“Wonderful hosts, great food and a unique setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northampton
Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast
You added Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
940 Chesterfield Road, Northampton, MA 01062   |
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Huntsville, Alabama
“Wonderful hosts, great food and a unique setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My son and I spent 5 days here recently and were beyond pleased to find such a home away from home in the Northampton area. John and Dee are engaging hosts, sometimes it was hard to tear ourselves away from the breakfast conversation to get on with our day! I loved going to sleep hearing the faint booming of the emus or just the quiet hum of nature, and waking to the clucking of the chickens or the calls of the peacocks. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful every day. Yogurt, granola and fruit (some from their garden) started each morning, followed by eggs (from their hens) and/or other tasty dishes. The apple cider french toast and pumpkin pancakes deserve an extra special thumbs up. I'm not a vegetarian, but still very much enjoyed the veggie sausage they often served.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and well-ventilated with screened windows and a fan I only needed for a few minutes here and there in the late morning or afternoon. Nights were cool and pleasant even in July, and true to their name, the lack of light pollution makes for lovely star-gazing.

This is a "road less traveled" option, strikingly different from a typical B&B experience and so very worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
West Boylston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the 'inside' room while a friend stayed in one of the 'outside' rooms. The 'outside' rooms are the ones right off the back entrance. Our room required passing thru the corner of the kitchen to another private hallway where our room and bath were situated. The warm welcome started with our initial email and calls to inquire about lodging. When we arrived, we were greeted and made to feel right at home immediately. We were in town celebrating completion of MBAs in Sustainability and this was the perfect place to celebrate and finally unwind. We had plenty of privacy and John and Dee were wonderful hosts providing a generous breakfast of fruit, granola, yogurt, fresh eggs and pumpkin pancakes with local syrup. Coffee was nice and strong and the tea selection bountiful. We enjoyed their company and even had a 3rd friend stop by the next day to see the place and hear about the farm, solar setup etc. You'd never know you were not on the grid. We had plenty of light and hot water.
Yes it is a 15 minute drive from Northampton but we don't see that as a bad thing. The ride is nice, passing near a local winery or Musante Beach depending on the route you take. The animals are fun and added to the ambiance of the place overall. We were even able to take home some peacock feathers as a memento.
We felt like guests, not intruders in someones home and our hosts gave us plenty of time and space to relax. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in June 2011 when visiting for a wedding in Northampton - and it was a lot closer than most other options. Dee and John are nice, warm and welcoming and also able to give you your space. I did not feel like I was just sleeping in someone's spare room. The rooms are actually separated from the rest of the house by a door and hallway - with a door to the outside at the end of the hall. I chose the back corner room for quiet and more privacy - clean, comfortable, nice bed and shower stall bathroom. And the screened windows were open with fan going - great b/c I don't like AC - and it was not hot at all. Did not really hear other people in the house - even the person staying in the next room. It's "off the grid" but you can still charge your phone and get on the internet. Breakfast was tasty and vegetarian unless vegan is requested. The animals are interesting. Definitely a change for someone used to city-living and a fun place to take kids even if you're not staying at the B&B. Took a nice walk the morning before I left in their back woods area too - it was nice, quiet and not scary. ;)
I researched ALL of the options in the area at the time before selecting Starlight Llama - so much better than the average hotels in the area and most of the B&Bs too (from their pictures and offerings). And, as someone who likes the idea of the B&B but does not want to feel like I'm just staying in someone's guest room, I highly recommend you give them a call. You'll enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Henniker, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Starlight Llama B&B. We both went to college at UMass 30+ years ago, so we really enjoyed being able to spend time in the area and seeing what had changed in the towns surrounding Amherst and Northampton. We are also looking to find our "retirement" place and have been considering going off grid and doing some small scale farming - so this was a natural choice for us!!

John and Dee were great hosts, welcoming and friendly. In addition to John's cooking (he prepares the breakfasts) he is very happy to share his wealth of knowledge on solar electricity and farming. Our room was very nice - snug, but not overly cramped. Very clean. No TV or entertainment (OK by us since we like to read). Breakfasts were very tasty and healthy. If you're looking for spas, hot tubs, cable TV and the like, then probably isn't for you. But if you are looking for a quiet retreat that is a little away from downtown (but still within 15 minutes from downtown Northampton and museums and restaurants) I would highly recommend staying here!

PS. The animals are very friendly :-)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Marshfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I happened upon this wonderful establishment while researching places to stay while I was attending a class at Snow Farm Craft School in nearby Williamsburg. I was first drawn to the name because I am an animal lover and hoped to get some close up encounters with animals. The other draw for me was that they are completely "off the grid". Their home is run by solar power.
John and Dee were wonderful hosts and i enjoyed breakfast with them every morning. Breakfast consisted of homemade pancakes, fresh fruit with yogurt, juice, coffee or homemade french toast and veggie sausage.
The room was basic but very clean with a writing desk and chest of drawers and a wardrobe for hanging items. The bathroom was attached and very clean as well. The bed was very comfortable. There was a fan in the room as air conditioning would have been too much of a draw on their power. I was so pleased with this as I DO NOT like air conditioning.
They are situated in the country way off the road in a very peaceful and quiet area.
They have 4 llamas, 2 goats, one donkey, 2 emus, chickens, guinea fowl and 2 peacocks. Oh and 3 dogs. The animals are all fenced in except for the guinea fowl, chickens and peacocks which run free. I was able to get some amazing pics of the peacocks and got to meet all of the other animals as well.
I stayed here for a week and had no issues with anything. I was so pleased with my stay and hope to be able to return with my husband at some point in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed here for three (happily extended to four) nights on our recent New England trip and it made our holiday. A beautiful location, not too far from Northampton but enough to feel secluded, wonderful hosts and a delightfully eclectic collection of animals including a peacock, emus, a donkey and the eponymous llamas!

And the breakfasts - did I mention those? A leisurely time for excellent (vegetarian) food, fresh coffee and chatting with the other guests, these were a real highlight.

The ideal location to get away from the world and just unwind. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Stayed here one night with my daughter and will definitely be coming back! Great find...a little off the beaten path, but near to the restaurants and shops of Northampton. Rooms are small but very cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was outstanding - fresh eggs and homemade french toast, along with yogurt, fruit and cereal - and we got to pet and feed the llamas, goats and mini-donkey. They lent my daughter a pair of snowshoes so we could do a bit of hiking on the trails.

Note: this is NOT for everyone...if you are looking for spacious luxury accommodations and a flat-screen TV in your room, don't bother. But if you want some peace and quiet in a beautiful location with awesome hosts and a warm welcome, this is the place to be!

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!