“Consistently Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ampersand Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Provincetown
Ampersand Guesthouse
You added Ampersand Guesthouse to your Saves list
6 Cottage St., P.O. Box 832, Provincetown, MA 02657   |
Ranked #47 of 70 Provincetown B&B and Inns
New York City
“Consistently Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Often, staying at a hotel / guest house maybe very good on the first visit, yet fall short on the second. I am happy to report that the Ampersand was as good as it was a year ago. All the positive comments still stand. The gentlemen who run the guest house do a great job. The house is beachy, pleasant, relaxed and entirely worthy of P-Town. We have booked again for next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very nice accommodation at a good price. The Hosts Robert & Ken are very welcoming and gracious. The place is immaculate and quiet. We wanted to hit the beach on our last day and they let us park there and use the bathroom to change when we got back. The room was nicely equipped with window ac unit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The size of the room was good. The bed was comfortable enough - nothing that great - but fine. If they did a rehab, they could put in new ones I suppose. I did not like the bathroom at all though. The tub was very old and the shower head was probably 25+ years old. There was rust on various parts of the shower head / pipes / knobs / etc. The knobs were awkward to use and it was hard to get the temperature to what I needed it to be. Water collected at the bottom of the tub during the shower. The whole tub/shower was surrounded by several clear plastic curtains that didn't entirely overlap - so it was cold... and there was a full window (to the street) - that had shutters which were held together by a 2 mm latch. So, if that moved, you were basically showering naked in front of whomever walked by. (This is the first floor room). The bathroom counter space and towel space was very minimal (I think i managed to wedge my toothbrush above the toilet somewhere) - but fortunately there was a large dresser right outside the bathroom. There were many windows with very weak shutters in this room that would constantly open inside the room - if the windows were open but the shutters were only half open for air (the shutters would just pop open)...so for privacy & proper climate, it was a little challenging...and also, I like to sleep in a little later - in the dark - but with these weird shutters - it was extremely bright as soon as the sun came up. There were no shades. The shutters were just awkward to deal with. There is a window unit AC that can be a little loud - no central AC. I didn't have a problem with the owners friendliness or lack thereof that was mentioned elsewhere. They were fine. It is where they live & so maybe some people rub them the wrong way. Who knows. The breakfast is just muffins but they told me that & I read it here so I had some cereal bars if I got hungry. This was not an expensive b & b so they are not going to be having a full ritz carlton buffet. There are places to eat in p-town if you need a bigger breakfast.

One thing that concerned me was that I got a characteristic "3-bite" pattern on my leg and arms, so I left early because I was concerned about bed bugs. I cannot claim this is from there - but it's something that makes me nervous - so if you stay here, go on youtube and learn how to inspect the mattress. It's would be very clear if they have them or not. I didn't know how to do an inspection until now or I would've looked. They probably do not - I was outside a lot and it could be a lot of things - but bed bugs are spreading everywhere. Not even NYC luxury hotels are immune. Mosquitos do not bite in this line-of-3 pattern. Nothing "came home with me" (i.e. I've not been bitten again) - so I don't think it was that... but it always a good idea to inspect (it takes 5 minutes).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean Grove, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My better 1/2 & myself have been vacationing in P-Town for about 16 summers now - we have finally found a great one to return to (since our 1st "favourite" B&B went "Seasonal" & then Apartments/Condos (The Archer Inn.) Well, The Ampersand ("&") Guesthouse has been a welcomed "find" after a couple years looking & trying other options. The rooms are spacious & very clean. The couple who run the place are very helpful & they bake fresh muffins daily. The entire "breakfast" is a tad on the "sparse" side; but again, what they do put out is always very "fresh" and yummy. The location of the property is excellent as well, down on a quiet West End Side Street, but just 2 blocks off Commercial & the Bay and 5 blocks from our favourite Mexican restaurant up there (Lorraine's, DO try it!)... All in all I'd recommend this place to even my best of friends.

Room Tip: look at the website (the downstairs room, #1 i think) was huge (as B&B's go) and the "...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My dear friend, who works in a high end hotel, recommended this quaint full of character guesthouse to me. They were so welcoming and inviting. I even got a orientation from the owner on some amazing places in Provincetown during my stay. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: I'm a light sleeper, who is not tall. The Ampersand Room had good views and in the A-frame room...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

As my other reviews indicate, I am not a big B&B person and usually try to avoid them -- at all costs. That said, it is hard to get around not staying in an Inn or B&B in Provincetown unless you have a large group and can rent a house or condo – or deep pockets. Friends recommended the Ampersand Inn and we tried it … and enjoyed it.

We did not stay in the Inn’s typical guest rooms, but decided to spend more to stay in a studio apartment in a detached building on the property. The apartment was tidy, comfortable, and is filled with sunlight and has views of the ocean. The kitchen was fully equipped with coffeemaker, toaster, pans, etc. The furnishings – while not new – were clean and well-maintained. All the plumbing was good & functional. The Inn offers internet wi-fi, cable TV, A/C, and a daily continental breakfast until 11am. As we were staying in the apartment, we did not get daily maid service, however, were able to get fresh towels or linen we ever we needed them.

Overall, the stay was very nice and relaxed: one enjoyed the security and charm of staying in a B&B compound (the gardens are beautiful), could socialize with fellow guests if interested, or avoid any interaction and come & go independently. The Innkeepers basically left you alone – unless you needed something from them. I really like that.

The Ampersand doesn’t promise or pretend to be anything more than it is: quiet, comfortable, and unobtrusive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Canaan NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We've stayed at a lot of B&B's in P-Town over the years, but none compare to The Ampersand Guesthouse! The owners, Robert and Ken (and staff ;-) are warm, friendly and ready to make your stay a memorable one!! The house is meticulously cared for and simply beautiful. The rooms are filled with period antiques and modern amenities as well. We especially love the rooms on the second floor that open on to a deck with views of the bay. Very romantic! ;-) The Ampersand is in a great location....just a short walk to the heart of P-Town! We love this house (our home away from home!) and look forward to returning year after year (yes, it's that good!) Oh, and I have to mention the daily "made with love" homemade muffins are pretty spectacular!! If you are looking for a truly relaxing and comfortable place to stay, check in to The Ampersand and enjoy!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ampersand Guesthouse? Share your experiences!