“Great place to stay once you ignore the decor.” 4 of 5 stars

Surfside Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   543 Commercial Street, Provincetown, MA 02657   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Provincetown
Dublin, Ireland
“Great place to stay once you ignore the decor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed here from the 12th to the 18th of August this year, and I have to say, it was a good choice of hotel. We had one of the waterside rooms, with a balcony overlooking the sea and beach, which was really nice. Okay, the balcony is shared, but once you overlook people passing your window, it’s a really great view to start your day or to relax after an evening on the town. The location isn’t bad, just over 1km to the centre of P-Town along Commercial street, about 10 minutes walk at a leisurely pace, and we found it nice to leave the hustle of the town centre to return to a quieter area to sleep.

The rooms were clean and spacious, although in need of some decoration, and the air con worked (albeit it sounded like a harrier jump jet landing on your balcony, so you wont be leaving it on over night!). I know some people here mentioned noise around the pool, but to be honest we never heard anything in our room expect the lapping of waves on the beach when the balcony door was open. The staff here were fantastic, a real selling point for staying here, and we found them really helpful and a great source of advice for our stay. There is a pool available, and they have free WiFi in the receptions area, as well as a PC for guests use if you don’t have a laptop with you.

On the down side, I thought the room was a little pricey for what you got, and I would advise you give the breakfast a miss, it really wasn’t up to much. I’d recommend Café Heaven (near the town hall) for a fantastic breakfast experience, but arrive early, there were queues to get in here. Security in the room was a bit of a worry initially:- the bathroom window (which opened to a public balcony) had no lock on it at all, so it could be opened from the outside, and the door lock on the sea side balcony was flimsy at best. Although the hotel will provide you with a small safety deposit box at no charge for things like passports and cash, this isn’t much good if you have larger items of value like a laptop. Having said that, we had no issues, and everything was as we left it in the morning. Another negative, there is a large cap park for hotel guests, but at the weekend, it was almost impossible to get a spot after 7pm.

Overall, I would recommend this place to stay, especially if you get one of the water-side rooms, and we certainly enjoyed out stay there and would definitely try here again when we return.

When in P-Town I would recommend the whale watching (we used Dolphin Fleet), it was a fantastic experience, and delivered what they said they would. As for eating, the Art House does a nice breakfast (but you’ll have to contend with their awkward ordering process), although Café Heaven tops our recommendations. We found Bubala’s is a nice spot for evening dining and a great people watching spot, and for really great sushi and superb staff try the Monkey Bar a few doors down. A car is kind of a must of you want to explore the Cape, but you’ll find P-Town is the real jewel and you won’t be disappointed!

• Liked — Great staff, nice location, superb view from the water side rooms.
  • Disliked — Decor was in need of updating, and the safty of items in the room was a concern.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Had a courtside room with a king bed. The outside carpeting is really in need of replacing. There was mold and mildew growing on it everywhere. The interior carpeting on our floor did look new as did the carpeting in the room. It's nice to have a fridge in the room, along with microwave and coffee maker, neither of which I used, I need good strong coffee. The first thing I did was check the bathroom, I have a thing about dirty bathrooms, the toilet and sink were fine but there was a huge black hair sticking out of a face cloth that was on the rim on the tub, you COULD NOT MISS IT, there was also another long black hair in the tub. Tub is very old, had cracks in it. Air worked fine, bed was clean and very comfortable. Had no issues with the room being cleaned and bathroom supplies being replaced, that was all goo. Pool was adequate (we only used it once, prefer the ocean). Never had the breakfast but it looked good. Staff was friendly. Good location, not in the thick of things so it's quiet but close enough to walk to town in 15 minutes. Great for if you have pets or small children. Also had wireless access in our 3rd floor room without having to call the desk and asking for a password, that annoys me. Would definately stay there again.

• Liked — comfy bed and fridge in room
  • Disliked — needs updating and could be a little cleaner
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

The hotel is drab from the outside but gets better as you reach the reception area.

It is a 10 -15 min walk from the centre of Provincetown along Commercial Street and located at the end of the art gallery area which includes some excellent restaurants.

I had a courtside room which overlooked Commercial Street. It had a door on an inner corridor and one on the outer terrace area which had a glimpse of the sea in between 2 buildings.

On arrival my room was very spacious, clean, had a fridge, iron , coffee making machine (very weak coffee) and microwave but had a strange smell which was evident every time I entered. I think it was because it was carpeted and because of the heavy rain that had fallen before my visit.

On my 2nd evening I had a bath using some muscle relaxing bath oil for my tired muscles. This left a slight ring around the bath and it wasn't cleaned for the duration od my stay. I also got the impression that the bathroom was not checked at all as the shampoo etc was not replaced nor were the plastic glasses although the paper cups for the coffee were replaced daily.

The TV had several channels to choose but the AC did not cool the room. This was not a big problem as the weather was not very hot and the evening temp dropped to the low 60's but it was considered unseasonal weather for August.

The breakfast was OK but very crowded.

