“Good Food, Disappointing Service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 106 Restaurants in Provincetown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Food, Disappointing Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Although the food here is usually very good and the view is outstanding there is more often than not a problem with service. On the numerous occasions that I've eaten here I've only been pleased with the service once. The host is never pleasant and the waiters can be dismissive and unaccomodating. But, I keep going back because the food is good. However, my most recent experience finally turned me so off that I'm not sure the food can make up for it. We made a reservation in the cafe for 8:15pm on a Sunday. When we arrived, on time, the host informed us that we could not be seated for another 45 minutes. When I asked why, the answer I got was, "We're busy." Is that any way to treat a customer? I think not. The host ended up seating us in the formal dining room so that we wouldn't have to wait so long even though it was not really where we wanted to be. He told us to tell our waiter that we would like the cafe menu instead of the dining room menu. When we did, you could see that it was not well received by our waiter, but after more than 20 minutes he brought us one cafe menu. When we all ordered salads and burgers again he was not too pleased and it showed. I really like the food here and the location is great, but before I go back and before I can recommend it the restaurant really needs to improve its staff's attitude.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, MA
“Great martini, great service and even greater food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The grapefruit martini is outstanding. It's perfect if you don't want something sweet or with a strong taste of alcohol. the service was impeccable and my tuna sushi tempora was amazing. I also had the pork vindaloo spicey but excellent as was the nan. My only criticism, serve it with Basmati rice not plain white. The chocolate torte was chocolate decadence. Martinis, apps., main course, and dessert for under $90 per person; it's a deal.

Visited October 2012
amsterdam, ny
“Excellent Cuisine and Atmosphere at The Mews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We visit Provincetown, MA each September, enjoy the many great restaurants,.. especially The Mews. Warm and romantic atmosphere with just the right energy level,..interesting decor and harborside views. Perfect for special, memorable occasions. Consistently great food, excellent service. The duck is one of my favorites. Seafood always excellent as well. Some seasonal dishes. The Mews features more vodkas than you ever thought exist! We look forward to dining there a couple of times during our stay.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Troy, New York
“wouldn't accommodate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have finally struck out at the Mews. After several bad experiences there, waiters who would not help with Gluten issues, barely warm food we have decided to no longer frequent this restaurant. We had made 3 attempts over the years for special celebrations there. Our parties of more than 8 were always refused. We could do 2 tables of 4 but not sit together. we were offered an 8:45 seating in the middle of december and stopped to see half of the tables unfilled. I think it is an attitude where people are sure that people will continue to give them business. We will no longer.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“Outer Cape fine dining at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been coming to the Cape and P-town for years. The Mews is one of our favorites for an exceptional and never disappointing dining experience. We go there for brunch on Sundays, with a "to die for build your own Bloody Mary Bar", and dinner a couple nights on our stay. The view is exceptional and the food and service consistently great. They offer a choice of experiences for dinner with an upscale and upbeat bar at the dining area upstairs at night. Downstairs is more quiet with plush booths or comfortable window tables and much more quiet. The staff is exceptional and many of them have been there for years. If you come to Provincetown, this is a must and has a long history of great food and professional servers . . . and who knows, you may even run into some of your favorite movie or Broadway stars who also make this one of their sure-to-go-to stops when visiting P-Town.

• Visited September 2012