“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Oak Bluffs
Long Island
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Pequot Hotel and we are already planning to go back next year. Where do I begin.....we had Room 7 which was just perfect for my family which included my husband and our 4 yr old and our 6 yr old, the breakfast was not your ordinary continental breakfast, they had fresh bagels and homemade muffins which they constantly replenished so you if you wanted to sleep late you didn't miss out on the breakfast, every afternoon they had delicious lemonade and the most amazing chocolate chip cookies, and in the evening we sat on the rocking chairs and enjoyed the quietness of the street.

Another great thing about The Pequot is that you are close to everything, a short walk from the ferry as well as to town. We did not to bring our car over to the island which was the best decision because we had no need for it.

Room Tip: For families - Room 7
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent enjoyable experience at the Pequot Hotel and thank you for your kind words about the variety in our not so ordinary continental breakfast. Nadir and Nicky happily rise and shine at 5:30 a.m. in order to be able to start baking muffins, boiling eggs, making oatmeal, slicing fresh fruit and preparing all the rest of the breakfast fixings in time for our 8:00 a.m. start of breakfast. I will pass on your compliments to them!

Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Pequot for our first mother/daughter getaway. We loved our room and thought the bed was the most comfortable bed ever! The breakfast exceeded my expectations and the afternoon cookies and lemonade was such a special treat. We enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs and relaxing in the afternoon (so very peaceful). The beach is so close to walk to and so are all the shops. Our room was our little home to go back to during the day. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We are already talking about our next trip and will definitely choose the Pequot again.

We wish the wifi worked better but we didn't need it much as we were out and about most of the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the middle building but would like to be in the main house next time.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It pleases us to no end that you and your daughter were able to spend quality time together here at The Pequot. We just love to hear stories such as yours. Thanks for sharing! We'll look forward to seeing you back next season!

Warm Regards,
Bowdoinham, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

A great place to stay if you expect to be out and about exploring the island. It's nothing fancy, but my husband and I found it to be very comfortable, convenient to everything but in a quiet area. Very basic accommodations, but everything you need as your base of operations. We're anticipating returning to MV every year, and will be staying at the Pequot Hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Pequot Hotel was perfect in so many ways; location, accomodations, staff, etc. Just a 5 minute walk or a $5 cab ride from the ferry it is centrally located for everything; one block from the beach and 3 short blocks for the main drag. The staff was always pleasant and very accomodating. Our room was cozy, and much nicer than I expected; we stayed in #30 in the middle building. Let's not forget a great breakfast and the 2pm cookies!!! Thank you for making my first trip to the Vineyard the first of many.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Theresa910,

Thank YOU for your kind words and for choosing The Pequot for your Vineyard vacation. We are all so very pleased we helped to make your first trip to Martha's Vineyard enjoyable and will look forward to your return!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I think you can tell a lot about a hotel by the quality of the towels and they were great

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wow! Thanks for noticing our new bamboo/cotton blend towels. Glad they did the trick!

Derry, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We just returned from our Martha's Vineyard vacation and wish we were still sitting in the rockers on the front veranda of the Pequot! Well kept, and maintained with cottage charm, all the staff were friendly and willing to help with anything we asked! The continental breakfast was pleasant and the early morning coffee very much appreciated! Loved the ice tea and fresh mint. The room was clean, the bath had plenty of hot water and great water pressure in the shower- not something you always find in older style B&Bs. Just wish we had made reservations earlier before the bigger rooms were booked.

Room Tip: I'd stay in the main bldg next time.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Let me begin by saying I don't often write reviews of places where I stay. I am somewhat of a world traveler, and I may have only written reviews on one, MAYBE two other places in all my travels. The Pequot charmed me so much that I couldn't resist sharing what a gem this place is with anyone who is looking to spend some time at Martha's Vineyard.

My boyfriend and I booked as a last minute post July 4th get away. Having never been to Martha's Vineyard before, we really took a chance on where we stayed and I am so happy that we did.

Upon check-in we learned that we had been upgraded from a middle-house (double) room, to a King. Amazing. As we surveyed the room, I noticed there was an envelope with my name on it. To my surprise, it was a handwritten note from one of their staff members welcoming us! Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a hand written note goes a really long way with me and this one made us feel right at home and more than welcome.

Breakfast in the morning is fantastic! I especially love the customizable oatmeal bar :) I'm shocked to find that other reviews have anything negative to say. The amount the provide their guests and the selection is impressive considering it is rolled into the cost of your stay. Not many places are offering that these days. Beyond complimentary breakfast, they also have complimentary beach towels, beach chairs, wine glasses... and I am sure much more.

It's certainly not the Waldorf Astoria, or even the Marriott, but show me a place on Martha's Vineyard that is. This place is the quintessential MV getaway that you might envision. What other place bakes you fresh chocolate chip cookies and offers afternoon lemonade and iced tea? If your looking for egyptian cotton sheets, room service, and caviar you're in the wrong place. In fact, don't even consider a vacation in MV at all because that's not what it's all about.

The hotel really is just a 5-10 minute walk from the ferry dock, and about a 2 minute walk to the beach. It's ideally situated on a quiet street, but accessible to all Oak Bluffs has to offer.

Side note: while the Oak Bluffs beach was nice, we much preferred State Beach (take the #13 bus near the park) and South Beach (take the #13 to Edgartown then the #8 [i think] to South Beach) Both are at very most 20-25 minutes away.

If your debating booking, just go for it. You'll be happy you did!

Room Tip: I only saw our room (#4). Super quiet, stayed cool the entire time. Lighting was a bit dim but defin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pequot Hotel? Share your experiences!