner than a straw) lobster legs (which are the least expensive and least tender pieces). No tail meat, no knuckle meat and not even a few meaty claws from a nice big lobster to make up in part for the removal of the best parts. The parts of the lobster they serve are the cheaper parts so they are cutting back on their cost but still charging a lot for the sandwiches. This place was such a great local institution. What a shame they are cutting corners to make more money. I will not bring people back there until I hear that they have gone back to their former quality standards. Hopefully they will smarten up and not take us consumers for granted. There are other places to buy a lobster roll around Boston including a gourmet lobster roll food truck I just read about that is like the amazing one in DC. By the way, if you want a great lobster roll in Maine, try Reds in Wiscasset. Worth the wait in line.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, MA
“Don't waste your money unless you like blah tasting food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I'm not sure what happened to this place because it was really good in the past. I ate here while growing up. I have given this place a try three times in the past year thinking anyone can have a bad day. Well the food is tastless. The scallops and shrimp had no flavor. We closed our eyes and couldn't tell what we had just eaten. My friend, who is a lobster roll fanatic, was upset at what they called a lobster roll. If you have to eat here, try the Roast Beef. I'm assuming that is still good. Even their fish is pollack and not cod or haddock. Who chooses to eat pollack? Seriously, for that price they have a nerve using pollack. Go down the street to the pizza place. I heard it's fabulous.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Old enough to remember better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

After a long day of buying appliances in Lynn, decided on a lark to drive through Revere Beach on the way home. I had been there once - when I first moved to Boston in 1979 - and ragged about it the entire time ('You call this a beach?"), except for the food at Kelly's.

So now over 30 years later, we drive down Revere Beach Blvd and are rather shocked that it is a) clean, b) almost empty, and c) the beach doesn't look half bad. Since there was a parking spot a few feet from Kelly's - and since it was way past lunch - we spontaneously decided it must be a sign.

Well, not so much. The clam plate was soggy - to the point that the batter was falling off the onion rings and the french fries were the consistency of soggy french toast. The clams weren't much better. The lobster roll, according to my husband the professional chef, was frozen lobster meat - also wet and soggy. Although there was a good amount of it (mostly claws), you really didn't want it. Tragic, but true. So for $35, a rather expensive lunch at the beach.

What can I say ... the seagulls were happy. All 20 of them.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Fresh but bland and probably not Cod”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

While the fish and roast beed were fresh, neither had any seasoning or salt whatsoever. Completely bland. Also, the fish tasted more like Talapia than the advertised Atlantic Cod. Roast - but was fresh nevertheless.

After adding much salt, pepper and tartar sauce, our taste buds woke up and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. I guess it is better to be able to add salt than have a salty dish that you can do nothing about...

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
El Paso, Texas
“Kelly's in Saugus”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

They say to always go to the Kellys in Revere...It may be true. My wife and I went to the Saugus location and purchased a Lobster Roll and 2 hamburger plates. The Lobster Roll was 17.00 and had very little quality meat and was very soggy (could have been from the bottom of the container) and the burgers were burnt and very dry...I don't know what happened but we were very disappointed when we got ther food home. I will say I emailed the Saugus manager and he responded right away, hopefully they can resolve the quality isues....Not sure If I'll go back to the Saugus location but will try Revere one more time.

• Visited July 2011