“Rude and unaccomodating employees” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Northampton
“Rude and unaccomodating employees”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My spouse kindly requested an extended checkout time at noon and the guest services clerk refused. Nearly 30 seconds had passed when we heard a knocking on our door. "Hello this is guest services, check out was at 11:00... I will give you 15 minutes ." (Mind you it is 1203 at this very moment and my spouse has been running the water for 20 minutes hoping it will miraculously turn warm so we can get out of here. Ps the toilet will not flush either and ran ALL night!" This venue needs to provide some sort of training course to their obnoxious employees on how to better accommodate hotel guests, or maybe teach them proper etiquette. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this venue to anyone trying to enjoy a birthday weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2013

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel two to three times a month. Love the rooms staff and food. It is a hidden treasure outside NorthHampton. I have visited other hotels in area but prefer this hotel. I have always had great experiences here. The Pages Bar is great and Food is above average.

• Stayed April 2013
Princeton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel looked shabby from the outside but it was a different story inside. Nice rooms, very comfortable bed, nice people, pleasant jazz at a fun bar. I'm sorry others had a problem but I'd say if you're visiting the area, this might be a good choice. Oh and I left something valuable in the room and they mailed it back to me quickly.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was one of the worst hotels I ever stayed. The bed was so bad I could not lay down on it and had to ask for another room. One of the rooms had a dehumidifier in it and the heating system was something that was used over 30 years ago. Rooms near the pool smell like chlorine. There are so many other hotels to stay in the local area. This hotel needs a renovation badly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Newtown, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were really looking forward to spending a few nights here during a recent trip to the area to see family. The picture on the website of the indoor pool and atrium looked great, so we decided to pay a little extra for a "poolside" room.

Check-in was simple and the front desk staff were friendly. We found our room through the dark hallways, which as the other reviewer mentioned, had a strange odor. Upon entering the room, we noticed a stronger foul odor but got used to it. The furnishings were very dated and worn, and I noticed many places where wallpaper and paint was peeling. Aside from the flat screen TV, it looks like the room hadn't been updated in 20 years.

The poolside rooms are completely indoors - meaning, one door opens to the pool atrium and the main door opens to the hallway. It quickly got warm so my wife tried turning on the AC. That's when we noticed hot air coming out of the vent. When she called the front desk to tell them, the staff member said, "yeah, sorry about that, the AC doesn't work in the poolside rooms."

Apparently after speaking with the "engineer," the system doesn't go into "cold mode" if it's too cold outside. This must be a common complaint for anyone who gets these rooms and judging by the 80's style thermostat, I'd say they have been dealing with the complaints for a long time. One would think that Clarion would've addressed this, so it doesn't shine the chain in a very good light, in my opinion.

In defense of the hotel, they offered us a lower rate and gave us a fan, but there's no way I would have paid full price for this room. Controlling the temperature of a room is one of the most fundamental and important aspects of a good stay!

We went in the pool and I quickly noticed it had not been drained and cleaned in a long, long time. The pool tiles had a thick layer of grime along the perimeter - to the point where hand-written letters were scratched into each of them. I would have taken a picture but decided not to, thinking it would have seemed creepy. Paint along the edge and bottom of the pool had almost completely worn off, and paint at the top of the supporting beams in the atrium had peeled off. Temperature of the water was about 5 degrees too cold, a cost-cutting measure I would assume, based on the lack of upkeep elsewhere.

Each time we were using the pool, there was a staff member buffing the atrium floor. This seemed a completely pointless exercise, considering the larger issues I noticed. If those guys spent half as much time scrubbing an already clean floor and used that time updating the rooms, they'd be well on their way to improving the quality of stay.

We left the hotel around noon and took off the "do not disturb" sign and when we got back at around 7PM, noticed that housekeeping never came. I find this completely unacceptable - the room was available basically all day and they couldn't find the time to clean the room? This leads me to believe that they are severely understaffed.

It's unfortunate to see such a nice hotel fall into disrepair and mismanagement. All the things we noticed, could have been addressed with enough attention and awareness by the people running the show.

Room Tip: Moral of the story: don't bother with the poolside room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Orange, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The economy makes us all consider staycations. We have looked all over for a hotel that's great for mom and dad And the kids. The Clarion is it. Clean rooms. Pub and Restaurant on site. Amazing staff and a pool under a dome. Conveniently located right off the highway and a readonable to area attractions. We are booking our third trip back now!

• Stayed January 2013
Lynbrook, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The clarion was acceptable for a 2 night stay when seeing the U Mass campus. We did get a discount from the college. Our teenage boys loved the indoor pool. The hallways had a funky smell, I'm not sure why. Also the beds sunk down in the middle so they were not very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!