“Not as bad as I thought it would be...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Boston
“Not as bad as I thought it would be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I was booked here by my job and was expecting the worst after reading the other reviews on the hotel...even brought my own sheets and sleeping bag. However my room was not as bad as the other entries wrote.

The room was clean and looked nice. Better than a Super 8. Bed was fine. There was a mini fridge and microwave in the room. The sink is outside the bathroom and was on the short side, but it looked nice with fake marble on it. The only complaint was the tub. It did not looked like it had been cleaned. There was even a dead bug in it. I did tell the desk and they were very good about getting someone to come clean it and were most accommodating and friendly. Breakfast was continental with toast, bagels, waffles, fruit and cereal.

Workout room was on the small side as were the pool and hot tub, but all working well.

Overall my stay was fine.

• Liked — accomidating staff
  • Disliked — dirty tub
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

This hotel is a dump! I don't expect much at these chain hotels, but there was black mold growing in clumps all over the bathroom ceiling, dirt/grim in every corner, hair clumps in the shower, and the musty carpet was oddly wet in certain areas. Just really nasty. But, Northampton has surprising little choice in affordable hotels, so at $80 a night this was the most econimical. Guess one gets what they pay for, so I shouldn't be surprised. Upon leaving the front desk asked, "How was your stay?" When I told them about the pathetic cleaning job they didn't say a word or even acknowledge that I'd said a thing.

• Liked — Close to town
  • Disliked — So dirty, I was worried I'd get bedbugs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stayed here well visiting the area in 2004 and I have to say it was a real dump that should be closed down. the location is off the highway and looks like a refurnished tenament. I think it has now changed hands like 5 times. The price didnt match up with the rooms that are dark, old and have doors walking right outside. It is scary here at night and in a weird part of this college town. Do yourself a favor and stay farther down the road at the Counrty Inn and Suites which is cheaper and newer!

• Stayed November 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
west texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

This place was a real dump! It was pretty cheap but the room was mildewly and smelled like mold. We both got sinus infections. It hadn't been cleaned in ages. I think that the outside doors are unsafe but had to stay at this place. There is no dining. We called out for pizza.

This place needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to stayable.
They need to clean and it would be nice to have more security.

there are few places to stay in this area but avoid this one unless absolutely necessary like us.

Stayed May 2005
melbourne, fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

Overall the stay was fine. The rooms had standard decor but a pretty nice bathroom. Beds were comfy. Unfortunately there was a high school team staying in the hotel and the walls were paper thin so you could hear quite a bit. Probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

This hotel was in close proximity to local attractions. Parking wasn't ample, but staff was very friendly. Interior of hotel was recently renovated and well maintained. Breakfast area was roomy and offered decent variety. I didn't bring a laptop, but was offered the use of a lobby computer at no fee. I would recommend this hotel anyone. I'll definitely be back.

• Liked — Clean and inviting. Easily accessible to highway.
  • Disliked — Parking.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make reservations during peak season... rooms sell fast
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

We stayed at the Best Western Northampton for two weekend nights. First, the positives. The room was quite large - a king size bed and a large sofa, with a small refrigerator and a coffee maker. Now the negatives. The room was poorly cleaned - the coffee maker had a used packet of coffee in it when we arrived. The walls are tissue thin - we were in room 136 in the 2 story hotel-style building, which is next to the fitness room and the pool. When the TV in the fitness room was turned on at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, it was as if we were in the same room.

From other reviews and from our experience, this hotel seems to get a large number of groups. We were kept up the first night by a group of young hockey players running around their room above us and in the hall. We were woken up the second night at 3 a.m. by a party in the hallway. A group of young (20-25 year olds)people were drinking and talking loudly in the hallway from 3 - 4:30 a.m. They decided at one point it would be funny to knock on our door every few minutes, until I went out in the hallway and yelled at them.

I got an apology but no reduction in my bill from the front desk when I complained the next morning. This hotel has the makings of a decent place, but I would not go back, primarily because of the extremely poor sound insulation in the walls. If you go here, do not accept room 136.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!