“Ambush! My Rating is Actually Zero or a Negative Integer” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Norton
Fremont, California
“Ambush! My Rating is Actually Zero or a Negative Integer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

My first experience with an Extended Stay property, and it will absolutely be my last.
I had business in the local area and was having a difficult time finding a property reasonably close. I took a chance on this one and was beyond disappointed. Everything about this property is bad with the only possible exception of its proximity to my location. When I do need to return to the area, I will be finding a reputable hotel elsewhere even if I have to drive 40 miles each way daily in rush hour traffic.

There are so many negatives to report on this place I will just hit the top ones. That said, even though the front desk staff is cordial and friendly, they are not able to fix the problems that are systematically wrong.
1. The rooms are filthy. I mean REALLY filthy. Housekeeping in this chain is limited to begin with, but when it is done here, it isn’t done with any regard for results. Every wall was interlaced with debris from past tenants – food particles and God only knows what else. This filth extends to the room floors, sinks, bathroom, and to a lesser degree the hallways in general. All table surfaces in the room had residual rings, sticky spots, dust and dirt (really, dirt). The TV screen also reflected this poor cleaning approach. I had to go to a local store to get paper towels and cleaning supplies before I would even put anything in the refrigerator. It had dirty hand marks and residual food particles on the door, inside, and all over the top and sides.
2. The noise here is ridiculous. I did not get one complete night of sleep. It was not road noise. The noise typically began about 4 AM when a group of laborers occupying the facility would begin their day. Every morning there would be from 5 to 10 door slamming events as they departed and began conversations while in the hallways in work-site voices. It was obvious who these guys were because their heavy equipment was parked throughout the hotel parking lot taking up a lot of space while they serviced that equipment, and those were the machines that started and left shortly after the noise events began. My complaints to the staff were pointless. The walls are thin and the whole room literally shakes every time a door slams or some inconsiderate person above drops bar-bells on the floor. During the early evenings it is relatively quiet but between 8:30 and midnight there was always additional noise provided by the tenants. On a couple of nights there were door slams etc. at 1 AM and 3 AM. Sleep is not on the agenda unless you are deaf and immune to earthquake-like shaking of the bed and walls.
3. Supposedly these rooms have a “Fully Stocked Kitchen” ready to prepare meals. I found that you needed to request those supplies specifically and then go downstairs to pick up the boxes of cooking materials. If you want a coffee pot and maybe some coffee packets, that is a separate request. Are you kidding me?
4. I found that the batteries in the TV remote were bad, and requested replacements. That was never done.
I made a point of contacting the manager personally the second day I was there. I asked her to join me in a tour of the room and pointed all of these glaring deficiencies out to her. She agreed that it was in bad condition and would attend to it. When I returned to the room the next day, it was obvious someone had been there, but only a marginal attempt was made to clean anything. The same stains and surface dirt I pointed out to the manager were mostly still there.
Given this awful general performance, I wanted to get my receipt for the stay printed out the night before departure as I had an early flight out of Logan the next morning. When I attempted to get that receipt, I was told by the front desk person that it would be printed out overnight and be ready for pickup in the morning (even though they had already charged my CC account for 5 nights she said she couldn’t do a receipt until actual checkout - odd). You guessed it, upon departure, no receipt, no ability to print a receipt, and no email of the receipt. Just prior to writing tis review, I called the property directly and attempted to get them to email a receipt. It’s still not in my inbox.

Do yourself a HUGE favor: avoid this place. It’s an ambush and you’re the target.

Room Tip: Don't go.
Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton, responded to this review, October 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The experience you had at our hotel is unacceptable. I sincerely apologize for falling short of Extended Stay America's high standards. I am so sorry for the cleanliness issues of your room, and that when you brought them to the attention of my staff, your room was not fully attended to. I have had a meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards and procedures to ensure that a situation like this does not occur again. I also understand your frustration with excessive noise in the hallways. Had it been brought to my attention, I would have addressed it with the individuals responsible for the noise to eliminate or at least limit the extra interruptions. I will work with my staff to better monitor such disturbances in the future. As far as the dishes and other cookware for the room, it was a decision by the company to ensure that our guests were receiving clean and sanitized dishes. It is our intention to call your room and ask which items you would like to have delivered and to bring them up to you. I apologize that this was not the case during your stay with us. I will work with my staff to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Finally, I apologize that you were not provided with the receipt you requested upon check-out. I will be meeting with my staff to review our check-out procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bno@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

I'll let the pictures do the review. If you love yourself and your family, DO NOT stay there. From the entrance to the lobby, to the rooms, EVERYTHING was just unacceptable. It was so disgusting we opted out of our reservation and decided to get a refund ASAP.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We booked through Priceline for just one night stay. The front desk attendant, Linda, was very nice & informative. The physical attributes to the hotel were deplorable. The elevator smelled like cigarettes, and the dreaded third floor smelled like a greasy & smoke filled bar room. Our room smelled like an ashtray. There was grease all over the side of the refrigerator (next to the stove), the bathroom was dirty with hairs in the tub and muddy handprints on the walls of the shower. The water pressure was like an outside garden hose & it made an obnoxious whistling noise. The toilet was all yellow inside. My husband & I almost left, even though we already paid because it was just that disgusting. Never again. NEVER. It's a shame too because they renovated the rooms.

• Stayed August 2014
Leverett, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Hard to find a location for family during a busy tourist/holiday time, and Priceline landed Extended Stay. Two rooms each with one Queen-sized bed on the only floor available - smoking floor (which was, admittedly nasty in the hallways, but not bad IN the rooms). You really get what you pay for in these circumstances, few amenities, bare-bones, need to bring all your own cutlery, dishes, pots, pans, etc. for the kitchenettes - but if you know this ahead of time - it would be perfect for the teams doing road or construction work in the area, as well as for families needing a place near the Asthma center nearby. Staff was terrific, accommodating, helpful, patient.

Room Tip: If possible, avoid the smoking (3rd) floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am pleased to read that our staff was helpful and patient; however, I am disappointed to read that you found our amenities to be bare-bones. Your feedback on this matter will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at bno@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you are a smoker then this hotel is for you! They will not guarantee a non-smoking room even if you book 5 months in advance! Stepping off the elevator will be your first indication that you have entered a smoking floor because they will, I guess, forget tell you when you check in that they were unable to fulfill your request.
Pay more if necessary to stay somewhere else...the savings here was NOT worth it!

Room Tip: Don't choose one here!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that we did not have the non-smoking room available for you as requested. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will be reviewing our reservation process with my front desk so that we can do our best to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you again for your review. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bno@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I was able to check in 3 hours prior to normal check in. The staff was friendly and helpful. They accommodated all my needs. They printed off directions for me for nearby attractions and gave me all the extra pillows, blankets, and towels that I needed. It was a great experience for me and my children.

• Stayed May 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you liked being able to check-in early and that we were able to accommodate all your needs. It is great to know that you and your children had a wonderful time.

Wilton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The pricing for this unit was slightly less than half the asking price. We spent three nights here as it is close enough to Plymouth to commute over and save the in town costs. Plus, we were able to make our own meals. The room is comfortable, it's a working man's property which doesn't put any bad connotations on it, in fact it shows a good deal for the money. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Foxboro - Norton? Share your experiences!