“A lot too pretentious for a chowder joint.” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: BEST CHOWDER IN NEW ENGLAND 2013 FROM YANKEE MAGAZINE!! - Copper and mahogany grace our nautically chic dining room creating a casual-fine dining atmosphere. Fresh, local when available seafood, pasture raised steaks, all-natural chicken, craft cocktails, 15 beers on tap and of course the best award winning chowder in the country are waiting for your visit to our beautiful island. Catch a show at our 500 person occupancy live venue upstairs, entertain yourself in our large, comfortable bar and enjoy an authentic Martha's Vineyard experience while being catered to by the most attentive staff in New England. Welcome to the Martha's VIneyard Chowder Company!
Middletown, Connecticut
“A lot too pretentious for a chowder joint.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

A friend recommended the MV Chowder Company for lunch the day we left for home. I was looking for chowder and fritters and maybe a good lobster or clam roll. The chowder was good, the rest of the menu was nice for New York, but I felt really pretentious for the "Vinyaad". Lobster something or other with Basil. Really? Basil on Lobster? Sacrilege in my book to contaminate fresh dockside lobster with spices that hide the true fresh just caught flavor of the sea food. One of my dining partners ordered the Lobster salad served on a potato pancake of some sort. Nicely served ice cream scoop of lobster mixed with a lot of other stuff i only use to stretch the lobster when unexpected guest arrive. Very Gourmet looking. I did not taste it but my friend said it was OK. Clam chowder fritters, small order. Tasty but golf ball size and only 5 instead of the traditional 6. I guess that's what happens when you go to the metric system. Fried oysters, good, but probably Sysco rather than fresh from the dock. All in all, not a place I'm like;ly to visit again. Think I'll look for recommendations on "Diners Drive In and Dives". I appreciate gourmet foods and preparations, but not when I'm looking for dockside splendor.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SharkOwner, Owner at Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hi- I am not sure I really understand this review completely so it is hard to respond...Hope you enjoyed your stay on Martha's Vineyard and I am sorry we weren't the right fit with you. It happens. Ps- the 100% Lobster Tail Salad On a Crispy Potato Cake with Basil Oil and Preserved Lemon probably won't be on DDD this season, we may be casual-fine dining, but we definitely are not a diner or a dive. Also our amazing Chowder Fritters (ChoCos) are served with 8 pieces...I don't fully understand the intentions of this review and unfortunately have to say that I doubt it's credibility. -JB

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Chowder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great food, great atmosphere! Only open for dinner, so a little on the formal side for Martha's Vineyard, where most everyplace else is casual! For sure, worth a dinner!

Visited June 2012
SharkOwner, Owner at Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hi there and thanks for the great review! We are open for lunch 7 days a week at 11:30am and during the winter we are open for lunch Saturdays and Sundays...We do enjoy our nautically-chic atmosphere with mahogany and copper accents, but we are definitely casual fine dining and promote a very relaxing, comfortable and approachable atmosphere. If you want to dress up for a special occasion, or join us in a tank top and flip flops, we have seen and welcomed it all! thanks!
Holden, Massachusetts
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

What a great experience! Waitress was attentive without being overbearing. Food was fantastic! Presentation and flavors were superb! Scallops, pork, salmon, and the award-winning chowder are not to be missed.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice addition to OB dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Good food, nicely presented, good service and not overly expensive by MV standards. We had the cod, scallops and the pork and everyone liked their dish. Tried the award winning chowder and it was great, not flour thickened, but good flavor and loaded with clams.

Northern New Jersey
“Solid Opening Night on the Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

After much review about where to dine in Oak Bluffs we decided to hit up the MV Chowder Company for a solid dinner. Let me start off by saying that the service was overly accommodating and our waitress was outstanding. The food was also very very good and the prices were what you would expect to find on the vineyard. We had the signature chowder (superb, meaty, but could have been in a thicker broth), the scallops over corn risotto (excellent and the portion size was perfect), and the lobster salad on top of a potato cake (great textures and tastes to blend with the other two dishes). We also had the Moscow Mule as our drink and it was a nice compliment to our dinner. The overall experience was above average and you should give it a whirl while in Oak Bluffs.

• Visited June 2012