“Average Vietnamese food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Massachusetts
“Average Vietnamese food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

After reading very positive reviews I drove to Randolph last night to eat at Pho So 1. Well, I was fairly disappointed. Tried both the spring rolls and the egg rolls other reviewers have raved about--nothing uncommon about them. And, the peanut sauce for the spring rolls had a purplish brown color and tasted more of thickener than peanuts. We had two main courses--a Tofu lo mein dish which was acceptable to my companion and a clay pot rice with pork dish as I had seen the photos posted by a reviewer on trip advisor and it looked quite interesting. When ordering I specifically asked the server if the dish came with pieces of pork and not just fat. Well, I should have known better. What I was served was a plate full of rice--rice was not in the clay pot--and a separate clay pot with a brown greasy looking sauce in the bottom and about twenty pieces of pork fat and skin. I have seen more pork meat on 2-3 slices of bacon. Plus, not a single vegetable in sight. I called the server over and, after politely listening to my concern about being served just pork fat, he inquired "you do not like pork fat?" I have nothing against pork fat--just against being served only pork fat. The clay pot was promptly taken back to the kitchen and replaced with quickly chosen broiled pork chops over rice. They were OK but not worth the drive there. When the bill came I was still charged for the claypot dish instead of the pork chops. Rather than prolong the experience, we paid, left a tip, and left.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Hopkinton NH
“Positively the best Vietnamese food, period”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Whenever I'm in the area I visit this restaurant for lunch. Start things off with a lovely cup of hot tea, and then have the rice-paper spring rolls with peanut sauce as an appetizer. However the highlight of the visit is the traditional bowl of Vietnamese beef and noodle soup. I have had this dish in many locations across the country and can say with certainty that Pho So 1 is at the top of the list. Delicious!

• Visited September 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Addicting Pho'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Pho So 1 is an important part of my diet. It is Vietnamese soul food. I have the #1 Pho with egg rolls which brings me to a euphoric state of gastronomical pleasure. The service at Pho So 1 is very quick, with satisfaction guarantee. The quality of the food is fresh and very much an eye appealing delight. The best part about Pho So 1 is the prices. You could feed 2 for under $ 20 with appetite satisfied and a smile on your.
Really recommend PHO SO 1

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I don't eat all the exotic fare at this restaurant but the food is really good. I have gotten stir fry chicken dishes which were wonderfully tasty. People rave about the Pho but I have not tried it yet (I'm a creature of habit). The food comes quickly as it is a fairly small place (less than 25 tables I think). It does get really busy sometimes because the place is small. It seems really popular with the locals.

The only drawback I experienced was a bad smell in the back of the restaurant where the bathrooms are. They would do very well to expand or at least renovate. The decor definitely leaves something to be desired but you don't think about that much when you are enjoying the hot food.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, MA
“Hits the spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

I haven't been here in a while and really wanted to pho without going to Boston. We had been going to Pho Hoa in Quincy but stopped after repeated bad service and the last straw was when they nuked the spring rolls.

So I decided to do another search to see if there was a decent vietnamese place where I can get good decent pho. Today was a rainy, chilly day so perfect day for pho.

When we arrived it was busy and we had to wait a few mins for a table. I couldn't believe how busy they were but that can only mean the food is really good. It was a mixed clientele with just about even split of vietnamese customers and non. One step through the door and pho left my mind when I saw that they now have claypot rice. We love clay pot rice and immediately decided to have that instead of the pho. We started off with their fried spring rolls. Let me say they were fresh and delicious-just as good as the ones I make at home. We ate an order each. I got clay pot that was on their "board" which consist of frogs legs, chicken, shrimp, and beef with veggies (I'd forgo the frogs legs though). My husband got the clay pot with just beef and veggies. Both of these dishes were delicious and we can't wait to go back again.

The servers were pleasant and efficient. The owner was a wonderful lady also and apologize profusely when we had requested no peppers in our rice and the cook forgot and put them in there.

This is definitely a gem hidden amongst a dreary strip mall.