“Gem near Northampton” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northampton
Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Gem near Northampton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here, the rooms were clean and cozy, breakfast was delicious, and the animals were pretty awesome. I didn't feel like the weather was good for outdoor stuff, there wasn't any snow on the ground. I also didn't realize there was no TV or internet available, which I totally live on!
But John and Dee were super accommodating and helped me out when I first got there at night a whole bunch, way out of what was required of them. And when it was so cold that the llamas weren't coming out voluntarily, John got them out with some grain. Also I was staying alone, and John hung out and chatted with me while I ate breakfast both mornings, and I really enjoyed his company.
I recommend this to people who like staying off the beaten path, want something cozy and unlike regular hotels, and generally can make activities for themselves. And for people who really enjoy homemade breakfasts!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Hampshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at Starlight Llama B&B in November - thanks to a Lonely Planet recommendation. We arrived in the dark to be immediately met my John and shown to our very comfortable room, I believe the very talented John made most of the bedroom furniture which was beautiful. As the B&B is off (electricity) grid, there isn't a tv in the room but you can use your tablet or laptop to check up on the outside world.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful starting with fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola and followed by egg dishes (cheesy scrambled eggs on day one and pumpkin pancakes the following day) using eggs from John's hens! While my husband is a confirmed meat eater he was very happy with the options.

The breakfast was made even better by John and the other guests' company as it was great to be able to discuss recent events (election etc) and to gain another perspective to that offered by the media. We were also able to ask questions that we wouldn't necessarily have been able to ask if we were staying in a hotel as John was so friendly and knowledgable. John also gave us eating recommendations which we used.

In summary, we totally lucked out with Starlight as we didn't know the area and plumped with a recommendation without doing any research as we left it until the last minute to book but we hope to return at some point in the future as there's so much to see and do in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stay here regularly when in Northampton for a board meeting. It's always clean and comfortable. Breakfast is healthy and yummy. John and Dee are extremely friendly, easygoing and accommodating, and I always look forward to easy and engaging conversation over breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My son and I spent 5 days here recently and were beyond pleased to find such a home away from home in the Northampton area. John and Dee are engaging hosts, sometimes it was hard to tear ourselves away from the breakfast conversation to get on with our day! I loved going to sleep hearing the faint booming of the emus or just the quiet hum of nature, and waking to the clucking of the chickens or the calls of the peacocks. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful every day. Yogurt, granola and fruit (some from their garden) started each morning, followed by eggs (from their hens) and/or other tasty dishes. The apple cider french toast and pumpkin pancakes deserve an extra special thumbs up. I'm not a vegetarian, but still very much enjoyed the veggie sausage they often served.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and well-ventilated with screened windows and a fan I only needed for a few minutes here and there in the late morning or afternoon. Nights were cool and pleasant even in July, and true to their name, the lack of light pollution makes for lovely star-gazing.

This is a "road less traveled" option, strikingly different from a typical B&B experience and so very worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
West Boylston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the 'inside' room while a friend stayed in one of the 'outside' rooms. The 'outside' rooms are the ones right off the back entrance. Our room required passing thru the corner of the kitchen to another private hallway where our room and bath were situated. The warm welcome started with our initial email and calls to inquire about lodging. When we arrived, we were greeted and made to feel right at home immediately. We were in town celebrating completion of MBAs in Sustainability and this was the perfect place to celebrate and finally unwind. We had plenty of privacy and John and Dee were wonderful hosts providing a generous breakfast of fruit, granola, yogurt, fresh eggs and pumpkin pancakes with local syrup. Coffee was nice and strong and the tea selection bountiful. We enjoyed their company and even had a 3rd friend stop by the next day to see the place and hear about the farm, solar setup etc. You'd never know you were not on the grid. We had plenty of light and hot water.
Yes it is a 15 minute drive from Northampton but we don't see that as a bad thing. The ride is nice, passing near a local winery or Musante Beach depending on the route you take. The animals are fun and added to the ambiance of the place overall. We were even able to take home some peacock feathers as a memento.
We felt like guests, not intruders in someones home and our hosts gave us plenty of time and space to relax. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in June 2011 when visiting for a wedding in Northampton - and it was a lot closer than most other options. Dee and John are nice, warm and welcoming and also able to give you your space. I did not feel like I was just sleeping in someone's spare room. The rooms are actually separated from the rest of the house by a door and hallway - with a door to the outside at the end of the hall. I chose the back corner room for quiet and more privacy - clean, comfortable, nice bed and shower stall bathroom. And the screened windows were open with fan going - great b/c I don't like AC - and it was not hot at all. Did not really hear other people in the house - even the person staying in the next room. It's "off the grid" but you can still charge your phone and get on the internet. Breakfast was tasty and vegetarian unless vegan is requested. The animals are interesting. Definitely a change for someone used to city-living and a fun place to take kids even if you're not staying at the B&B. Took a nice walk the morning before I left in their back woods area too - it was nice, quiet and not scary. ;)
I researched ALL of the options in the area at the time before selecting Starlight Llama - so much better than the average hotels in the area and most of the B&Bs too (from their pictures and offerings). And, as someone who likes the idea of the B&B but does not want to feel like I'm just staying in someone's guest room, I highly recommend you give them a call. You'll enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Henniker, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Starlight Llama B&B. We both went to college at UMass 30+ years ago, so we really enjoyed being able to spend time in the area and seeing what had changed in the towns surrounding Amherst and Northampton. We are also looking to find our "retirement" place and have been considering going off grid and doing some small scale farming - so this was a natural choice for us!!

John and Dee were great hosts, welcoming and friendly. In addition to John's cooking (he prepares the breakfasts) he is very happy to share his wealth of knowledge on solar electricity and farming. Our room was very nice - snug, but not overly cramped. Very clean. No TV or entertainment (OK by us since we like to read). Breakfasts were very tasty and healthy. If you're looking for spas, hot tubs, cable TV and the like, then probably isn't for you. But if you are looking for a quiet retreat that is a little away from downtown (but still within 15 minutes from downtown Northampton and museums and restaurants) I would highly recommend staying here!

PS. The animals are very friendly :-)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!