“#1 in New England” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Oxford
Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
“#1 in New England”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This place is legend, I ate there when I was a kid many years ago, and nothing has changed except the prices going up (marginally!) Huge portions, friendly staff, full of townies, plenty of laughs, what more could one want? If you are looking for a yuppie type breakfast, full of grains and sprouts, this will not be your cup of tea. However if you are hungry, like eating just once today hungry, then this little place will be in your mind forever. Remember, it is an old time diner, not a spiffy neat Johnny Rockets fake place, so come prepared to bang elbows and pass food along the counter, and for a good laugh go to youtube, type in Carls Oxford Diner, and you'll get the picture. Love the place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nevada
“PIG OUT HAVEN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

OH wow you had better be hunger coming here. Been here so many times and cannot stop. monster omelet home fries and toast. If you order bacon, sausage or ham////beware of possible back or muscle strain lifting it, because you get around a pound of it!!!

Visited August 2013
Franklin, Massachusetts
“A Unique Place For Sure!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a unique and interesting place for sure! I had heard so much about the place that I simply had to go and experience it at least one time. It is way out of my way and it did take some planning and effort... but I finally pulled it off. And I did find out that the stories about monster meat orders with your breakfast were all true! Very true!!!

Unfortunately, the monster-sized meat orders did not make up for an otherwise pretty bland and unsatisfying meal. The potatoes were big, but tasteless. The side of toast was pitiful. The eggs were okay but nothing to write home about. But worst of all, the gigantic bacon order was barely half-cooked. It was a real struggle to get it all down... or at least get down and keep down as much as I did. I will admit that I felt pretty lousy the rest of the day.

Bottom line is that I'm still glad I went. It is a unique place by any measure and I like visiting unique places. But I'm sure I can find a better, tastier breakfast elsewhere... and probably for less money. I just don't need that much half-cooked bacon covering my plate. If I do ever go back, I will skip the bacon and maybe try the ham. It's impossible to undercook already cooked ham, right? Or maybe no monster meat order at all. But then, what's the point of going there?

Again, no regrets at all that I went. But one time will probably be enough for me.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Be hungry. Be very, very hungry.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I'll say it again....if you go, go hungry. Really...starve yourself for days prior to going! That's how large the portions at Carl's are. And, don't expect health food....you're going to a diner. What you will get is quick, efficient service with a smile and food...yummy, delicious, piles of food. The omelettes are amazing...steak and cheese, pastrami, western...just to name a few, And, bursting with ooey, gooey fillings! Pancakes, waffles....strawberry, blueberry, chocolate chip!

A+++ to Carl's....they've got the good 'ol American diner all figured out!

Remember....go hungry!!! Oh...and expect to wait for a seat - unless you get really lucky!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leicester, Massachusetts
“What a bacon cheeseburger!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We wanted to try Carl’s Oxford Diner for quite a few years now since we have always heard good things about the place, but for some reason or other never have until today. We just happened to be en route to somewhere else in southern Worcester County and decided to stop in for lunch after finding that Billy’s Burg-O-Rama (also on Route 12 in Oxford) was closed for some unknown reason (strange).

The diner is tiny: the front part has your standard counter setup with a few two-seater tables across from it (very tight space). There is also a small room behind the counter with a few booths. We chose to sit there.

Carl’s menu consists mostly of breakfast fare (available all day), but since neither of us was in the mood for that sort of thing, we both chose to have the bacon cheeseburger. Well, that was an excellent choice. They serve a bacon burger the way it should be served, with plenty of bacon, not like most other establishments that consider a bacon cheeseburger to contain one small strip of bacon that has been cut in cut in half and stretched over the patty. OMG! Not here! My mouth gaped in amazement when we were served our burgers: two perfectly-cooked beef patties (had to be at least 1/3 pound each) with five, count them, FIVE large strips of perfectly crispy bacon strips (see photo submitted). Each was served with a small portion of their home fries, which were a little on the burnt side, but still tasty. At $5.85, this was the bargain of the century.

Needless to say, we’ll return to Carl’s Oxford Diner again next time we’re in the neighborhood. We will have to sample some of their breakfast items, for sure. Or, perhaps, another bacon cheeseburger!

• Visited June 2013