“Historical Cottage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shearer Cottage

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oak Bluffs
Shearer Cottage
You added Shearer Cottage to your Saves list
4 Morgan Avenue, Box 1063, Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02557   |
MA
“Historical Cottage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

If you're African American and going to Martha's Vineyard staying here should be a must on your list.

There is NO other place that has the long standing history of an Inn family owned and operated as this place since 1902!!! Thats 104 years folks!

It was my honor to be able to stay here.
Yes you can find a hotel/motel/inn that sparkles more or has all the updated amenities. But you can go ANYWHERE for that!

I stayed in room 6, two double beds, private bath, kitchenette, and my own porch.
A 15 min walk to Circuit Ave (where everything is happening).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Haddam, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have been visiting MV for a few years now and just found out about Shearer Cottage! It was so different from stays at other places in OB that we've been to. Shearer Cottage is like a place removed from the bustle and like going to a retreat. We all live in a very busy world and this was truly a wonderful surprise. It is within walking distance to Circuit Ave (the main street in OB with restaurants, shops & the beach right there. So you have the best of both worlds - the action of downtown OB with the beach & harbor and the cottage less than a mile in a wonderfully serene place

The place is immaculate, the grounds well kept with lovely plantings. Everything we needed was in our rooms and the porch was a delight. The yard is large with lounge chairs & tables for spending those warm days & nights outside enjoying it. The is truly a great find & we expect to return.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center - this place is more like a B&B, very comfortable and homey. We stay...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at Shearer cottage in the small bungalow earlier this month. When called, Lee was so helpful in setting up the reservation. When I arrived, there was a LOVELY hand written note from Lee and Emily welcoming me. True their is no ac, so it was a bit hot in this heatwave that is happening, but the fan was already on full blast for me. The bunglaw 5, which was the perfect amount of space for me. I had picked up water, munchies, and a few essentials for the beach, and it was very convienient that I could simply toss them in the refrigerator. The room was quaint and exactly what I needed. The rest of the property was gorgeous, with plenty of lawn chairs to just relax. It was a nice stroll to Circuit Ave area, just dark if you are walking at night. THEN there is the history..I strolled through the common area just in awe of the photos over the years showing the history of Shearer. Read up on it before you go!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
North Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I just came back from an amazing vacation at Shearer Cottage. A group of my friends and I stayed in room 6 and 3 (needed two rooms!). Lee was extremely welcoming as we arrived and allowed us to check in early. She came by each room as we were settling in to give us a vase of fresh cut flowers from the amazing garden in the yard. The rooms have every amenity that you might need. While you might not get little shampoos like in a hotel, you do get an amazing place to stay with amazing hospitality! Lee and Emily are SO accomodating. One of our group forgot our car keys to get home, and they rushed them down to the next ferry back to Woods Hole!

The cabins are clean and quaint. Its a quick walk to town, and just far enough to get away from the hustle and bustle if you need a little quiet. I can't say enough good things about this place! I would definitely recommend this as an option when in Martha's Vineyard to everyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
West Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have stayed at Shearer Cottages 3 times now! This is so perfect, especially when traveling alone, as I do. The owners are lovely and it's very quiet and private, I have met various family members, and all are just wonderful. I hope they read the reviews, because I hope they are pet friendly, no more solo, I have my new puppy to show around my Martha's Vineyard!

Room Tip: the rooms are all similar, but the last room I had, was 5, I think, perfect for myself and would be...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Shearer Cottage is located in a quiet woodsy area. It is a small, traditional Cape-style inn with friendly owners and care takers. Small kitchens in the rooms are great perk. Within walking distance to downtown Oak Bluffs. Shearer Cottage is clean, quiet and reasonably priced with free wifi, kitchens in the rooms, basic cable and parking. However, they don't have A/C or flat screen TVs. If you are seeking luxury inns, try Edgartown and you'll have to spend much more. This inn is great for reasonably priced, quaint Vineyard getaway!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Shearer Cottage? Share your experiences!