“Cork or no cork” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 148 restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine Italian Dining offering Fresh Seafood, Homemade Pasta, Veal and Daily Specials. Casual Dress. Handicapped Accessible. Outdoor Seating with 2 Fire Pits. Private Rooms, Catering off and onsite available. Banquet Rooms, Extensive Platter Menu to take a piece of Mazzeo's home with you! Delivery Available.
ny
“Cork or no cork”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at this restaurant in July 2013. As we were dining I noticed that the table of 8 across from us had brought 3 bottles of their own wine which the waitress corked for them. I called the waitress over and asked her about it. She told me that you can bring your own wine and the restaurant will cork it for you for $10.00 a bottle. We made a reservation to come back to the restaurant in 2 weeks with friends. We brought with us a bottle of our favorite wine. The owner came over and said we don't allow customers to bring in their own bottles of wine unless it's a large group (?). We told him of our earlier conversation with the waitress and he said ok this time. When our bill arrived we saw that we were charged a $30.00 corkage fee!! I asked to speak to the owner again. There are 2 brothers who own this restaurant. The one we spoke with had left. The other brother said he charged us what the cheapest bottle of wine on the menu is. I told him that that was not what we were told. He said well we don't normally do that and asked us at least 3 times who was the waitress that told us we could do this 2 weeks earlier. I told him that his brother should have said no to the corkage instead of ok. I told him to charge the extra $10.00 and give me the $30.00 bottle of wine ($40.00 charge). He said " I'm not giving you any wine. It's like bringing your own food and asking me to cook it ...." Finally he said "I'm not gonna stand here and argue with you" he took the bill and reduced the charge to $10.00. Didn't anyone tell him that you should never argue with the customers. It was a very unpleasant ending to what would have been an enjoyable evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
“A lot of smiles from Staff but the food is so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The servers are full of smiles and chatter, but the food itself leaves much to be desired. After all the greeting, the staff disappears, and the food is often dry and unappealing. They weren't even certain which beer they brought and so there was no way to know if what I ordered was what I got.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, Canada
“Good Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Ok Food, far from Excellent. We ate here on a Monday evening while traveling through on vacation. The restaurant was extremely busy at 7pm so we had the choice of eating at the bar or on the patio. We chose the patio which as very spacious and quite nice. Perhaps we hit an off night, but the food was just average...a little disappointing after reading the good reviews. It was one of those dining experiences that was not bad (other than being a bit overpriced) but there was nothing that was really outstanding. If we are to be in the area again, we would not be eating at Mazzeo's.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Italian dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I travel thruout New England on business and while at one of may accounts was referred to Mazzeo's Ristorante for dinner. Service was great and the food exceeded my expectations. I had a salad, Chicken Piccata and had Tiramisu for desert. It was a culinary delight! I will definitely go back and highly recommend this place to everyone!

Visited July 2013
Centerbrook, Connecticut, United States
“Delicious but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had a couple drinks here and a appetizer but could not afford to stay for dinner the entrees were too expensive for our budget a classy Italian restaurant cloth napkins nice silverware and the waitstaff wore all black

Visited July 2013