If you don't like dogs (I do) don't stay here as they are everywhere.

Overall, it was fine and I really didn't have any complaints, I also found the staff to be very helpful.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The smell in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

we stayed there 9-11th aug and at first it seemed a tad dissapointing with the look of the hotel and the inside of the rooms in particular.
room was bay facing and the carpet was soo old , it couldnt be cleaned anymore even if you spent an entire day on it.
bathroom was not clean.

could say more but why, i dont think the hotel is going to change since they have a captive clientele.

• Liked — toiletries
  • Disliked — rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saratoga Springs, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed there for three nights with our 7 year old son. It was a great location for families. The pool usually had some kids in it, which made our son very happy. The private beach was nice. The room was remodeled and while not perfect, it was better than expected for $200/night on the beach in cape cod. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were very comfortable. Walls were thin (as are most older hotels on the beach), but I brought my white noise machine and slept really well. The free continental breakfast was gross, and Ptown doesn't seem to really *do* breakfast. The in-room coffeemaker was one of those pod things, which sucked because I had brought good coffee and couldn't brew it. Location was about 1/2 mile from downtown, which was nice in that there was no club craziness or noise, but bad because it was a long walk anywhere.

All in all, would stay again, but would bring way to brew coffee and would bring my white noise machine.

• Liked — Family Friendly
  • Disliked — distance from downtown
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salem, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

After reading many favorable reviews, my six sisters and I decided to book with Surfside for the 2008 PMC. We planned the trip back in January understanding what a busy weekend it would be because of the PMC. I received an email confirmation back on January 26th with my reservation number and again in June I re-confirmed with the General Manager and received an email reply regarding check in times. I assumed that based on the confirmation with the reservation number that I was all set. My sisters and I packed up our vehicles and drove the 3 hours - We arrived early (10:30 AM) and asked if we could check in, Because it was so busy, I was told we would need to wait until 3:00 PM but the General Manager took my name and handed me parking cards for the lot and told us to come back at 3:00. So we spent a great day walking around P-town and returned promptly at 3:00 to check in. This is where the experience went south.....Although I had my email confirmations with the reservation and another email from the general manager herself from June, I was told that the reservation was cancelled on January 23rd. My reservation confirmation was dated January 26th...not quite sure how I can cancel 3 days before I booked but somehow they found a way.....and blamed me....I was very upset and asked the woman to explain to me how this could happen. I never received any email regarding the cancellation. I had everything printed out and available for them to see. She blamed a 3rd party booking company and took no ownership. I travel extensively and I have never in my life been treated so poorly. I was told that there were no rooms available and there was nothing they could do. I would not accept this and I continued to press and told the General Manager that I would not leave the hotel lobby until she found something to accomodate the 7 of us. After dialing every place in the phone book under my watchful eye, she found something 1/2 hour away in Welfleet. She tossed the phone at me and said Take this, it's all you're going to get....Having no choice, we spoke to nice gentleman at the Welfleet Motel and took the reservation. I spent over 2 hours in the lobby of the hotel, at one point in tears as we had come to cheer our sister on at the Family finish like we have done for the last couple years. The General Manager never apologized and never took ownership - blaming me repeatedly for their error, despite all of the printed documentation I presented. Before I left, I asked the woman why throughout the whole ordeal, even after showing her an email with her own name on it, did she not apologize....She simply said "I was going to offer you a gift certificate"....I declined as I would never do business with a place where the General Manager flat out lies and treats people so poorly...Good luck to anyone who books here...I suggest a phone call or a drive by before you show up for your room. At the end of the day, the Welfeet Motel was great and the people some of the kindest I've encountered - see separate review for this lovely little place.

• Liked — Can't say - they cancelled our reservation - never got to see the room!
  • Disliked — The General Manager's terrible attitude and lack of people skills
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

This hotel is in a great location, quiet and within walking distance of the center of Ptown. While the rooms are modern and adequate the outside of the building is in need of attention. The external hallways are covered in carpet that can smell and was dirty with sand for our stay. In some places the carpet has been pulled up in nned of repair. The paint work is terrible. The pool is adequate but in need of an update. There were old sofas in next to reception and armchairs at the stairwell we used giving the place a downmarket feel even in July! The reception told me they were waiting for them to be taken away but they remained during our 4 day stay!
The room we had had two doors. One to the internal; hallway and one to the external hallway. The door to the internal hallway woul not bolt with the deadlock to stop maids entering with keys (we put bags in front of the doors at night). If 4 people share a room the air conditioning unit will blow about 18inches from the person in the bed nearest the window making it unusable for any length of time! The carpet in our room was wet for our stay. The wet patch was near the external door and it had rained heavily prior to our arrival so it may not seal. the doors had obviously been hacked often as they did not fit the door frame very well.
I did not find the staff very friendly. Note that reception does not open until 8am even if you want to checkout. The breakfast was ok but almost too much effort with the crowds and fight for food but that is probabaly only in the busiest periods.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tired outside
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Surfside Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!