“Our five-year old's second favorite restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 148 restaurants in Pittsfield
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Japanese cuisine including teriyakis, udons, sushi & sashimi. Serving both lunch & dinner with a bar.
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Our five-year old's second favorite restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Service isn't real speedy, but the food is good. Okay for families. As another reviewer noted, families with small children put over in the corner. But we don't mind too much, as we don't want to bother the couples out on dates.
(her favorite - Panera).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
“Worst service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My kids (ages 11 and 14) love Sushi - so we decided to give Sushi in Pittsfield a try. We were shown to the table behind the door (in the hallway that leads to the bathrooms), even though the place was basically empty. My frown prompted the server to offer a table in the center of the restaurant. When he came to take drink orders I asked him - obviously choosing the wrong word here - if he had a "drink list" - the answer was "no". When I asked what he had to drink he replied "any of the sodas". My question about beer or wine was answered: "Well, look at the bar, it's all there". I had to squint to decipher the labels on the beer bottles, and this whole experience began to feel a little bit surrealistic. I ordered a bottle of Asahi - and when we had ordered our meal I asked if they didn't have any Sake then? I was told that they are listed on their wine list. When I said I thought they didn't have a wine list he argued: "You asked for a drink list, not a wine list!" At this point I felt compelled to ask him why he had to be so rude - whereupon he declared I was rude, not he - in front of my kids! When I asked to speak to the manager he explained that he was the manager, and actually asked us to leave the restaurant! Needless to say, I would not recommend this restaurant - not to anybody, but certainly not to families with children.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“party of 10”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

The staff had no problem catering to a party of 10, and the soup menu was so warming on a chilly Berkshire night .. A few of the table favorites were the udon pot w/seafood, wonton soup, shiro nabe and the beef sukiyake. Easily one of the best dining spots in the area. Thanks again to the staff at Shiro! See ya soon..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere