“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Oak Bluffs
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

On a three week trip to New England and Canada, this was the worst place we stayed. They are open only because everything else is full. It is an old hotel with small rooms...which is what one might expect. But parking is tough and no one...no one at the front desk is of much help for whatever you need. The only redeeming thing was the big front porch overlooking the waterfront. That was nice...except for the nasty cigarette cans lining the porch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Some people come to a beachfront resort to get the fresh sea-air, but that's over-rated. Come for a stay at the Wesley Hotel and enjoy the rich, refreshing scent of cigarette smoke. Your tiny room, your bed-sheets, the hallway -- have all been enhanced with the fragrant aroma of Marlboro lights. This scent was years in the making -- and best of all you can bring the memories home with you, as the sweet stank will get into your clothes, your luggage and even your hair. Please book in advance to guarantee your chance to pay far too much money for one of these stale rooms. In the event that no rooms are available, you may want to just sleep in an ash tray instead.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good room, please book one outside of the Wesley Hotel -- that place is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Southfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I visited Oak Bluffs from Aug. 16-20, 2012. This was my second stay at the Wesley Hotel and yes I've read the other reviews and find it hard to believe what others have experienced. I still love this hotel for many of the reasons I stated in an earlier review. The room was clean and in order upon arrival. The staff brought fresh towels & other toiletries each day. Whenever I made a request from the front desk it was attended too immediately. The staff was very friendly and accomodating as I was traveling with a large group. This time our room was located in main building on the second floor. While there wasn't an elevator, I didn't find this to be a big deal at all. Yes the rooms are smaller than normal hotel rooms, it reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in London, England. Again didn't spend much time in the room as the island has so many things to see and do. This hotel is in the heart of Oak Bluffs and within walking distance to many wonderful restaurants & the main shopping area on Circuit Ave. This hotel will always be my first choice when staying in Oak Bluffs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I have never been to a hotel anywhere in the world, including third world countries in Asia and central America where they would not hold your bags at the front desk - apparently I had to come to marthas vineyard to find such awful service. Dingy rooms, smelly lobby. I'd rather sleep on the beach, what a rip off.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were booked into another hotel a full 6 months prior and discovered a few days out that they had misplaced the details. They were kind enough to find alternative accomodation. Unfortunately it was at the Wesley. I'm probably a bit harsh about our experience, given the events that led to our booking here. but anyway.
The good - the location is awesome. The staff can be somewhat helpful occasionally.. The icemaker is good. The deck is great to relax with a drink on. the building is "quaint" and pleasant enough to look at. Air con is super cold. The location really is awesome (should be stressed.)
The bad - old, soft beds. pillows that couldn't be less supportive. staff that tend to be completely unknowledgable/unhelpful. walls that are paper thin. Bedding that is dated and beyond feeling "quaint." air con isn't that quiet.

What topped our experience off was that a lightbulb blew in the bathroom. Fair enough, these things happen. We got ready for the day and got out and doing things with them saying they'd fix it. Came back at the end of the day to find out that they couldn't fix it. Instead of finding a nearby room for us to be switched to or upgraded to, we were told we had to move buildings. We were also told that because they couldn't fix it, staying was not an option - due to safety issues (nevermind two other adjacent rooms having our other family members in them?) I would have thought that given all the inconvenience of packing up all our things and so on, that someone would offer to at least assist with our bags? Not quite. The room was smaller, had louder aircon and was roadfront on the ground floor. I struggled to find any reason as to how it could be considered an improvement (apart from having a lightbulb that works in the bathroom) and it generally soured the whole experience. A few drinks on the balcony helped put the situation in perspective I guess, but this place really needs to step up their game, rework their rooms and actually justify their cost.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea views if you're on the second floor or higher. Not sure if that increases cost.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Yes, that is exactly what the desk clerk with short red hair said to my husband when he complained no one came to clean our room. Our stay was the equivalent of a YMCA hostile but for a whopping $180/night!! I understand the hotel is antique and dated but I at least expected a clean room, hot shower, and a made up bed. Apparently, the rooms are not serviced until you leave. We were told "why should we clean it? You are just going to sleep in it anyway"..again by the customer oriented redhead.
The linens are disgusting: ratty knotted blanket complete with a smelly bedspread with pills and stains. The bathroom is tiny and if you try to shave your legs in the shower you will get a concussion...so you have to open the door and water goes everywhere which explains the mold issue. The shower has more air than water....reminds me of the "low flow" episode of Seinfeld. The water runs cold for about 10 minutes. The rug looks like the basic office rug with stains all over it. Don't even try to blow dry your hair while someone is ironing a shirt....the fuse blew and it took them 20 minutes to fix it...making us late for our trolley ride to the event.
We did have a lovely view of the harbor but the torn screen took away from the enjoyment of looking out the dirty window. People say you stay here for the rocking chairs on the deck. They are nice but the filthy red paint buckets full of waterlogged cigarette butts takes away the beauty of the experience.
This hotel should just stick with selling their $1 toilet use and $6 shower rentals to the boat people across the street.
We stayed here for a wedding for Friday night. I regret I ever stepped foot here...it ruined the weekend for us. We should have either just walked off the ferry to the event and then went home or did some research and stayed elsewhere!

Room Tip: This is an over priced Motel6. There are better deals at the Edgartown Harbor View Hotel....which I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

There is a reason why the Wesley Hotel was the only available last minute room in the Vineyard.
It's scary! Overall I'm disappointed in the fact that people will still say "they can get away with it", which means they can charge what they want and not renovate. They don't even have the decency to change the 20 year old beds, sheets and comforters. Sleeping on the front lawn would have been more comfortable. If I was arrested for doing so it would have been cheaper and more comfortable sleeping at MV police station. The Wesley should be a museum. I will not take anything from its Victorian charm, but the charge of 250 a night is as wrong as "taxation without representation". Please give the people their money's worth. You are doing an injustice to such a beautiful building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wesley_Hotel_Staff, General Manager at Wesley Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Steve from Boston,

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay at the Wesley. In all fairness, you
should have mentioned in your review that when you complained at the Front Desk about a noisy air conditioner, you were immediately offered an upgrade to a larger room at no additional charge. Apparently, that wasn't enough and after spending the night in the upgraded room, you still wanted us to discount your 1 night stay on a busy holiday weekend even further. After not getting the discount, you procedeed with this absolutely undeserved negative review on TripAdvisor.

The rate of $255.00 that you paid is an average rate across the hotels on Martha's Vineyard. Wesley hotel offers simple mid-range accommodations. The rooms are not exuberant, but clean and adequate. Our staff was very polite, and tried to accommodate you the best they could.

We would like to wish you a more pleasant stay elsewhere.

Been to Wesley Hotel? Share your experiences!