“Needs updating” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Northampton
new jersey
“Needs updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

I just stayed at Hotel Northampton for one night while visiting a friend in the area. It was an ok experience overall, but the place could be so lovely if it received updating! An overhaul is long long overdue. It looks like the only gig in town, so I guess they have that working for them and figure late 80's mediocrity is cost effective.

The location is great and our room was clean. Staff seemed helpful. We paid $190 per night. If I got this room for about $130 I would be satisfied.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Decor and Price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

We've stayed here a lot while visiting family in area. I think this past visit over Thanksgiving will be our last. It's a total crap shoot in terms of what kind of room you get in the original building (they can be dank and depressing), so I booked a "Gothic Gardens" room. We switched to a smaller room b/c the bigger one I reserved wasn't ready early, and we wanted to sleep when we got in. The queen sized room we got was just *ridiculously* overpriced. Yeah it has a nice bed and newer amenities and turn down service, but for $300? Please. It's not like it's downtown Boston. The top of the line hotel we stayed in Nashville after cost $30 more than that.

Also the hotel's website is horrible and confusing. Seriously need to update it.

While we like being downtown, I think next time we'll save about $200 a night and go to the new Marriott near Amherst. So it's out on the highway, but the rooms are better than Hotel Northampton and the price is right.

• Liked — Location and tavern.
  • Disliked — Price, and lack of free wifi.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

Probably because of the negative reviews, I was pleasantly surprised at how agreeable my stay was at the Hotel Northampton. The staff was always helpful and friendly, at the front desk as well as in the bar and restaurant. The (included) continental breakfast was one of the best I've had in a comparable hotel, with fresh juice and homemade breads and granola, fresh fruit and good coffee. The downside, as previously mentioned, is the quality and size of the room for the price. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had been redone, but the old TV on the TV stand, and the beat-up furniture didn't do much for the overall atmosphere of the room. Plus, (unavoidable because it is an old building), I could hear, word-for-word, every cell-phone conversation from the man in the neighboring room. The location was great, though, and I would probably stay there again if I were in Northampton without a car.

New Haven CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

After having read all the reviews, and talking the hotel, we decided to give Hotel Northampton a shot. We were very explicit about wanting
a quiet room - they placed the second floor annex, overlooking Main Street and the patio. We were very satisfied. The patio closes at 10 pm, and even before that was not noisy. It was a standard quality hotel room, the AC worked very well (though a bit noisy) and continental breakfast (included) was wonderful. It was an easy walk from the hotel to anywhere in the center of Northampton. Staff was attentive, could have been a little friendlier, but were fine. We would not hesitate to stay here again should we need to go back to Northampton.

Stayed August 2007
New York, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

We were looking forward to a lovely experience in a historic hotel on the night of July 21, 2007. What we got was a room with two balconies, nice exposures, BUT the room was musty, with dirt and dust under all the worn furniture, and a bathroom toilet that smelled like a dirty gas station men’s room and a sink that wouldn’t drain. We did not shower there. The odor was too foul in the bathroom to want to be in there for longer than a minute. We checked in very late so just endured as we were checking out at 11 AM But it was also noisy. There was constant noise coming from a hotel compressor. The staff, all young, were pleasant as can be, BUT really this place s a mess. The rugs are dirty throughout the hotel. When our room service breakfast arrived (late) they failed to bring butter or jam with the cheap toast and no salt or pepper either, but they did bring old petrified, fried, what looked like half eaten chicken finger pieces mixed in with the potatoes (guess no one bothers to clean out the fryer between the night before and the next morning) It was disgusting. I wrote them a note about all this, but I could tell it would mean nothing, when another woman was making similar complains as we both checked out and the desk clerks were just nodding sweetly, like they’d heard it al a thousand times before. I think many families pass through that hotel on their way to look at colleges. But there are plenty of other places to stay in the area and I strongly advise avoiding this disrespectful, careless, and disgusting place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty,worn, low, low standards. Terrible food,
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We stayed in the Hotel Northampton for 4 nights. We booked a “suite”, which turned out to be a single room with a porch which the hotel enclosed. The porch had windows facing the street and the lobby, which was also enclosed. The room had very poor noise insulation. It faced a busy street and we were kept up late into the night by traffic. Then in the morning, I was awakened to the sounds of the maids vacuuming the lobby below. On the third night of our stay, there was a wedding celebration in the ballroom adjoining the lobby. The music in our room was unbearably loud. I can not believe that they would rent out this room on the night of a wedding. I called the front desk and they told me that the wedding would be going until midnight. I requested a room change, which they granted. But, since we had a suite with two separate rooms (kind of), I requested another suite or two separate rooms. It turned out that there were no other suites available, but they did have two separate rooms and so they charged me for two rooms! I wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed July 2007
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

My boyfriend and I were in Northampton to see a concert and did not want to drive the 3 plus hours to get home so we chose to stay at Hotel Northampton. Originally, we had no intention of staying the night in Northampton, so we did not have a reservation. We walked into the lobby at 8pm on a Saturday night to see if there was any availability. Being graduation weekend for many of the local colleges, we were 1) surprised there was availability and 2) happy the rate was $175/night. Granted this was a tad bit more than we would have liked to have spent just to crash for 8 hours, but when the Clarion down the road was asking $170/night, it didn’t seem so bad.

My initial impression of the hotel was that this was a 4-5 star hotel. The lobby was nicely decorated. The hotel staff was dressed well. The restaurant looked somewhat swanky from the outside. There was a wedding going on in the ballroom, which looked gorgeous . . . all seemed very, very lovely.

We took the elevator up to our room on the third floor. One room key did not work, but the other was fine. When I opened the door to the room I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. Now I began to think it was a 3 star hotel. The room was decent sized, but nothing special. There was a king sized bed, a chair and ottoman, and a desk. The comforter on the bed was floral print. The chair and ottoman were plaid. It looked at is they were just thrown together and did not match at all. Ok, ok so I’m being picky, but the lobby seemed so nice, I guess I just expected more. The linens on the bed were a little stiff and starchy but fine once we settled into bed. The mattress was very comfortable and there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet, which is always a plus. The bathroom was average. There was no heat lamp in ours as mentioned in a previous post, but there was an exhaust fan which, according to another review, was missing from their room. The floor tiles did seem a little worn, but it was not horrible.

We ended up not eating in the restaurant as it was Mother’s Day and very crowded. All in all our stay was fine. It was an average room in a pretty building. The biggest plus was the hotel location. As other reviews mentioned, you are paying for the convenience of being in smack dab in the middle of Northampton.

Would we stay there again? Probably not. It was an average hotel for a higher than average price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — value
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Northampton? Share your experiences!