“Pas mal. Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 54 Restaurants in Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
New England
“Pas mal. Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We based our choice of restaurant for lunch in Orleans on Tripadvisor rating and clearly made the right choice. Ambiance is semi old world, almost English cottage. Service is polite, unhurried and friendly. Food took a while to come, but we like it that way. when it did, we were very impressed. My wife had the portablla mushroom sandwich which was excellent.I chose a barbeque chicken sandwich. Never have I tasted a barbeque chicken sandwich of such quality and flavor. Served on a brioche roll with just a brush of sauce and pineapple. Side salad was to die for.
I think The Beacon Room will be our new favorite restaurant on The Cape. Can't wait to try it for dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

york, pa
“Very nice lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

When you need a nice adult lunch spot, no fried anything, decent wine list and great menu, this is your place. I had the minestrone and my husband had the clam chowder (chock full of clams) and then followed up with a wonderful open face salmon sandwich and hamburger. Our waitress was top notch- knowledgeable and attentive.

Visited September 2013
Centerville, Massachusetts
“First time and we will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Always drove by this restaurant on our way to Abba, but after reading reviews for Abba this summer, decided to try The Beacon Room. So glad we did. From the friendly greeting to the service and food, we had a very nice experience. Everyone ordered different food, from boneless chicken wings to salmon to stuffed zucchini and everything was delicious. Only complaint was while everyone had caesar salads for an appetizer and they looked great, I ordered mine as dinner and it was average.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Salem, NY
“Way Too Fast Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I wanted to like this restaurant, but my experience here was so bad as to border on the ridiculous. McDonalds is slow food compared to this place. I'm an easygoing guy, but this was so bad, I'm still steaming. It all started with walking into an uncrowded restaurant (with a reservation) at around 6:30. The restaurant was still 1/3 empty. The "hostess" was on the phone and I'm not kidding, but it took about 10 minutes for anyone to even acknowledge our existence (although to be fair, some of the waitresses made some excuses and apologies after am embarrassingly long time standing at the front). Finally, one of waitresses just seated us in an empty table. In hindsight, this wait was the best part. We were given menu's promptly and the waitress took our drink orders. Good so far. When we got the drinks we were ready to order so we did. Our appetizer came out within 3 minutes. No relaxing drink, no bread (which other tables seemed to get), just boom - here it is. I barely finished chewing my appetizer before the main course was served (we are going at about 10 minutes from seating at this point). I was really angry, but like I said, I'm easygoing and didn't say anything. Keep in mind that this is a Wednesday night, at around 6:30 pm on the Cape after Labor Day and there were still several empty tables. The food was pretty good, but I really couldn't enjoy it. Even my wife thought it was crazy. I finally said something to the waitress, who was nice, but just blamed the kitchen for being "fast". Well, we were done with our dinner within about 25 minutes total (including our 10 minute wait at the door). They had to know that this was a major screw up (unless this is common for them), but I didn't get so much as an apology from anyone other than the waitress, who really should have known better. And its not like there was the typical line out the door where they really needed to rush people out. By 7:10, the place still had empty tables. My only solace was knowing I could go back to my hotel and write this review. Needless to say, I will never return. If you do decide to go (and the food is actually pretty good), be careful to only order the next course after you have finished chewing the previous one or you will end up with a McTooQuick Meal like we did.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harwinton, Connecticut
“A Very Fine Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Twenty-five years ago, coming up to the Cape every summer with my young children, I was happy to end a day at the beach with a plate of fried clams. My wife and I never looked for upscale restaurants. (I didn't even think they existed on Cape Cod.) The "seafood shacks" with their easy-to-clean concrete floors and college-kid waiters were fine by us.

Now--soon to be grandparents and less inclined to fried foods--we've enjoyed some truly excellent restaurants during two visits to the Cape this summer. Our most recent discovery is The Beacon Room in Orleans. The place doesn't take reservations (it doesn't need to) but call ahead by half an hour or so and you'll get put on a waiting list. (It worked for us; we were seated within moments of getting in the door.)

Our table was alongside a window in a lovely dining room on the back side of the restaurant. Working with a smaller space, The Beacon Room has a slightly less elegant feel than the Cape Sea Grille in Harwich Port (another restaurant I loved this summer and previously reviewed) but it's very nice--upscale without being stuffy, perfect for the Cape.

I enjoyed an excellent grilled salmon with bok choy and snow pea slaw. My wife was impressed with the pan-seared scallops over risotto. From tables nearby, we overheard only positive comments from other diners.

If you're saving only one night of your kicked-back beach vacation for fine dining, The Beacon Room is a place to consider for that special evening.

• Visited August 2013