“friendly, comfortable and convenient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Northampton

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Northampton
Hotel Northampton
You added Hotel Northampton to your Saves list
36 King Street, Northampton, MA 01060   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Burlington, Vermont
“friendly, comfortable and convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

After reading several of the earlier posts, I was prepared for the worst. The Hotel Northampton turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. The hotel, though totally booked, was quite welcoming. The room was fine and the bed superb. The locale is central to downtown Northampton and close to restaurants, theaters, Smith College and Starbucks.

Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
hastings, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

The positive side is that the room was clean BUT it was really small and expensive. I've learned that "historic" just means old. The staff is not helpful and there is no justicifation for the price.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

Witnessed the situation with a room for newlyweds. Manager was extremely incompetent and non cooperative. Hotel is overpriced and has nothing to justify that.
You can have a drink outside at the bar - it's nice at the summer time.

• Stayed February 2005
washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

If you're there to enjoy the cafes, galleries and energy of this great town, this is where you want to be. A beautiful, unique old hotel with a great staff. The lobby is lovely--wood paneling, fireplace etc. You can sometimes catch a glimpse of locals(many are well-known artists and writers) on their way to a big events. It's not out of Disneyworld, but that's what makes it great. Definitley the place to stay.

New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

I reserved a room for my brother and his wife on their wedding night a week before the wedding. I spent an hour on the phone explaining to the concierge what I wanted them to have in the room upon their arrival.....Chilled champagne......Chocolate covered strawberries.....This was supposed to be my wedding gift to them and I wanted them to be pampered. I also wanted rose petals in the room and the hotel referred me to a florist that was able to accomodate me. I stopped by the room before the wedding to check on the flowers, which were there, I saw nothing else and assumed they would be bringing it later on since the couple would not arrive until after the wedding.
The next morning I got a call from my brother who was really disappointed. He said upon their arrival some lady behind the desk just handed them the keys and never even said good night. In the room there was no champagne, no strawberries. In the morning when they called to order room service they were told that breakfast ends at 10am, my brother went to the front desk where someone told him that he could order room service.....So basically he ordered from the front desk.
When I called to complain and told them they had ruined my brother's wedding night, the manager said he could only take off half of the charges since they had actually spent the night. When I told him that the only way I would be satisfied is if they gave me the room for free, he told me that was impossible. I then replied that I would dispute the charges with my credit card, he threatened me saying that I did not want to start anything with them and that my credit card company would side with him. My response was that we had nothing else to discuss, he was extremely agravated and rude, and never said goodbye. I am still waiting to hear back from my credit card.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2004

We made reservations for our anniversary for a room we had stayed in a few years ago with a large jacuzzi and a saparate shower, known as the bridal suite. I described it in detail when making the reservation, but upon checking in found out that the "bridal suite" was now a different room. Not only did it not have the amenities I requested, but it was a smoking room and had the undeniable aroma of stale cigarette smoke. I went back to the front desk to recify the situation and asked for another room, non-smoking and a king size bed. We moved to that room which was incredibly small and unimpressive with a bathroom barely large enough for one person to function in it. We discussed what to do in light of our complete disappointment, and decided to have dinner and go home instead of staying. We went back to the front desk and explained our reasoning and was told by the manager that we would be charged for the room anyway. I tried to explain that I understood the cancellation policy, and that we did in fact show up, but they were not able to provide us with the accomodations that we wanted and had requested. The manager replied that they had held a room for us and and therefore he had to charge us. It should be noted that there were plenty of other rooms available, so they certainly didn't turn anyone away due to our reservation. Obviously we will never stay there again, and now what was great memories of past anniversaries has been replaced with a bill of over $200.00 for nothing but aggravation and disappointment. Even though the lobby area of the hotel is impressive, beware of the overnight rooms, they aren't what you would expect!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2004

Picture perfect? NOT!!! This is the third time we have stayed here and each time there are problems. The rooms are small and the noise incredidble. Today we were placed above the kitchen vents . The garlic and oil smells were horrible. The lobby is always packed with a special event so youwill have to negotiate your way through a packed lobby, with foood and drinks. The management philosphy is "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT". Stay at a local B&B or the numerous hotels in Holyoke and Hadley. During graduation weeks this hotel increases their rates triple and have a 100% cancellation fee. Please stay out of this hotel. Thanks Greg

Been to Hotel Northampton? Share your experiences!