“Smith Parents--Think twice about this place” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Northampton
36 King Street, Northampton, MA 01060   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Smith Parents--Think twice about this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Don't make our $300 mistake!! We were sent to room#1-- it had foul odor that made our eyes water. Next, the front desk sends us to room#2. The AC was broken (it was needed at the time). We gave it 45min to cool off, but the room got warmer. The front desk response was "talk to the manager" and "We'll send someone to the room". We had dinner reservations & other plans. and we weren't willing to keep trying rooms till they got it right. We checked into the Hampton in Hadley (5 min. away) and had a fantastic room at half the cost. I'm sure that the Hotel Northhampton was nice in its' day, but the rooms we saw were small and outdated with worn carpet and not so clean. The manager of the Hotel needs to contact me and refund my money ($250room + tax + $15 cot rental + $10 tip to take our bags upstairs.).

Room Tip: We've had great experiences at the nearby Marriott and Hampton
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HotelNorthamptonExec, Executive Assistant at Hotel Northampton, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback—it is very important so that we can investigate and make improvements. I am sorry to hear that some portions of your stay were less than as expected. It is our goal to accommodate all of our guests to the very best possible standard. Please contact our General Manager, Essie Motameni directly at 413-584-3100 so that we may personally handle your next reservation. We hope that we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Ideally located in the heart of town and within walking distance of Smith College, this is a welcoming, comfortable and well-run property. Bathrooms are huge, with lots of grab bars...Gilbert and Soames amenities. Our roomy, two-bed room included one soft and one hard bed with plenty of down pillows. Free wiFi, and an extensive continental breakfast are included in the price of the room. Plenty of free, on-site guest parking. The only negative was the low lighting in the bedroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Palmer, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Last Oct 29 we were staying at the Hotel Northampton with several friends for my wife's 40th birthday. That night there was a severe snowstorm that blanketed Massachusetts. We were all recalling how we had to spend the night with no heat, food, or lighting beyond our flashlights. And, to top it off, they charged us FULL PRICE for our stay. Not even a discussion of how we could be made to feel better by perhaps offering 50% or another night at the hotel. Unbelievable that a 200+
year old hotel would not have a generator????

So, for over $200 per couple we had no dinner, no heat anywhere in the hotel, no lighting and a staff that could not care less about our situation.

I travel on business and pleasure and stay in hotels probably 75-100 nights per year for the last 15 years, and I can say without a doubt that this was the worst experience I have ever had. And the utter lack of sympathy by the General Manager of the hotel was apalling.

I have turned many customers and friends away from this hotel and hope that this review turns even more. You are taking your chances that nothing will go wrong if you stay at this hotel....and god bless you if something does go wrong. You will be on your own.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel in the area and you will get a better room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
greenfield ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

stayed one nite over columbusday wknd queen roon in building seperate from hotel called gothic garden looked great when we were shown room . we asked for late ck out planning to sleep in , cked in and went right out returned late and went to bed then discovered a/c inop ok cool nite opened the three big windows bed really squeaky ok tired handle breaks off toilet gee whats next . at 7.30 am construction across st starts up LOUD so up we go the shower does not drain how is this possible maybe one thing but all this . we ck out , never asked how our stay was ? so itell them the girl looks at me and ask if she shoukd sent some right over . well we are out but prob before you put thenext person in would be nice . looks up at me and says ok will that be all ., wow no so sorry no attempt to correct prob at all . so that last time for us and from the sounds of it many others too. this hote calls itself charming and luxurious not so much, if it was things like this would be adressed before ck in and with this list of problems a real nice hotel would take of a guest to make the happy oh well live and learn looks are not everything it what inside thats counts .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This review is long overdue. The Hotel Northampton is a beautiful historic hotel in the heart of downtown Northampton. It is tucked away in the Pioneer Valley within walking distance of local restaurants, bars and shops. This isn’t a “budget chain hotel” nor is it the Four Seasons but it is charming and hospitable.

My husband and I worked closely with Brianne Ebel to plan our July 14th wedding reception and I have nothing but positive things to say about her professionalism and dedication to her job. As a stressed and frazzled bride, Brianne was patient and accommodating towards our specific needs and requests. She is organized and dependable and was really able to help us plan our dream wedding - from the tablecloths to the cake. She has a great relationship with other local vendors in the area (photographers, florist, transportation, lighting etc) which was incredibly helpful and made the stress of wedding planning so much easier.
The majority of our guests were from out-of-town and we kept hearing nothing but nice things from our friends about the customer service of the employees throughout the wedding weekend (waiters, bartender, front desk staff ). I have so many more specific examples of the fantastic service we received but it would exceed the 200 character limit!

My only negative thing to say is that I had to stay in 3 different rooms the weekend of the wedding since the bridal suite wasn’t available until Saturday night. The front desk, however was very helpful in letting me keep my suitcase with them while I was changing rooms and even brought a lot of my wedding “gear” to my room for me.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I am so confused by the negative reviews about this lovely hotel. My wife and I recently stayed for 5 nights and had a great time. Fantastic bedroom, really friendly staff, good food and great position. We would certainly return! Loved the area too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I went to college in Northampton, and I remember that the Hotel Northampton was always a first choice for parents coming into town for graduations. It was supposed to be the "nicest" hotel in the Northampton/South Hadley/Amherst area. When I happened to be back in the area, I chose to stay at this hotel. I don't have any other hotels in the Paradise Valley with which to compare, but I found the Hotel Northampton to be ok, but not great.

The location is convenient for walking to all of the Main Street shopping and restaurants. Parking is easy. The hotel staff is friendly (well, friendly for New England--this must be put into perspective!), and the included breakfast was nice. The front atrium is lovely, with lots of light, and it is a great place to have a cup of tea or a glass of wine. The rooms themselves were a bit run-down, though. The air conditioner was noisy and the floors are uneven, so the door doesn't fit flush in the doorway, leaving a bit of light coming in under the door. The bathroom was usable, but small. The fitness center was adequate, but not as clean as I would expect a fitness center in a hotel of this caliber to be. The restaurant staff serving breakfast seemed somewhat preoccupied, in that I waited to be seated, but no one offered to seat me, nor did anyone offer to take my order. (I finally flagged down a waiter.) I don't know if this is usual, or if they were just understaffed that particular time.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I would stay here again. The positives outweigh the negatives. However, I would stay here knowing in advance that this is a quite nice 3-star hotel, but that the hotel does not compare to 4 and 5 star hotels.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Northampton? Share your experiences!