“Could not stay here. Ugh.” 1 of 5 stars

Seashore Park Inn
24 Canal Road, Orleans, MA 02653   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Orleans
Louisville, KY
“Could not stay here. Ugh.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I travel for a living and depending on budget and location, have stayed at everything from horrid Red Roof Inns and Motel 6s, to Westins and Omnis, etc. On vacation, I like middle-of-the-road hotels that are good on location, reasonably priced, and CLEAN, since I plan to spend little time in the actual room and more out sight-seeing. I booked this hotel off the internet, based on photos and the website's description. Let's say they over-blew their adjectives. When I drove from Boston to Cape Cod and checked in, I found that the reviewer who said that this place was stuck in the 1960s was 100% correct. Only there hasn't been any up-keep done really, other than "patch" jobs on plaster, room connections, kitchen counters and bathroom fixtures. The TV even looked like it was 30 years old. Okay, so horrid bedspread I can take, but instead of overlooking the water as advertised, the 2nd floor rooms overlook an auto body shop. Nice. The kitchen drawers wouldn't open because the countertop had apparently been installed by Jethro, and don't even get me started on the bathroom sink. The deal-breaker was when I opened the mini-fridge. Apparently it had been turned off to save electricity, and the frost in the freezer part had melted. The stagnant water was living (and I DO mean "living") in the bottom of the crisping pan, and the stink nearly knocked me over. I went down to the front desk and nicely asked to see another king room. Same thing. I then went down and cancelled my week's stay, called another nearby hotel (The Cove -- HIGHLY recommend) and managed to get accommodations. The clerk at the Seashore (riiii-iiiight) Park Inn was courteous about refunding my week's stay but initially didn't want to refund my one-night's deposit. Initially, I figured that was okay, but the more I thought about how they'd really mislead me by their website, I went back in to ask about the deposit. The clerk had called the manager and already had my credit card refund slip ready for signature. At least they were nice, but this place is just awful. After having read some of the other reviews about how it's just great to stay here with kids, etc. ... I wouldn't stay here with my dog. The Cove was about $200 more for the whole week, but WELL worth it.

• Liked — The common area was like a lodge, but looked better on the internet than in person.
  • Disliked — There are too many things to list.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
beachplumbr, General Mgr at Seashore Park Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
We are never happy to hear that our guest's are dissatisfied--and we do always strive to fulfill their expectations-- and if we can't do that--then refund their money--as was the case here-
It seems,however, that a lot of the issues which this reviewer had --dealt with their unmet expectations--that we are located on the beach-- because we are named "Seashore" & that we aren't like the other chain lodging that they are accustomed to--
We never try to hide the fact that we are located in a commercial area on the edge of town--we often tell prospective guests that we are conveniently located--not scenically located--(in fact -if one were to look at the FAQ page of our web-site -this question is addressed right off--and we never say anywhere- that we are on the water ) -most of our guest appreciate that we are close to town-shopping/mini-golf and Wendy's- and have easy access to the highway--and that our beaches here in Orleans& on Cape Cod are unspoiled & undeveloped --and that commercial development is in commercial areas--not on the beach--
It is also largely for this reason that we don't have any chain or franchise lodging options here in Orleans-- or many on Cape Cod in general-
Independent/Mom and Pop style business predominate here on the Cape--many people find this to be part of the charm--others wish for the brands& standards and homongenized products available in other parts of the country --and are dissappointed when their expectations --which are brought here from other places --go unmet-
Luckily-We do have many repeat guests here- who appreciate what we do offer --and do find our accomodations -while not 5 star --to be a good value -and clean- and well maintained never-the-less.There certainly are exceptions and -even though our inspections-- by our headhousekeeper are suppossed to check everything in all rooms-- sometimes--things like defrosted but uncleaned refrigerators --do slip through the system--unfortunately during the end of the busy season &despite our best efforts& intentions-
All of us here- are sorry that the author of this post was unhappy at the Seashore Park Inn--and we certainly are glad that they were able to find a satisfactory place in our beautiful town here -on Cape Cod - which did meet their expectations-
-And we also look forward to welcoming another season's worth of repeat guests and their families-- who do appreciate the clean/convenient and family friendly/budget friendly affordable value-- which we have offered here for over 40 years

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

My family of five stayed August 15-16-17th and were very pleased. Nice clean room with a nice lobby that offers a decent breakfast as part of the room charge. The location is perfect for enjoying the great beaches on the National Seashore. Do not hesitate the hotel is a steal at the prices they charge.

