“Excellent Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Pittsfield B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We were supposed to spend a couple of days in Pittsfield and we chose the White Horse Inn because of its charm and location, as well as the B&B atmosphere that we like. Unfortunately, a grave medical emergency prevented us from being able to fly, thus forcing us to have to cancel our trip. This review is not about the hotel itself, but about customer service: it was excellent as Gary was so understanding and gracious during what was an otherwise trying event. The White Horse Inn will certainly be our first choice when we are able to make our visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the White Horse Inn during January 2011 to join our friends skiing at Jiminy Peak. We booked about a week before our stay online through American Express. I spoke with the inn keeper Gary, a day before our stay to confirm our reservations and him know when we would be arriving. He was very pleasant on the phone and assured me that we could arrive at our leisure. When we arrived at the inn we were greeted very warmly and Gary gave us tour of the house. To our surprise, Gary offered us a complimentary upgrade to the room with the king size bed - which worked out very nicely since my husband is 6’4.

The room was laid out simply, but very clean and the bed was very comfy. The room had two large windows so there was lots of natural light. There was a couch, an iron, a hairdryer and small TV available. Wi-Fi is available at the inn but we had some trouble getting access, but we never ask Gary for assistance on this. The bathroom appeared to have been recently remodeled and it looked wonderful and included shampoo and soap. It was also very clean!

After my husband and I returned to inn from dinner, we had some trouble with the toilet in the bathroom. It was late (around 10pm) and as a last resort, I called Gary’s cell number which he left down stairs in the kitchen for emergencies. He promptly answered the phone and as I explained the situation, he said he would return to the house in about 20 minutes. I was extremely grateful, and after the call ended, I hurried upstairs just as my husband met me half-way to say he had already fixed the toilet. (Argh!) I called Gary back and apologized and he said it was no trouble. The rest of the night was uneventful.

In the morning we went downstairs for breakfast which was served in a very cozy sunroom next to the kitchen. The menu consisted of coffee, teas, juice, breads, fruits, cereals, and a yummy, cheesy tomato- basil frittata that Gary whipped up! That’s right, you heard me…it was delicious...we wanted to ask for seconds, but we didn't want to seem greedy since there were other guests in the house!

We had an absolutely wonderful stay and we’ll definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Simsbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We checked in on a Friday afternoon after skiing at Butternut Mountain. Gary, the inn keeper was there to check us in. Since it is off season, he showed us choices of rooms and we settled on what seemed to be the biggest. There was a beautiful king bed, couch, IRON and HAIRDRYER! Amenities I was hoping would be there:) The bathroom was fresh and clean feeling, something I didn't experience in my last b&b stay elsewhere. Equipped with body wash and shampoo! Everything felt crisp and clean. As the place went under renovation 6 years ago when his family and him bought the former b&b and refurbished the place. It has a modern feel, but still cozy and inn like.

He gave us menus and suggestions for all ranges of food in the area, and made us feel right at home.
The rooms are equipped with small tv's with a dvd player, and WIFI! which is great, as I always need wifi for work. Needless to say, we didn't use our tv! Were happy to not want to.

After a heavenly sleep in our king bed with down comforter! we awoke to cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee, granola, bananas, grapes, kiwi and homemade french bread style french toast with berries! so delicious. In a really nice, bright sunroom. All rooms have cute little wood chip fireplaces.
We enjoyed the outlets and snow shoed at the state park down the road, that Gary kindly suggested.

My friends and family joined us later that afternoon, and Gary was more than accommodating with their stay as well. He's young and local to the area, and very easy and nice to converse with. There is a lovely family room with books and games. We used at our leisure, as if it were our fam. room. We woke up to a really good quiche and again, great coffee. Check out was 11am which was perfect.

Overall, this place was wonderful, we didn't want to leave. Prices were lower since it was off season, and are higher in summer, as Tanglewood is right down the road. I can't wait to come back this fall and enjoy the local area of Lenox and the Berkshires.
He mentioned his mom doing the grounds work of plants and flowers, and I can only imagine it being gorgeous in the summer/spring.

I couldn't wait to write a review, and seeing as there were already positive ones across the board, this could only help the cause more! Perfect getaway with my boyfriend, his first b&b experience and he loved it!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Just as James Taylor faithfully returns to Tanglewood every summer giving an amazing concert, and meeting every expectation year after year - we return to the White Horse Inn every year as well meeting and exceeding our expectations. The McGovern family truly welcomes you into the B&B like you are family but treat you like royalty. Breakfast is offered in a cozy breakfast room, or if you are fortunate like we were to sit on a spacious deck over looking the gardens. Gary makes an amazing hot breakfast item every morning along with fresh fruit and fresh breads made by Kendra and Ms. McGovern. Not just a cold cereal and day old fruit. The rooms though simple are very comfortable, and clean with the bonus of air conditioning. You are not staying at your grandmothers house. We made use of their bbq and enjoyed the home.

Since the McGoverns' are from the area, they are like you own personal concierge service too. They know the area, the shortcuts, the great restaurants, recommendations and if they don't know it, they will happily find the answer.

Its truly a wonderful experience to stay at their home. We look forward to it year after year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Friends and I have stayed here twice in the last two years. Gary, the owner, is very accommodating - made sure breakfast menu was to our liking (well in advance), handled us checking in late, and served us breakfast early. Rooms are large and well appointed; breakfast room is warm and comfortable; outside deck and yard are lovely (but it was too cold for us to take advantage of them). Each year we check around to look for other options, but come back to the White Horse Inn - and we haven't been disappointed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

White Horse is what a B&B should be. Clean, immaculately maintained. It has no trendiness or sparkle of some boutique B&Bs but everything feels substantial, very comfortable & functional. This makes it very cosy. White Horse is facing a State-level route (set back by about 20 meters) but we never were bothered by the road noise. On a weekend the traffic was practically non-existent. The next morning came on Monday, and I faintly heard a few vehicles pass by during the morning "rush" as I was half-asleep, but then the sounds faded away.
The breakfast was top-quality as Gary prepared something new and very tasty every morning. The portions were not large but quite sufficient.
The hosts were friendly, helpful and very pleasant to talk to.
Although the accomodation is not on the cheap side, the value on offer is very good, considering the hotel's proximity to Tanglewood and its clean and well appointed rooms.
When and if I come to Tanglewood again, I will definitely return.
Almost forgot, ask your hosts to take a sample of delicious Lodi apples from a tree in the back!!! You will not see it in any supermarket (and few if any farmers markets in the USA).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Newton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

We had a lovely stay at the White Horse Inn. We booked the trip at the last minute, and were staying for only one night, so the places in Lenox were impossible to get into, and we sort of fell into it. Well, it was a lucky fall, because the place was a treat. It has a lot of charm, and the room was well appointed (albeit not lavish). The price was terrificly reasonable.

What really made it stand out was the proactive personal touch - the innkeeper by email asked us if we wanted him to make reservations, and then suggested a few places (with commentary), and then made the reservation needed. At a delicious breakfast the next morning, he gave us great advice on how to spend our day in the area. The only negative point is the obvious one - it's in Pittsfield and on a main road. Of course, it is in the Central Berkshires so it is well located and so it's not really very far out of the way from Lenox/Stockbridge (but it would have been nicer to stay right in one of those towns since there are more attractions there than in Pittsfield)...

• Liked — Lovely house, helpful innkeeper, good price, very clean
  • Disliked — Somewhat busy street
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!