“New Year's Eve 2008” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersham
Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant
You added Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant to your Saves list
111 N Main St, Petersham, MA 01366   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersham B&B and Inns
worcester, ma.
“New Year's Eve 2008”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

The howling winds, single digit temps, and accumulating snow didn't deter us. We arrived ready for an intimate , comfortable evening and the inn was perfect !
Decorated in beautiful Christmas finery, the hosts warmly greeted us and gave us a tour of their home. From the Library, to sitting room, to our bedroom, the fires glowed warmth and hospitality. Soft music throughout, numerous mementos of their European travels, books, all made the surroundings interesting, but not cluttered.
We stayed in the "Oriental" room, the decor classic , antiques abound, grass cloth walls and ceilings. The brass bed and sitting area comfortable from the fireplace's glow.
Dinner , a set menu for the eve, was delicious. Wine pairings amazing, not elitist. Perfect complement to the dishes. Mark and Deni brought their culinary genius to each course. Morning breakfast was delightful, fresh popovers, fruit and an award winning pancake recipe.
This inn is a jewel in a rural area. I had to ask to see the animals, they were not visual, nor an inconvenience. I would have loved more interaction.
We rang in the New Year wondrously, in a magical place. We will definitely return. Thank you Mark and Deni .

• Liked — Privacy, fine dining, all needs met without intrusion. Beautiful surroundings.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

The Inn at Clamber Hill is tucked away in the quaint town of Petersham, MA. We were thrilled to drive up the long driveway and see babbling brooks, horses and 2 very friendly dogs. The Inn is quiet and set on beautiful grounds. The Inn keepers are just the right kind: friendly, talkative, there whenever you need them, but not intrusive. The breakfasts were large and impressive; we didn't need lunch either day! We had a romantic dinner in their Winter Garden room with great wine and great food. We kept the fireplace in our room blazing the entire time and enjoyed the complimentary brandy nightcaps.

Pros: dog friendly, private, great food, friendly inn-keepers and nice setting (you really don't even need to leave the grounds if you're just looking to relax).

Cons: depending on the time of year, there is either lots to do or not a lot to do in the surrounding area (we went to the Quabbin Reservoir and enjoyed a nice nature walk). The surrounding restaurant selections leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brookline, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

The bottom line. The Inn at Clamber Hill is run by two mean people. It's full of pets. It's not private. There's no TV. And it's way overpriced. Avoid it.

Here's my experience.

I had to attend a wedding nearby, and a friend of mine booked a room her for me and my wife.

I have terrible cat/dog allergies, and when I arrived, I started sneezing immediately. But we left for dinner elsewhere after dropping off our things. We had to leave because I wanted to watch the Red Sox, and the Inn at Clamber Hill has no TV.

At dinner, I continued to sneeze.

I decided I could not stay at the Inn at Clamber Hill because they have two cats and two dogs and the Inn is full of fur.

When I told the owners that I had to leave, they really got weird. They immediately said I'd have to pay full price, even though I had not done a thing there. There was no sympathy. Nothing about where else I could stay. No attempt at a solution, just a real creepy money-grubing attitude.

They had a good point. It was too late for them to give my room to somebody else, but the ethical thing to do would have been to split the difference, or at least discount the rate since my wife and I were not using sheets, eating the free muffin meal, etc.

We ended up finding a perfectly nice, and more private, motel down the road at the King Phillip in in Phillipston. The motel had a nice restaurant/bar where we watched the Red Sox and had a great brunch the next day.

Our motel room was $69, as opposed to the Inn at Clamber Hill rate of $189.

• Liked — Nothing. I was ripped off here.
  • Disliked — Everything. It was a terrible experience.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leverkusen97, Owner at Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
We highly recommend that anyone with allergies, to animals, food or anything else advise us of this condition when you making a reservation. Unlike hotels and motels, a very high percentage of inns and B&B's have pets on the property.

Unfortunately, in your case, you let your friends make the reservation for you and we were not aware of your allergy. Making the reservation yourself could have prevented the issue or looking at our website and seeing that we accept dogs could have also prevented the issue.

Most of our guests feel that our Inn is very clean and we have had many people with both cat and dog allergies stay here comfortably. Without exception, everyone else had notified us us of their allergy issues prior to their arrival.

As corrective action to this incident, we now notify everyone in their confirmation letter that we have dogs, cats and horses on the property. ( Of course the horses are never allowed in the guest rooms. )

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

What a wonderful place to visit. The facility was beautiful and always immaculate. The hosts, Mark and Deni were very personable and friendly, always where you wanted them when you needed them. The food was outstanding, and the property everything that you could imagine if you are looking for the quiet, rural side Massachusetts. We loved it and and plan on going back sometime soon.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!