“Good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Gables Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Provincetown
Four Gables Cottages
You added Four Gables Cottages to your Saves list
15 Race Rd, Provincetown, MA 02657   |
Montreal, Canada
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at Cookie's Cottage with my husband, our 16 month old daughter (we brought our own playpen) and our friends with their dog.

The cottage itself is very quaint and cozy. It was a good size for us and we found it to be comfortable for our weekend stay. The location is very good as we were able to walk into the "downtown" area of Provincetown, and the beach was not far to drive to either.

While I'm sure there are more luxurious places to stay in Provincetown, this one fit our budget.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I NEVER write reviews but felt this was warranted. Me and five of my friends stayed at the Treetop while attending a wedding. First of all, the website is false advertising. When you click on the Treetop link it brings you to a page showing a nice long porch on the front of the house. The house does have this porch however if you are renting the Treetop, you have NO access to that porch. Instead you go around the house and up a rear deck. This should be shown on the Treetop link rather than what they do show you. Secondly, we were greeted by the owners with a laundry list of "Can't Dos" and "Must Nots" including being shown how to shut the main door (as if we are not smart enough to figure this out on our own) and that we were not allowed to put the TV past 33. We felt that was fair until we put it on 33 and could barely hear the show. The A/C could not be turned lower than 72 degrees which is still not cool enough when it is 90+ degrees outside. The beds were awful and the decor was terrible. The A/C in the main living room was not working properly and we were unable to use it overnight. This would have been fine except it was 90+ degrees out and humid.
On the night of the wedding we received a call at 11:59 pm and then again at 1:15 pm. Due to not having my phone on me I was unable to respond to the initial call. Apparently my dog had barked while I was out of the house. When I got the messages at 1:20 am I immediately called the owner back to apologize but he did not answer. At that point I was right down the street so I ran (literally) back to the house and opened the door to find the owner inside the unit. I felt this was an invasion of privacy since he specifically said that he would NEVER go into the unit unless there was a fire. It felt as if I "caught him" in the unit based on the look of surprise when I opened the door. My dog does not like strangers, more specifically male strangers, yet the owner was in the unit, inside the room with my dog and my dog wasn't make a sound!!!! I found that to be really strange. Then the other owner came into the unit and began to yell at me and my partner about our dog barking. I apologized and said that I did the best I could and that as soon as I got the message I raced back to the unit to take care of my dog. That apparently was not enough and the owners began to yell at us even more. They told us to get our things and leave and if we did not, they would call the police. At one point, one of them actually went towards my partner as if he was going to assault her. It was unbelievable!!! It was almost as if he knew he was being completely unreasonable and inappropriate for going after my partner that he backed off and agreed that we would check-out as planned the following morning.

After going on the website and seeing this property we thought it was perfect for us. When in actuality, it was terrible. The decor was awful. As previously stated by another reviewer... it was as if they went to a garage sale and bought all the stuff no one else wanted and thats what they used to decorate the unit! The owner(s) were very rude and acted as if we were an inconvenience. We paid a lot of money to stay at the Treetop and even paid extra to bring our dog. After the way they treated us, I would NEVER recommend this rental.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Four Gables Cottages, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
We provide a unique experience for guest who wish to travel with their pets. We are very sensitive to the needs of the pet and to the needs of all our guests. We often have guests who go out for the evening and their pet will suffer 'separation anxiety', usually the pet calms down but occasionally they do not and it becomes clear the animal is in distress. Our Policy is to ask the guest to leave a Cell Phone for emergencies. We contact them and they return to take care of their pet, most often apologetic that their pet might have disturbed other guests. In this case the guest allowed their dog to bark and scratch at it's cage well into the evening, disregarding our attempts to reach them until 2:00am when it quickly became clear that they were ready for a fight. We attempted to work with the guests who persisted in cursing, screaming and threatening the Innkeepers. At one point the guest created a battery against the Innkeeper by restraining his hand as he attempted to call for assistance. No Innkeeper can allow this to happen. Our rooms are unique and we do point out various features in each unit, for example, how to operate the security doors and other considerations for guests such as how to operate the stereo and recommended settings. This is no different than any other hospitality property. The Tree Top unit provides a large, shaded and private deck. Because it is located on the second floor of the property we can see how a guest might misinterpret the Tree Top photograph on our web site and assume that even though the unit is located on the second floor they have access to the shared front porch on the first floor. In the 14 years we have owned and operated Four Gables we have never had a guest make this misinterpretation and complain that they would have preferred the shared, smaller porch one floor below, but we will change our unit description to clear up any potential confusion. This guest told us that they would try to destroy our business with a bad review so we are not surprised by their other allegations and comments. We will let the reviews of our other guests speak for the quality of our property.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Four Gables in August 2010 with our dog and had a very nice time. We stayed in one of the remodeled units and it was really really beautiful. Even better than the pictures. It had a front porch and a back deck and a full kitchen and beautiful bathrooms. This place is truly dog-friendly, there is even a yard, but you don't have to have a dog to appreciate how nice it is. The owners are wonderful and gracious and provide very good service. It is far on the West End and very quiet and private because it is not near commercial Street, but still only a 10 minute walk to shops and restaurants. The only thing that could be improved is the bedding. The beds were not as comfortable as they could have been for such a nice place and the sheets and blankets were worn out and stained (but clean). So, as long as great bedding is not high on your list of must-haves I recommend it.

Room Tip: renovated units are nice but more money
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

We stayed in the Greenbrier cottage, which is quaint and not fancy, with our two dogs. Gary and Bob were more than accomodating, and even gave our pups cookies (with our permission, of course) while we were gone for a walk. The cottage has a very cute, optionally enclosed, shaded deck that we were able to leave the dogs on, with the slider open so they could go in and out. The cottage is small, but it was nice having a little place to call our own during our stay in PTown. The property is densely landscaped, and not overly manicured. It felt very natural and serene to sit out on the deck and relax. The neighborhood is very quiet and you really feel more like you're visiting friends than staying at paid accomodations. We'll definitely be back. Gary and Bob are just really nice people!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

We had a great relaxing time at Four Gables with our entire family, including the puppy. Can't say enough good things about Bob and Gary. They are very accomodating and gave great tips for takeout, etc. We stayed at The Hemingway which was very roomy for the five of us and a perfect pet-friendly place to stay. Would highly recommend it for anyone travelling with a pet or two.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

The Four Gables Cottages are ideally situated in a quiet section of Provincetown's Westend but just a few minutes walk to the hubub of the center of town. The grounds of the Four Gables Cottages are beautifully maintained and every year (we have been there many times) there are new plantings to be enjoyed. We have stayed in both the new and older sections of the cottages and found the accommodations in both to be clean and comfortable. Cookie's Cottage - the older of two units we've stayed in has a beautiful and spacious lawn out front. The interior of this two bedroom unit is charming in a typical Cape Cod fashion. Phone service and cable TV are available. We have rarely ever encountered a problem during our stays, but when we have we found the innkeepers to be accommodating in attending to our needs in a timely fashion. All in all a delightful place to stay.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

My wife and I stay here with our dogs every September and always have a great time. The accommodations are always clean and well-maintained. Bob and Gary are great hosts and always willing to go the extra mile to make sure their guests are comfortable and happy.
The location is great.... close enough to town for walking and far enough away for some peace and quiet when you want it. If you are traveling to the Cape with your pet(s) this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Gables Cottages? Share your experiences!