Jim in Feeding Hills, MA

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

Our family of four travels to the Cape annually. We have stayed in many motels, but this was by far the worst. The rooms and common areas are badly in need of updating and cleaning. The indoor pool was filthy with mold growing on the sides. Paint was flaking off the bathroom walls, the formica by the sink was separated from the wall, and the blankets looked like the originals from 1970. I'm sure this was once a nice motel, but it is now past its prime and in need of a cleaning and refurbishing. We wore our shoes in the room and left at first light. It seems that the owners are taking advantage of their location and high turnover rate. I'm amazed anyone be comfortable spending a whole vacation here. I'm sure it was great in its heyday, but not now.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Located in the elbow of Cape Cod, this place was very clean - housekeeping was excellent. Everyone was friendly & helpful. 2 pools (in & out doors), free cont breakfast which hit the spot every morning. The grounds are kept clean and well maintained. The staff was knowlegable about where to go and how to get there.

I had stayed here years ago and this stay reminded of why I liked it so much here.

• Liked — Cleanliness & friendly staff
  • Disliked — Maybe the air conditioner could have colled the room a bit quicker at night.....
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
west springfield MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

This was the third worst hotel we stayed in since 1972. The hotel was built in 1965 and shows its 60’s chic. It has not been updated since. The location is quite convenient. There was not one big problem but a large number of moderate to significant issues. In no particular order:
The rugs in the upper foyer were wore and partly replaced as were the rugs on the landing.
There was rust in both sinks. The threshold into the bathroom was cracked. The bathroom fan was excessively loud as were the mini fridge and air conditioner (which had a very dirty filter.)
There was cable but reception was very poor, even after I jiggled the connection behind the mirror.
There were metal covered fluorescent lights over the beds which were just about head level.
The room uses old style brass keys instead of the norm of key cards.
The whirlpool/hot tub had one jet and was room temperature. A promise to get it fixed the next day was not kept.
There was no staffing from midnight to six AM at the front desk.
The front door was frosted glass vanes with no way to either open them for air or cover them for adequate darkness overnight.
The back door screen to the balcony was torn, one of the balcony chairs was broken and the lights were black with dead bugs.
There was a missing shelf between the beds with screws homes in the paneling, two holes in the wall had been spackled but were unpainted.
The shower was touchy, suddenly shifting to cold then back to hot. There was mold in the grouting.
Standard amenities one would expect such as in room coffee, hair dryer, alarm clock, iron and ironing board were not available. There were three flimsy plastic clothes hangers.
The double beds were fair to very poor and one of the sheets no longer fit the mattress.
While we were checking out, we brought some of these concerns to the desk, and the overall response was, “Oh, yeah. The owner doesn’t put much back into the place” When I mentioned the bugs in the lights, the clerk said she’d noticed that, too.
Finally, to further show the level of missing upkeep, several parking places are being overgrown with the shrubbery.

• Liked — Location was good and rates reasonable
  • Disliked — Overall lack of care and upkeep.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albany, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

My infant son, wife and I stayed here for 3 nights during high season. We've stayed at many hotels and inns throughout the Cape (P-Town, Brewster, Truro, Eastham, etc.) We were able to check in early (1:00 instead of 3:00), and were given both a AAA discount and online-referral discount. The office staff was very helpful and friendly.

The room (2 double beds) was clean, but very dated. The bathroom was clean but the door had some minor moisture damage, but no mold. The a/c worked great the whole time, and it was VERY hot and humid while we were there. The worst part about the room was the very unfortable bed.

The outdoor pool was clean and warm. There were plenty of chairs and tables w/ umbrellas. We did not use the indoor pool or hot tub although we saw many people using them.

This hotel is in an excellent location. It's right on the Orleans rotary and Route 6, but we never heard any noise from traffic, except the very rare emergency vehicle siren. It's less than a 1 minute walk to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. There is a bike rental shop, ice cream shop, souvenir shop and mini golf within a 1 minute walk. Skaket Beach and Rock Harbor Beach (on the Bay) are both within a 5 minute drive, and easily reachable by bike. Nauset Beach (on the Ocean) is also about a 5 minute drive. There are restaurants and a grocery store also within walking distance.

This hotel is about what you'd expect for a hotel in this price range on the Cape. Not the best, but for the price and the central location it was worth it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable Beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Seashore Park Inn? Share your experiences!