My husband, teenage son and I spent 1 night at the Masthead. We live in Boston and were hoping to enjoy a quick getaway to enjoy the beatiful July weather, and colorful ambiance. I booked the Masthead at the last minute after reading reviews on this site, concluding that the good outweighed the bad. It was a mistake. I paid $500/night for a "cottage" consisting of a kitchen, bedroom, living area with fold out couch, and small bath.
First of all, to describe the paneled cottage as "rustic" would be generous as the word connotes attractiveness. The overall feel was run down and falling apart. The door knob came off in our hand. The "master" bedroom consisted of a small dresser and queen sized bed wedged so tightly between the walls that one could access the bed only by the foot. I reclined on the bed and immediately noticed stains. And bugs. Very small red mite type bugs crawled across the bed. I counted 3 of them and then consulted with my husband about what to do. There was no way we were going to get another room. We would have to persevere and pretend we were camping.
In the "living" room where my son rested on the fold-out couch, we sat down to watch t.v. --- AMC channel, because this was the only channel the Masthead got. Somehow we missed the fact that Masthead does not have a pool. Instead there is a deck area to lay out and overlook the ocean, which was lovely (thank goodness).
The very small window unit A/C was barely adequate to cool the place during the night and inadequate during the day time. The bathroom had a small shower---you have probably seen the type--a plastic unit that is shoved in to an area that used to be something else. It was bigger than an airplane restroom, I'll give it that. There was also plenty of hot water.
I took an extra ambien and made it to morning. But when I awoke and turned over, I saw immediately next to me a dead bug about 1/4 inch in size. I'm praying it was not a bed bug. I didn't get bit by anything I don't think.
I urge you to think long and hard before booking a unit at the Masthead. Or at least choose a different one. I think our's was 29A.
- Also Known As:
- Masthead Hotel
- Masthead Hotel Provincetown
- Masthead Motel Provincetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Masthead offers distinctive accommodations in an authentic Cape Cod setting. 450 Foot Private Beach. Sun Deck On The Water, Boardwalk, Spacious Lawns, Beautifully Landscaped Grounds, Comfortable Lounging Chairs, Central Heat, Within walking distance of fine restaurants, coffee shops and center of Town. The restful beauty and quiet of our grounds and lovely gardens bordering the boardwalk and sundeck provide a favorite rendezvous for guests who lounge and enjoy the beautiful vista of Provincetown Bay and miles of ever-changing Cape scenery. The Bay is a haven for sailing and water-skiing. Golf & tennis are nearby. Art classes and Art galleries are only minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Masthead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.