“Great porch! Motel 6 rooms” 2 of 5 stars

You added Wesley Hotel to your Saves list
Wesley Hotel
70 Lake Avenue, Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02557   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Oak Bluffs
“Great porch! Motel 6 rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my time sitting on the front porch of this hotel. The staff is friendly. The room actually shocked me. I have never stayed at a Motel 6, but I imagine this is what rooms are like. My husband and I have a bad night sleep on the worst matress I have ever laid on. The bedspread was straight from the 1970's. Sheets were yucky. Furniture, 1970's. T.V. 1980's maybe. For $255. a night, we thought we were splurging, we were greatly disappointed. All I could think about was how easily I could make the room look better! Upcharging for grea location at it's best. Sorry for bad review, but I am being totally honest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I want to start of by saying that after reading the reviews I almost did not stay. I planned a very spontaneous trip for the fourth of July weekend. I called over 25 places everyone was booked out. This place however had room. I usually STAY at harbor view. Which is more modern.
The room was very clean. Be mindfull that this is not a resort and this is Martha's Vineyard. Most people who go to the would stay in a bed and Breakfast.
Ok so the TV. Is out dated and the blinds are old fashion who goes on Vacation to stay in and watch T.V? Like really?
The location was excellent. Walking distance from everything you need. Beaches, bike rentals, food, etc. the only thing we did in the room was sleep. The price was market value for the Vineyard and after check out there were showers accessable. This is Martha's Vineyard every thing is old school! Gosh the rocking chairs are a nice addition.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Each year we stay a few days at this wonderful old inn.
The view from our room and the wonderful rocking chairs
on the large porch overlooking the harbor is priceless.
This may not be the Ritz, however, it has charm without
the glitz. Looking forward to next year at the Wesley.

Room Tip: Any room facing the harbor. The newer building has an elevator
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Wesley is in a great location and has a certain homey, funky charm. Easy walk to everything in Oak Bluffs. Lovely view of the harbor from the rocking chairs on the porch. It was refreshing to stay in a place with some individual character.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Maynard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Wesley is older to be sure, but the location cannot be beat. I have been spending a June weekend at the Wesley for the past 7 years, and I love the place. This past winter it received a well deserved spit and shine. The rooms are newly painted, the room amenities have been upgraded with new towels and linens. I disagree with many of the reviewers who say the front desk staff is unhelpful. I think for the most part the young people at the front desk are very pleasant. I agree the rooms are small, but when the hotel was built they were considered average, and are ALWAYS clean!
I really love the ambiance and proximity to the gingerbread houses (MVCGA), staying at the Wesely is a close as you can get to being a part of the Camp. Sitting on the porch watching the boats come and go is relaxing. You are within walking distance of the ferry, beach, Circuit Ave shop's and restaurant's, bike and moped rentals, public transportation to Edgartown or Vineyard Haven, so there is no need for a car.
True no bells or whistles (there is wi-fi though), but true island living at the Wesley, so relax and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Somerville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed two nights over Memorial Day weekend. Our expectations were pretty low, but the hotel managed to disappoint. The best part of the hotel is that its very close to everything. An old hotel is fine, but the beds, linens, everything about it was old and needed an upgrade desparately (think scratchy sheets, thin towels, lumpy pillows, old mattresses. The worst part was the thin blinds (see room comment below!) which left us with a pretty poor night's sleep. Service was hit or miss - one woman was incredibly pleasant and helpful, others gave us blank stares when we requested simple things like a ferry schedule. We participated in a road race (hosted by the hotel!) and needed to BEG! for a slightly later (30 min) checkout to shower post-race. We were told we could use the public shower! After spending more than $300 for two nights I would expect a bit more leniency. Overall, if you can spend a couple more dollars and find a better place, DO IT. Martha's Vineyard can be so much nicer than this.

Room Tip: Room 211 was looking over the back, where a light from the fire escape shone directly into our room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

On a three week trip to New England and Canada, this was the worst place we stayed. They are open only because everything else is full. It is an old hotel with small rooms...which is what one might expect. But parking is tough and no one...no one at the front desk is of much help for whatever you need. The only redeeming thing was the big front porch overlooking the waterfront. That was nice...except for the nasty cigarette cans lining the porch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wesley Hotel? Share your experiences!