“in between edgartown and oak bluffs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Island Inn

You added Island Inn to your Saves list
Island Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   30 Island Inn Road, Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02557   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“in between edgartown and oak bluffs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

we stayed in the 2 bedroom, which consisted of a fireplaced small livingroom with pull-out couch and tv, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a queen size bed in one room, and 2 twins in another, the livingroom and twin bedroom were divided by a short wall that didnt go to ceiling. there was a small kitchen with fridge and stove, had sliders with 2 chiars to outside. they also had a small pool on the property, and a restaurant too. they only thing that was really bad was the location, we had to take cabs everywhere! i would stay there again though. the cab issue was the only downside!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Newton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I just stayed at this hotel for the long weekend and was very unhappy!!!!! We stayed in a condo suite and the room was not worth the money. It had a small TV tucked in the corner, a very tiny bathroom, out-dated decor and uncomfortable beds. Worst of all there is no safe in the room and no option to put a do not disturb sign on your door. Needless to say when I left my room to go to the beach upon my return housekeeping had been in the room and my earrings were gone!!!! The hotel manager was rude, unsympathetic and down right inappropriate when I asked if housekeeping had turned in my earrings. The only nice employee that we encountered was Carol at the front desk. Despite the missing jewelry, the location was horrible, the pool is small and they even make you pay $1 to get a cup of coffee in the reception room. There are so many better options on Martha's Vineyard-do not stay at the Island Inn unless you feel like wasting your money. To avoid my situation do not bring any valueables with you!

• Stayed July 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

My friends and I decided to visit the Vineyard for the weekend. We had a great time in Oak Bluffs, but keep in mind a couple of things. The Inn is NOT walking distance to the center of town and when they say walking distance to two beaches, they mean at least almost 2 miles of walking in either direction before you hit the beach....so you are better served taking a bus or taxi if you want to maximize your enjoyment of the trip, because there is nothing else in walking distance.

As for the accommodations, they were great for about 1 day and then things went wrong. On our first full day there we went out to the beach. Thinking that our belongings would be safe in the locked room we headed out for the earlier part of the day. There is no safe in the room, so store your valuables carefully. One of my friends opted not to take an expensive pair of diamond earings that she owned to the beach, so she left them on the table in our suite. We saw her place them there but when we returned to the room they were gone!!! Thinking that maybe they fell off the table, we searched the entire place. The suite was not broken into and there was nothing else missing, just the pair of earings. We immediately called the front desk and asked for a manager, who was not available til the next morning. The next morning we called again, the manager rudely informed my friend that no one took the earrings and accused her of misplacing them. Only one other person had access to the room in the time we were gone and that was whoever had cleaned the room while we were out. We asked to speak to that person and the manager said no. He said there was no way she would have taken them and that there was nothing he could do. So we were left with trying to file a police report. As of yet, nothing has turned up. But our vacation ended on a sour note. You would think the manager of a resort would have some sympathy for items that were not only valuable in a $$$ sense but also in a sentimental sense. He did nothing to help us or compensate my friend for the loss. He was rude and accusatory. And the staff person that cleaned the room is clearly untrustworthy. If I were you, I'd think twice before staying at this place and more importantly leave anything of value back at home...or take it with you wherever you go. But this resort's staff and managers are not to be trusted.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

We just got back last night from the Vineyard, we stayed at the Island Inn for four nights. We stayed in the one bedroom condo, it had one and 1/2 baths, a bedroom with a queen bed, two twin beds and a pull out sleeper. The kitchen had a large fridge, a small two burner stove, microwave and coffee pot. The kitchen was also stocked with dishes, glasses, and utensils. We enjoyed our stay, the hotel was clean and comfortable, we had a nice deck and the view was also nice. The pool is clean and there are plenty of lounge chairs and tables to sit at. There are grills that you can use on the grounds and we cooked out one night. One of our favorite parts of the Island Inn was the bar/restaurant on the property...Lola's. The food was great and every night they had live entertainment. We had a blast! Lola's is very nice inside, they have two patios, we were able to sit and have drinks. It was also decorated nicely. It was great to be able to walk right out of our door to Lola's. All in all I would recommend the Inn to anyone, it does need updating and isn't anything spectacular but the price was right and it served it's purpose.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I stayed at this inn several times last summer and renewed my relationship with the friendly staff once again this summer when I booked a two night stay. I was surprised ( and pleased) to be greeted by my first name and with a smile, a feeling that the staff cared about the customer and was eager to help vacationers to be "at home " . This resort is sprawling and there are some rooms that are more private than others, so you can request something in a more private location if you prefer that. I have found that this resort can be casual and homelike, which is the way I prefer to vacation. If I wanted high glitz and glamour I would be in the city with the traffic and the crystal chandeliers and valet parking. The rooms vary in size and shape but the resort is well loved by those who know it. The manager mentioned that there are many families which come back year after year. My favorite activity is to lie down by the pool with a good book. The grounds are ablaze with color. Try it. you'll like it...a good value with a warm staff.

• Stayed June 2005
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

I love this place!!!!! There are no pretences at the Island Inn. You can relax and feel pampered at the same time. Management is friendly and courteous with a touch of class. I had a spacious condo suite with a fireplace and well stocked kitchen. The grounds are immaculate with several well groomed flower beds throughout the park- like grounds. I relaxed by their pool and found my entire stay to be comfortable and satisfying. The inn has grills and play areas for children as well as tennis courts. I have stayed on several occasions and like the homey atmosphere here. It's a busy place , but they manage to make you feel at home. This is not the place to go if you want to live a high style vacation, it's a place to unwind and enjoy the unspoiled feeling of a home away from home. For the price, the accomodations were just right.

• Stayed June 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

As I have been to Martha's Vineyard for many years renting houses or staying in B&B's we decided to try the Island Inn as we had driven by it so many times.

We arrived to find ourselves in a so called one bedroom apartment. It was very very rustic and very unappealing. Nothing had been updated since the property was built. The bathroom was old and antiquated. The paint was peeling and the air didnt circulate very well in there.

The bed springs made so much noise when turning over that I didnt sleep very well for three nights.

Twice I jumped out of bed to answer the phone that was on the high boy dresser across this very small room. Much to my surprise it wasnt our phone but the phone in the apartment above us.

I did complain to the front desk but since they had no other rooms to put us in it became a moot issue.

If you are looking for an upscale property this is surely not the one to go to.
This will not be high on my list to return to.

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!