“Hostel vibe, rude staff, ruthless on room rates, old, old interiors.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wesley Hotel

Save Saved
You added Wesley Hotel to your Saves list
Wesley Hotel
70 Lake Avenue, Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02557   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Oak Bluffs
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Hostel vibe, rude staff, ruthless on room rates, old, old interiors.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I did not stay here. I arrived at 9 o clock in the evening having come off the ferry, it was dark and asked if they had a room, she said yes and it was 230 dollars! I said you wont be able to fill it at this hour, will you? She said she didnt care, and that it was marthas vineyard. It was clear that I had nowhere to stay also so I definately felt she played on that. I asked to see the room, she brought me up four flights off stairs to a creepy twin room that was old fashioned, dark and depressing. The whole place has a hostel vibe, its huge with corridors of rooms and a very communal feeling to it, and not in a good way. So not worth that money. I found the accommodation attitude from inns and hotels on marthas vineyard very mercenary. Like, you're on our island, you cant get off so we will just charge what we want, we dont really care. This was definatley the attitude from the wesley 'hotel'. The people I spoke to when I called around were all pretty rude and demanding about their rates, even saying that they only had a few months to make money etc...not a nice attitude for a holiday location!

Room Tip: Dont stay there! Its not a hotel its a hostel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 2 children under the age of 10. We came to the vineyard for a family wedding. Our room was just barely adequate and there was dried vomit on the front of the sink and on the floor. There was a vent pipe above the toilet that you could clearly hear every word said in the room above us. The doors have a standard interior lock (not very secure). We were not told that it was Shark Festival weekend and the hotel caters to these drunken fools who kept us up 2 nights in a row, running up and down the halls, stamping loudly above us and blaring music. My elderly handicapped parents stayed in the Wesley Arms building and had the same experience. I went to complain about the noise in the middle of the night, and because the rooms no not have phones, I had to go to the lobby in my pajamas, where I was greeting by more drunks and very young hotel staff who were not prepared to handle the situation. Hotel refused to provide a discount and seems uncaring and unconcerned about taking care of decent respectful hotel guests. The only saving grace was the front porch where you can sit on rocking chairs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Southfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I found the Wesley Hotel to be a very quaint and beautiful place to stay. This was my first trip to Martha's Vineyards and it was a great, great trip. The hotel itself was well priced as it is in the center of Oak Bluffs, very close to Circuit Ave, which is where you want to be. The rooms were nice, smaller than normal hotel rooms, that being said we didn't spend a lot of time in the room as we were enjoying the island activities. I love the front porch and all the rocking chairs. We were traveling with a large group and the staff was more than accommodating. The view of the Oak Bluffs Harbor is worth the price of the hotel rooms. Sitting on the front porch of the Wesley Hotel in the moonlight was the way we ended each day. I will be going back to Oak Bluffs in August 2012 and will be staying at the Wesley. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Oak Bluffs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Wareham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was hoping that after paying $288 for a one night stay I would have hoped for a comfortable bed to at least sleep on. The bed was terrible, mold in the bathroom shower when you close the door, The AC unit was very very loud and the shades wouldn't go back up after you pulled them down. The staff was very courteous but the amenites were not what I would have expected at this rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
clearwater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The Wesley has been operational as a hotel since the 1880s and is a beautiful Victorian property. The lobby is very spacious, the front porch and rocking chairs give you a view of the water and the harbor. It is within EASY walking distance of the heart of Oak Bluffs - lots of cute shops, restaurants, ice cream places, the oldest carousel in the US and a game arcade. The staff were gracious, friendly and interested in helping us. The room we had was small, but were expecting that, because it is an older property and it suited us well, as we were really only there to sleep. (We were in town for a family reunion). It was very clean. Though there is no food service (which the website is very clear to tell you) there is a nook off the lobby where coffee, tea and hot cocoa are available 24 hours. If you are looking for something a bit different, friendly, historic, clean, very close to the action and full of the grace of Victorian times, I would recommend the Wesley. If you are someone who wants a lot of extra amenities, room service, a whirlpool bath, etc etc etc, then you probably want to go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
West Bridgewater, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The rooms are nice. Not to fancy but very clean and nice. We go every year for an anniversary weekend and will keep going back. It is so nice to get up early and sit on the porch and have coffee, and it's equally as nice to sit on the porch in the late afternoon to relax with some cheese and crackers we brought and a cold beer. We brought our bicycles and cruised around the island, an overall terrific hotel. The staff is very nice and professional and everything is nice and clean. You can walk from the Oak Bluffs ferry to the hotel with some carry on luggage or backpacks.

Room Tip: Try to get the front room, it's usually booked so you have to book it early. Or if your with som...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

First opportunity to lodge here,?it will be my last. Hospitality and location was good , but it is hollering for a make over. My understanding is that nothing has been done since1986. I am a travel agent whose clients are constantly asking for recommendation . I would put myself out of business if I referred someone here. A two night stay was more than enough. No phone, no closet , ammenties were none exsistant. Gosh, the shower was designed for a thin 6 ft. Person. Cleanliness and view from the porch is all that was favorable.

• Stayed May 2012
Wesley_Hotel_Staff, Manager at Wesley Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
In response to your note about the nonexisting amenities, I would like to note that we are centrally located withinn walking distance to the beach, all the restaurants in town, as well as gyms and local attractions. I believe that usually on the phone we explain to our guests that we do not have a restaurant or a gym on the premises because of the central location in town so it does not come as a surprise.
Every year we are trying to update certain details in the rooms. This year we replaced toiletries and towels in all our rooms. The phone issue was already addressed in the previous reviews, every room has a space for clothes. Due to the historic construction of the building our rooms do not feature walk in closets.
We are sorry that you were disappointed, we do however, work hard to address our guest needs.

Been to Wesley Hotel? Share your experiences!