“Tough crowd, excellent meal.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chilmark, Massachusetts
“Tough crowd, excellent meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We recently dined at the Sweet Life Cafe for the second time this season. And for the second time, chef Carlos Montoya hit a home run. We were a table of 10 this time, including my 16 year old cousin and 97 year old grandfather. A challenging crowd even for the best of restaurants. We were given a lovely, quiet table, received highly attentive service, and served exceptional food. Between all of us we ordered one of practically everything on the menu, and no one was disappointed.

Sweet Life Cafe has long been my family's go-to place for special celebrations. There is no doubt it will continue to be.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

NYC
“Good birthday dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went to SL on the recommendation of our house rental owner. I made a reservation two weeks in advance to celebrate my bf birthday. We arrived for our dinner and the table was perfect, overlooking the patio area. The place was empty, I was shocked I was nervous about not getting a table. Service was attentive, they were having problems with the phone lines and took a long time to run credit card, the manager kept letting me know though and apologized

I had the peaches and the bf had lobster soup/salad as our first courses followed by the beef and gnocchi and the fresh fettuccine dish.. Food was delish, meat cooked perfectly. Overall great experience.

Wish they had more choices on menu. The word on the vineyard is that SL is under new ownership now and all are anxious to see if it holds up to the reputation of the past. Time will tell, but an expanded menu in my mind is a good start.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plano, Texas
“Best in Oak Bluffs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

On the edge of the commercial district, Sweet Life was far and away the best food in town. We walked in on a hot Wednesday evening about 6:00 without reservations, and were promptly seated outside. Beer was icy and the servers kept our glasses filled with frigid water, both of which took the edge off the unseasonably warm weather.

This was one of the few places with more than one locally sourced item on the menu. The tomato salad included a variety of sizes (chopped heirlooms, intact cherry and grape) and colors (orange, yellow, red, brindle) that we dipped in the sumac crumble for a tasty bite. Burratta cheese accompanied the tomatoes, but the volume was excessive for me, so most of it went uneaten.

For mains we tried the scallops and fluke. The scallops had a nice sear on the outside but remained tender, moist and sweet. I adored the flavors and textures of the spaetzle, artichokes and fennel that accompanied the fluke, which was nicely cooked, but perhaps a tad overdone.

Well worth the price of admission, and one of the few places with a peaceful setting in Oak Bluffs.

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The food was fabulous although expensive . We were put in a room of the main restaurant and forgotten about. The waitress forgot my daughters drink we called over the water waiter who was very good but anytime he passed our requests to the waitress she ignored him. We wanted a sweet but it was like an oven and we gave up trying to attract her attention. She came with the wrong bill with no explanation. In summary awful service would not recommend this restaurant despite its good food.

Visited July 2013
“Fine dining Oak Bluff Style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wanted to take my dining up a notch, so I chose the Sweet Life. The lamb dish was delicious. They had a nice wine list. The service was great. My only "but" is that it was very warm and humid that night and the AC was not working properly in the main dining area. Surely, if you knew this you would not have candles lit on every table making it even warmer! Nonetheless, I would definitely return.