“Ocean views/breezes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Ocean views/breezes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

A little get away from the frantic pace of life....comforts of home with friendly staff...sunsets/sunrises over the ocean...tide down evening, up at sunrise,,,relaxing, clean,,,pools inside and outside for the swimmers...relaxing by the ocean on large decks, patios off each room

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Primo location! Gorgeous view! Right on the beach. Helpful staff, very willing to help harp instrument stay safe ! Great place for musicians to stay during wedding gigs! Located close to everything - near Plymouth, across the street from Plimoth plantation.Clean outdoor and indoor pools. Quiet and restful place.

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been going for over 23 years. Most of the staff also have been there. The owners seen to work very hard in making sure all is in tip top shape. Love how relax I feel after only one day stay. I go for business But it still feels like I on a vacation. Plus I do go for R&R also. Nancy V

Room Tip: ASK FOR a back door Walk Out Room Ocean IS Right There
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

To set you expectations - this is a Motel (it says so in the big sign).
The rooms and amenities are basic but had everything we needed.
The deck to the beach is just awesome.
The in-door pool is great for all weather and has more then enough chairs and loungers.
Breakfast was nice and basic, 4-5 type of cornflakes, a few type of bread (bagels, English muffins ..), OJ, Coffee and some muffins. They ran out of cream cheese just after we got there (8:30am).
The reason for 4 start is that the price was a bit high for this area for this season for this level of room (paid $150 PER night for 2 double rooms).

Room Tip: We had the chance to take an ocean facing room for $30 more a night. We did not since the entire hot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed one night, off season, mid week. I called before I booked on line because we were only going to use the pool. I called to make sure it was open and said we were coming just to use the pool. They didn't let me know that they had a school group using it and we couldn't use it from 7:15 to 8:00. Not a big deal.
I had a room (115) RIGHT near the office. I kept trying to get my wifi to work (to research restaurants) and I went to the front desk. A man behind the counter (I assume owner because I don't think they hire someone that grumpy) said he couldn't imagine what was wrong and he'd send someone to my room. No one ever came.
When I went to the bar to sit and use it the bartender let me know they cant seem to get the wifi to work in many parts of the hotel. Hmph. Had I known that I wouldn't have gone and tried and tried to get the thing going.
The room was ok. It smelled a little too bleachy but that's better than musty, in my book. Seemed pretty clean but the blanket was crunchy :( . It was NOT clean. Yuck.
The location is great, right on the water, but there was no way to get down to the beach off season because they pull up the stairs. Also If you are planning on using the beach it is non-existent during high tide.

Drinks at the bar are a bit pricey (to me). I got a Vodka drink and it was over 7 dollars. Beer was more reasonable- it was 3-4 dollars. I couldn't charge to my room.

On my way out I went to the breakfast, which was some of those store bought mini muffins, coffee, toast and 3 different cereals.
I opted not to get the breakfast but did get a coffee. I had to wait (no big deal) but the staffer walked by while several of us were waiting for and she sounded a bit exasperated "Don't worry, I promise you'll get your coffee".

Sooo, it really was fine, but it was certainly no magical experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Natick, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Swatch watches, leg warmers, Rubik's Cube, & Nintendo. These are all things I would not have been surprised to see in my room at Pilgrim Sands.
!st time staying at Pilgrim Sands. Pilgrim sands, located right of RTE 3A is about 3 miles away from Plymouth Center. That proximity along with Trip Advisor reviews, free WI-FI, & the fact that the Sands was located right on the ocean made this my hotel of choice.
Check in was easy and we were handed a key to our room on the front South side. The North side of the hotel, we learned later, has been through some recent renovations due to major storms over the past few years. The South side has obviously not been updated for decades. Rooms face either Warren St or if you are lucky, the backside room face the ocean. Upon entering, I immediately was hit with a musty/moldy smell. I think because windows in the rooms are not opened often due to privacy and security reasons plus the old age of the wood furniture and carpet = an unpleasant room smell. I left the entrance door open for an hour or so to try to let the room air out, but it was 50 degrees outside and just to cold to leave the door open any longer.
Rooms are spacious & 1st glance clean. I had a room with 2 double beds, and 1 twin and along with 2 sitting chairs, a mini fridge, and a desk, there was plenty of room. Bathroom was adequate. The desk was situated next to the tv. There were no extra outlets available to plug my computer or phone in. There was 1 extra outlet on the opposite side of the room, but of course, no desk there. Some other minor issues--the tv was not flat screen, but a much larger Phillips tube television with poor picture quality. They did have NECN. The tv was so big, that I could not position it on the cabinet it was on because the base was too big and would have fallen off. It could not be positioned correctly so I could watch tv in my bed. I turned the fan on for a little while to see if it would help with the smell and because the curtains covered the ac/fan unit, the air just blew right up the overlapping curtains. I could see this as a problem if a/c is needed in the room. The curtains on the main front window could not be closed completely. There was a visible 1/2" to inch opening that people could still see through. That made my wife and I uncomfortable while we were sleeping. She took her hair clip and we used that to keep the curtains closed. There was a section near the floor where the paint has peeled off. Would have taken someone 1 hour to repaint, but has been left neglected for how long? The greenish paisley comforters on the beds look like they have been around for many many years, and I have a feeling they are not changed or cleaned in between guests. We did see the room cleaner with her cleaning cart and she did have new linens and towels available, The walls are really thin. I could hear the shower go on on an adjacent room. I could hear children running up and down the stairs to our 2nd floor. I could hear just about every entrance door closing shut, along with the cars on the main street, This was about 8AM on Sunday. Unfortunately I could not hear the ocean at all.
One cleaning issue---when I pulled back the comforter our 1st night, there was a bottle cap and small cork on the floor. This had been missed by the room cleaner.
Breakfast is provided in the lounge. Bagels, toast, danish, cereal, coffee and juices. There was live music on Friday night when we arrived and they had a guitar singer on Saturday night-which seemed to be family friendly. Music will probably be moved outside when the weather gets better. There is a bar. Nothing fancy, but a place to go to as there is nothing real close by to have after dinner drinks or watch the baseball game. We enjoyed our conversation with the bartender, Barry. They do have a small menu to order food, and I did see a plate of nachos that looked good, And although a previous reviewer suggested you must try the Lostah rolls, shrimp & scallops and quahogs, keep in mind that they use a microwave and convection oven only to prepare food in 10 minutes or less, Never used the indoor pool.
The key in staying at the hotel is the beach. it was too cold for us to even walk the beach. It is nice to look at the ocean. What an advantage it is to be so close to the water and not have to drive or pay for parking in the Summer. The hotel does have several nice decks overlooking the ocean. But if you are not going to partake in the sun and water, I do not recommend Pilgrim Sands.There are cheaper and more modern hotels closer to Plymouth Center,
Hoping they do make some renovations and updates to the rooms. Paint, furniture, bedding, lighting. Then this would be a year round destination instead of just a summer destination.

One more thing-not crazy about the $150 security deposit credit card hold

Room Tip: Ask for North side facing beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Very nice place to stay. Rooms had great view of the beach. Sliding glass doors opened onto a shared deck that you could stand out on. We wanted to leave the doors open all night just to hear the waves. The pool some how felt like you were in the ocean. Maybe they filled it with salt water. Very nice staff. I took the kids for a surprise getaway in April. Did not appear as if you could swim at the hotels beach due to the rocks but you could walk to a place to swim I'm sure. Look forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pilgrim Sands on Long Beach? Share your experiences!