“Quirky house, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Thaddeus Clapp House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsfield
The Thaddeus Clapp House
You added The Thaddeus Clapp House to your Saves list
74 Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01201   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Pittsfield B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Quirky house, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

This is a 19th century house which is now used for B and B. We were in the Butler's Pantry, now called the William Stanley Suite , with a bed and area for sitting , fridge, kettle etc. We had our own veranda with cane shairs. Very nice. The house is a bit spooky (there is supposed to be a ghost!). The rooms are clean, but we stayed 3 nights and after the first night our room was not made up. The owner mentioned the 'maid had the day off' . Rather strange service !

Breakfast adequate, but nothing special. I can't eat any wheat and there was no attempt to provide anything suitable ( eg corn or rye bread) . Owner is very talkative and knowledgable about the area, but only around at breakfast. You have to phone her when you arrive or if you want anything.

It was a good place to be to visit the Berkshires. You can walk to Pittsfield and there are some good places to eat. (try Patricks Pub and flavours, Malasian Restaurant).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Westminster, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I got into town late and parked out front. There was a phone in the entryway that gave you a number to call. The person who answered said they would be right there and within a few minutes came right out.

I immediately felt comfortable when I was greeted by the owner Rebecca. She let me choose if I wanted to be on the ground floor or not (I chose the second floor) and brought me into my room. Not only did she bring me to my room but explained everything that was in my room right down to the gas fireplace in the sitting room!

When she was about to leave she asked what time I needed to be at the hospital (I was in town for business) and I told her 8am. Since breakfast isn't usually served at that time she said she would make it special for me. I told her cereal was fine.

The bathroom had a large claw foot tub, there was plenty of closet space,complimentary robes, a large comfy bed with a gorgeous (and soft) comforter, a sitting room with a gas fireplace and tv. There was also a small table where you could plug in your laptop for internet access.

In the morning Rebecca was up reading the paper in the beautifully decorated dining room. There was coffee, orange juice, several choices of cereal, and some amazing bread Rebecca made. The china she served breakfast on was so delicate, I felt like it was a special occasion.

Rebecca made sure I knew all of the local attractions and that I had enough to eat. The next morning I would be waking up even earlier. When I got back to my room she had left 2 blueberry muffins and a note saying she hoped I had a nice trip home. She also left milk and orange juice in the fridge so I could have breakfast in the morning.

The only real complaints I have are that is smells like an old house. BUT....in its defense...it IS an old house. Think of when you sleep over your grandmother's house. You eventually get used to the smell.

Also, the first night I had a hard time sleeping because of the traffic noises. The second night I discovered the air conditioner! I turned it on fan and it completely drowned it out!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

My adult daughter and I did not have a good experience at The Thaddeus Clapp House, a B & B in Pittsfield, MA. I made the reservation 4+ months ahead of time and had printed out the confirmation that was emailed to me. It showed 2 people, a specific room we had reserved, and a specific dollar total for the two nights, including tax. When we arrived at the B & B, the owner had changed our room, didn't acknowledge that she had changed it (to the handicapped room) until I said that the room she put us in didn't seem to be the one I reserved, and I showed her my printed copy of her confirmation email. She told us she "upgraded" us. In spite of a no-smoking rule, every single time we walked into the lobby, the place reeked of cigarette smoke. I'm guessing that the owner smokes in her quarters, and the smell in the lobby made entering the building each time very unpleasant. When we went to check out after our 2 night stay, the owner brought me a charge slip to sign that was more than 25% higher than the total price, including tax, that was on our confirmation email that I had with me. When I politely objected, she told me that there was a $25 additional charge per night for a 2nd person in the room! I pointed out that the confirmation email showed "2 guests" in the room, and that I had never heard of being charged more for a 2nd person in a room -- and I travel a lot! She was quite intimidating, trying to embarrass me, I believe, into accepting her higher charges, telling me that she wouldn't be making any money, etc. I politely held me ground and so she then rang up a charge credit, which still shorted me around $5, but at that point we had to leave for the airport and so I paid her about $5 more than on my confirmation email which showed taxes and all. The combination of the owner changing our room and trying to increase my bill by more than 25% pretty much convinced me that she is not someone that I would ever want to do business with again -- in spite of the room being quite adequate and our stay - other than the cigarette smoke - being satisfactory. The breakfasts were adequate, nothing special for a B & B.

• Stayed March 2010
Banstead UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We spent two lovely days in this attractive and well positioned B&B and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The large room with a lovely gas burning stove contained a comfortable large bed and relaxing sitting area. The short walk to town was easy - despite extensive sidewalk renovation - and our hostess, Rebecca, was full of ideas of trips and sights to see.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport,RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Comfortable room with private porch; can't beat the location-could walk to all downtown attractions and easy access to highways; Rebecca (the innkeeper) provided a wealh of information about the area. Would definately recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

The Thaddeus Clapp House is what a Victorian B&B should be. Our suite included furnishings that ranged from almost contemporary (the king bed) to elegant Victorian (the settee.) Behind lavish paneling we had a mini-kitchenette complete with a refrigerator, complimentary water and sodas, wine glasses and a decanter of red wine. The closet space was generous and the bathroom brightly lit. Our second room was a small TV room with a gas hearth stove and two comfy armchairs. It seems that the attempt had been made to provide everything a traveler could need,. Offstreet parking, a convenient location and lovely common rooms on the first floor made it easy to want to stay an extra night.

Our hostess was super-knowledgeable about Pittsfield, the theater, local history, places to go, and much more. She joined us in the charming breakfast room and held center stage telling stories and commenting on all she knew. (it was a bit too much talking.) The breakfast included homemade blueberry French toast, scrambled eggs, a thick slice of ham besides cereals, coffee, and the usual. Overall, a nice experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
sweetviolet017
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

This B&B was truly amazing. Upon arrival, Rebecca, the Innkeeper, greeted us warmly and made us feel right at home. We stayed in the Herman Melville suite. The King Bed was so comfortable I fell right asleep when I got on it! Also, the fireplace turned on with the flip of a switch, which kept us nice and toasty. The room was very clean and beautifully decorated. We also had an amazing breakfast the next morning. Highly recommended for a quiet getaway.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Thaddeus Clapp House? Share your experiences!