“Our weekend in OB at the Weasley Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Wesley Hotel
70 Lake Avenue, Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02557   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Oak Bluffs
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Our weekend in OB at the Weasley Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We love the old world charm of the Wesley. Right on the harbor, walking distance to the downtown.
The staff was helpful & the rooms were of adequate size, Bathrooms clean, and a bit small.
We loved to sit on the wide front porch and watch the boats in the harbor.
No dining room, but close to restaurants & bars & movies.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

A bit more like a hostel than a hotel, the harbor view, especially from the glorious long front porch, overcame the hotel's many shortcomings. The rooms are sparsely furnished. The shower (no bathtub) was very small, no room to bend over. A small sink with little room for toiletries. Clothes are hung from a wall-mounted rack. Plenty of street noise but what the heck, it's next to the beautiful harbor. The hotel is very well located and the staff was polite and helpful. The "rooming house feel" also had its charms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was chosen for it's proximity to downtown OB, we wanted to walk to the beach, restaurants, shopping and other attractions. I wanted to spend my money on enjoying the Island, spent very little time in the room. However; It was dated, the rooms and bathrooms were somewhat small and there were few amenities (3rd flr.-no elevator)or even a desk. We had no phone but did have a flat screen TV...LOL! The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. I too am an African American woman as is one of the other reviewers and felt very much valued as a guest. I did discover that hotel sleeping rooms anywhere on the Island are scarce. Most folks rent houses even if the stay is short, which is what I will do next time. It was exactly what I expected and was fine for this visit. LOVE MV!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the bay and marina!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Petersburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My stay at the Wesley Hotel was less than exciting or worth the price of the room. The room was small and the bathroom was even smaller. The room was not particularly clean...just adequate. The carpeting definitely needed shampooing. The hotel staff was not particularly friendly. While engaging in a conversation with the staff, I was offered a job as a cleaner. I was highly offended as I was a guest there and did not give any indication that I was seeking employment. The offer was an coward's way of letting me know that I was not a valued guest. I am African American woman and felt I was singled out for the insult because I was staying there alone. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone because of the culture that is evident there, not to mention the condition of the place.

Room Tip: The view from the front of the hotel was excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Brockton, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Had a great stay at the Wesley Hotel. We only slept there for the most part we didn't hang out in our room. Yeah the TV was a old CRT but who cares I was on vacation on a island with a lot of bars with HD TV's around if I wanted to watch a game. My only complaint is the bathroom is very small and I am not exactly a small person. Still all in all for the price and location had a great stay great view. Was surprised to get a thank you card in the mail from them I must say that is a first.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if you can.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

After the Victorian facade, lobby and location it is all downhill relative to this hotel. We have stayed in hotels all over the US and Europe and have never gotten as little value for our money as we did at the Wesley. Our room was the most expensive (a suite). The room decor was spartan. No wallpaper or even a picture. There was no closet or armoire to hang your clothes even though the sleeping area could accommodate either.There was a sitting area but the TV was in the sleeping area??The worst part of the room was the bathroom. It was tiny, had no shelves for toiletries and the shower was a joke. It was so small that if you were not careful you would bump against the door and it would open while the shower was running. In order to lather up you had to either turn off the water or step outside the the shower stall. The tile on the bathroom floor was filthy as was the carpeting and the bedlinens were threadbare.There was no telephone in the room so if you needed to contact the staff you had to go to the lobby. That's carrying victorianism too far. While there was coffee and tea available there was not even a pastry offered in the morning. Today most hotels and motels offer a continental breakfast. Although never having stayed in one, I am sure the amenities are better at Motel 6 than we found at the Wesley. There was not an air of friendliness associated with the hotel. We hardly ever saw a staff person and at checkout were not even asked how we enjoyed our stay, etc.We would definitely NOT RECOMMEND this hotel. you can find better accommodations at less cost at numerous B&Bs in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Recently stayed at the Wesley (checked out yesterday as a matter of fact). I can't wait to get back there! Wonderful Victorian charm - exactly what we expected. The rooms are small but, for us, added to the charm. The hotel is almost 200 years old so I can understand not having an elevator - wouldn't want to upset the original architecture. The porch looks out onto the ocean and the location couldn't be better. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Yes, the stay can be pricy but we thought it was worth every penny. Visit this hotel

Room Tip: If you require an elevator ask to stay at the annex. Looks just as charming as the main building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Wesley Hotel? Share your experiences!