“Wonderful stay overall, though in some ways style triumphs over substance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Salt House Inn

You added Salt House Inn to your Saves list
Salt House Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   6 Conwell St., Provincetown, MA 02657   |
Ranked #18 of 70 Provincetown B&B and Inns
“Wonderful stay overall, though in some ways style triumphs over substance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Salt House Inn for two nights in early July. Upon checking in and seeing our room, I appreciated the airy aesthetic and thoughtful minimalistic design elements. Perhaps it was our room choice (#7), but I felt as though some elements of comfort were sacrificed in achieving this minimalistic experience. As travelers embarking on a longer trip (10 days) than our time at the Salt House Inn, we had more clothing and luggage than I felt fit comfortably into the room without compromising the clean and uncluttered feeling I had when I initially saw it. As light packers, my husband and I only had one carry-on each, but as soon as we opened our cases, I felt claustrophobic and as if the small space automatically looked messy and unkempt. A simple way to improve on this, given the small size of the space in our particular room, would be to add shelves in the large open corner area above the mini fridge, to include at least one drawer in a table or nightstand, and perhaps to include luggage racks in one corner of the room.
I had similar feelings about the bathroom, which was aesthetically pleasing in a minimalistic sense, but which would have benefited from a little extra space for toiletries, as the space consisted solely of a stand-alone sink and two shelves above the toilet which were already full with necessary items like toilet paper and Kleenex.
Two more small details: our two windows had only thin blinds to keep out the various streetlights and outer building light at night. I had to ask the housekeeper for extra towels to drape over the windows because too much light was coming in. Granted, I am a finicky sleeper who prefers very dark and quiet rooms, but an upscale boutique hotel should offer more attention to these details, and possibly upgrade to quality wooden shutters, as blackout curtains may interfere with the aesthetic theme.
Breakfasts are delicious, but in our two mornings at the inn, they were overwhelmingly sweet, consisting of granola, yogurt, smoothies, sweet breads, and pre-sweetened baked oatmeal. All dishes were delicious, but the ratio of sweet to savory could be improved upon for guests who prefer a less sugary breakfast.
Overall, a charming place with a fantastic location and helpful staff. I would stay again, but with the awareness that if I am on an extended trip, it may be worth it to go for a larger room to avoid the aforementioned issues.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Jenna K. Like all of the buildings in Provincetown, our historic 19th century building has retained fabulous character and a few quirks after it was converted to an inn. This character also contributes to our varied room types and subsequent sizing. Our Superior Double room types (like Room 7 that you stayed in) are one of the smallest room types we have - we have other much larger rooms with more space to accommodate a wide variety of needs. I am thrilled to hear that you found our minimalist design aesthetically pleasing.

We generally receive overwhelmingly positive feedback on our complimentary breakfast’s broad selection that allows our guests the option to either be decadent and enjoy our freshly baked goods or opt for more healthy options like our yogurt parfait station with house made granola. Our menu changes daily, offering a wide variety of options – just today, our garden vegetable strata with ham and herbed goat cheese was a huge hit along with our freshly baked blueberry crumble cake! I am sorry to hear that our menu did not satisfy your personal preferences.

Our staff works hard to provide our guests with a fabulous experience that includes many amenities and services that are not typically associated with a bed and breakfast - thank you for recognizing their efforts. While our inn’s thoughtful design and renovation lends to an improved guest experience that is not typically found on the Outer Cape, we are still a bed and breakfast set in a historic building – not a luxury boutique hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback - we hope to have the opportunity to host you and your husband again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed at the Salt House Inn for 7 nights in June and we cannot wait to go back next year! Kevin and David are charming and helpful hosts, and they made our stay all the more pleasant. The location of the Inn is ideal, 5 minutes walk from the pier where the fast ferry drops you, and a couple of minutes walk to Commercial Street (just far enough away to make for a very peaceful night’s sleep). The rooms are stylish and immaculately clean and I can say with honesty that both me and my husband had the most amazing sleeps in one of THE most comfortable beds we have ever slept in!! The AC unit is so quiet and it was lovely to come home from the beach to a cool room that had been beautifully made up by Nikki or Barbara, both of whom were lovely people. The only suggestion I would make is for a little more storage, be it a couple of extra shelves or some drawers, but maybe I had over packed! As other reviewers have already mentioned, the breakfasts are fabulous, and every day of our 7 night stay we looked forward to the new and delicious treats that awaited us, and they were truly delicious! We got great recommendations when we arrived for restaurants to visit and things to do, and we loved Patio, Mac’s Seafood and the Marc by Marc Jacobs Store! If you are going to Provincetown, I would not hesitate in recommending that you stay at the Salt House Inn.

Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
We wish you were still here too, Krystal! I appreciate your note about how amazing our location is - far enough back from Commercial Street that you can enjoy a peaceful and quiet stay, but only a block away from all of the action! Nikki and Barbara do a fabulous job keeping our rooms extremely clean, and we appreciate your recognition of them - I will be sure to pass your thoughtful comments along to them. Thank you for your kind words and feedback... we hope to see you again the next time you travel across the pond from Ireland!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in the Loft Room and enjoyed every minute. I'm pretty fussy, being a designer, but this place lived up to my hopes and expectations. The bed was huge and fantastically comfortable. The shower room was very well equipped with lots of products, fluffy towels etc. But most of all I loved the simplicity of design, little graphic touches and curiosities on the wall. We found the outside seating areas and planting to be charming. The breakfast menu changes daily and was delicious, (maybe on the sweet side for some, but there were plenty of savoury too). As with most hotels sound travels between the rooms but our neighbours didn't disturb us.

