“Not at the Top of My List” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Northampton
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Not at the Top of My List”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

On the positive side, this place is convenient and easy to get to when I must stay in the area, and the beds are very comfortable and clean. I've stayed here over a 30 year period, and have seen it slowly go down hill. In short, the place is shabby and needs a massive facelift. The desk clerks are usually friendly and check-in is relatively smooth. Once in the room you never know what you'll find. Some air conditioners/heaters make noise all night. Some showers and toilets don't work efficiently. Last time I stayed the toilet wouldn't shut off and I had to turn the water off. Refrigerators are available but you must ask for one - they are not automatically provided. There is no exercise room but they have some machine available to bring to your room. I didn't bother. Currently, they have a jazz night in the lounge once a week (Thursday??), so good luck finding a parking space if you come in from work later. The restaurant has come and gone several times. I've had some evening meals in the lounge that were decent but it's a limited menu. The continental breakfast in the morning continually has reduced the selections to the point now where it's barely adequate. You are entitled to a fresh fruit cup, but you have to ask for it because the younger waitresses overall are pretty bad and could care less. The older lady is very nice, however. I only stay here because it's convenient, I don't have to fight traffic, and once asleep I get a restful night. It's sort of like the shabby old slippers that you don't throw out. I cannot "recommend" it, however.

Room Tip: Ask for a refrigerator if you want one, and if having continental breakfast ask for your fresh fruit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response about your experience about the Clarion in Northampton. I apologize for the issues that you have encountered as a guest, and assure you that these issues are quite upsetting to Management. We will continue to do our best to provide each guest of the Clarion with a premium experience.

Again my apologies,

Jeremy R. Brown

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is an over-priced, dark hotel located on the outskirts of town. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, but the place itself is not memorable -- literally, since the rooms and floors are laid out in a labyrinth which is hard to navigate without dropping breadcrumbs or birdseed along the way. The rooms are seriously under-outleted, making it a challenge to plug in chargers, computers, etc. Refrigerators are not provided in the rooms. The showers are touchy, with water temperature fluctuating wildly. And the bathroom sink is equipped with a push-down, restricted, automatic shut-off valve and no way to fill the basin. What is this elementary school? Stay elsewhere if you can.

Room Tip: Request a room near the lobby so that you can find it if you need to return to the restaurant or fro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond to your recent experience at the Clarion in Northampton. We appreciate your comments regarding the friendliness of the staff, we are away that our facility is an older one, but the true heart of our property is our team. Thank you again for your feedback.

Hicksville, New York, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Check in was OK but when I got to my room which I was assured was poolside, it was not. I was looking at a wall. Went back an d asked for another room and got one. The girl said she wasn't familiar with the layout. That should be training 101. When paying 200.00 for the room there is an expectation. Pool water very cold as well as the restaurant/bar. Musty smell throughout the hotel. A little rundown. Needs some sprucing up. Stay in this area often and will think twice about staying there again. Also party going on and parking was terrible after we came back later that evening.

Room Tip: Do not stay unless you stay poolside. Other rooms dark and musty.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay at the Clarion. Please accept my apologies for the initial error made in assigning your room accommodations. We will continue to work with the team to make sure that we get it right, everytime. We are in the process of ongoing upgrades to the Clarion, however there is no excuse for the pool temperature not being correct and that will be addressed. Again, thank you taking the time the time to respond.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I left after 20 min. I read the reviews and expecting much but thought I could put up with anything for one night since there were no other hotels. When I saw the room, the paint was almost falling off the walls and the room was so musty that I knew I'd rather sleep in my car than there! The smell gave me a massive headache. I desperately called around and found another place. I didn't care if I had to pay for an additional room! They let me leave and didn't charge me. I had the feeling that I wasn't the first one to leave.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your experience with the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center in Northampton, MA. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the condition and smell of your accommodations. Feedback from our guests allows us to try and make improvements to every guests experience with our facility. Again, my apologies for your experience.

Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Checking in went well, but the rooms are a little rough. They do have flat screens for TV and a fair selection of channels. WIFI worked well and location is good. I would love to have had a chair or a couch to sit on to watch TV.

Room Tip: Head downtown (about 5 min) and enjoy yourself for the evening.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. I appreciate your noting the various features of the facility that you enjoyed. I apologize about the condition of the room that you found and the accommodations appointments. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us make decisions to provide the best experience for our guests.

Underhill, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Clarion last week and I was really disappointed with our stay. The foyer was nice but the hallway of the the room we stayed in smelled awful. Our room was marginal, as the wallpaper in our bathroom was peeling and the carpet was dingy. My daughters loved the pool and breakfast was tasty but a bit overpriced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ClarionNorthampton, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad that your daughters enjoyed the pool, and that breakfast was to your liking! However, I’m concerned about the aspects of your stay that fell below your expectations. Our goal is an excellent guest experience. It is clear from your review that this was not the case for you, and for that I apologize. I would encourage you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience so that I might have the opportunity to follow up regarding the issues you encountered.

At your service,

Aubrey Ramsdell
Front Office Manager
413-586-1211 ext 293
West Hartford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Two of us stayed at the Clarion last weekend and were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff we encountered--front desk, housekeeping and the waitress at breakfast (which was delicious and ample, yet reasonably priced). The rooms were clean and perhaps not the most upscale in decor, but the beds were extremely comfortable and there was plenty of light. The pool area was lovely--lots of sunlight through the atrium roof, plantings, and a feel of being outdoors. They also have lively music in the bar/lounge area. It was a little hard to find Registration in the parking lot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center on Tripadvisor! I’m so glad you found the pool area enjoyable. The natural sunlight of the indoor atrium at the heart of the hotel is definitely a feature that we enjoy having at our property. I’ve passed your kind comments along to the staff, and we look forward to serving you during your next visit to Northampton!

At your service,

Aubrey Ramsdell
Front Office Manager

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!