You could not ask for more attentive owners and staff, really helpful and clearly enjoying themselves. Thanks Nicky for being so attentive. Would I go back? In a heart beat but I'm going to try Kevin and David's new hotel opening next year because they are going to try and better this one, tough job!

Room Tip: The loft room for space and privacy.
Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I am enthralled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay in The Loft! I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary C.O. Bigelow bath products (aren't they fabulous?!) and our inn's design and aesthetic. Our breakfast menu changes daily, and has a balance of both savory and sweet treats with a focus on sustainable, fresh, and local ingredients - I enjoy eating my breakfast on the outside terrace as well! We appreciate your commendations on our staff and will pass along your kind words. We are looking forward to hosting you again here at Salt House Inn - or at our new hotel next year!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This is second year I have stayed @ the Salt House and it is indicative of my love for this place that I have booked for a third time in 2015. For me, the customer focus is exemplary. Kevin and his super team run a very tight ship. The rooms are minimalist, spotless and have air con, fridge and the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. If you want ostentation and indifferent service look elsewhere. The location is just a block away from the main drag and there is ample provision for parking. The breakfasts are simply amazing, the best I have ever had whilst travelling. Kevin and his team put tremendous effort into the daily offerings, there is literally something for all tastes, appetites and girths. Rest assured you will not go hungry. Kevin and David are opening another Hotel in P'town and I am positive it will be equally as successful as the Salt House-deservedly so. They undoubtably have the Midas touch and you would be foolish to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014
Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We appreciate your kind words and loyalty to Salt House Inn! Thank you for recognizing the strong emphasis we put on providing quality and exemplary customer service. Our entire staff truly care about providing each guest with a pleasant and memorable experience that is surpasses their expectations. I completely agree with you on the beds - our custom-made mattresses are incredibly comfortable! It means the world to us to have guests return to visit the inn again, and we are sincerely looking forward to hosting you again in 2015.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I read what I now view as an over-inflated puff piece from Boston Spirit magazine that described the "luxury" property that the two co-owners transformed from previous owners last year. Upon arrival you face a open rock pit of a parking area surrounded by overgrown gardens that don't seem to have been cared for as no pruning or weeding is evident. There are no sign directing you to where you should check in. Once you figure it out, obtain your room keys and view your room, you notice that you are in a small room and bath (for 2 people) that is just painted white with few furnishings. The wooden floors that replaced the carpet in the hallway make for sleeping impossible at night because of the guests returning at all hours of the evening and morning, opening a creaking loud door and walking the wooden floors (there is a reason why hotels rarely use wooden floors in hallways!!). The common balcony for all to use has ample places to sit, read and soak in the sun but the place is in need of updating from the paint peeling on the stair rails to the over-weathered shingles. From the outside, it looks run down and then combine it with the overgrown gardens, the hotel looked shabby to me and my partner. The only plus is the breakfast which is all homemade, changes daily and is staffed by very nice Jamaican women. Would I stay here again? No.

Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, Marco. We are deeply disappointed to hear that our newly renovated property did not meet your personal design and aesthetic tastes. We worked very hard to attend to every detail to make Salt House Inn a destination that redefines the bed and breakfast experience here in Provincetown, and to give our guests an authentic taste of life on Cape Cod.

Our building dates to the mid 19th century and - like most of the inns in town - was not originally built as a hotel and therefore has some quirks. While our corridors do have runners down them to help reduce disruption, there is still some ambient noise. I am sorry that you didn't bring your concerns regarding this to our attention during your stay so we could have tried to address them. Our gardens are planted with local, water conscious wild flowers that help us protect our very scarce natural resource of fresh water here on the Outer Cape. The weathered shingles are original to the inn and are in fact tightly regulated by the Provincetown Historic District Commission (ensures that every building in town retains the historic charm and local architectural heritage for visitors to enjoy year after year).

I am glad you enjoyed our freshly prepared, daily changing breakfasts and our friendly staff each morning. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future and if you contact me directly I will ensure you have a more pleasant and memorable stay.
Milton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This tiny inn is 2 blocks from Commercial St. The rooms are small, but great quality and super clean. Attention is paid to great customer service and every experiential detail. The breakfast was outstanding!
The only thing left desired was a strong cup of coffee.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and invaluable feedback, VHowland. Our 15-room inn is the perfect size to allow us to tailor every personal detail of each guest's experience to ensure that you have an enjoyable and memorable stay. For example, it would have been our pleasure to make you a personal cup of extra-extra-strength coffee each morning in our french press - please let me know the dates of your next visit so that I can arrange this for you. We aim to exceed your expectations, and I am glad you enjoyed our hospitality. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My fiance and I spent the weekend at Salt House Inn and we really enjoyed ourselves. Breakfasts were made every morning (and so yummy and healthy!) and we absolutely loved Kevin! He was extremely accommodating, friendly and helpfull, as was the rest of the staff. Rooms were very clean and chic ;-) Look forward to staying there again.

Julia H, Manager at Salt House Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Melissa, I am thrilled that our inn served as an enjoyable getaway weekend for you and your fiancé. We pride ourselves on providing a breakfast that offers both sweet and savory treats with many healthy options - I hope you had a chance to enjoy some of our house-made granolas with our yogurt parfait-of-the-day! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.