“clean, updated, vegan-friendly, and not too off-the-grid” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northampton
Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast
You added Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
940 Chesterfield Road, Northampton, MA 01060   |
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Haven, Connecticut
“clean, updated, vegan-friendly, and not too off-the-grid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in June 2011 when visiting for a wedding in Northampton - and it was a lot closer than most other options. Dee and John are nice, warm and welcoming and also able to give you your space. I did not feel like I was just sleeping in someone's spare room. The rooms are actually separated from the rest of the house by a door and hallway - with a door to the outside at the end of the hall. I chose the back corner room for quiet and more privacy - clean, comfortable, nice bed and shower stall bathroom. And the screened windows were open with fan going - great b/c I don't like AC - and it was not hot at all. Did not really hear other people in the house - even the person staying in the next room. It's "off the grid" but you can still charge your phone and get on the internet. Breakfast was tasty and vegetarian unless vegan is requested. The animals are interesting. Definitely a change for someone used to city-living and a fun place to take kids even if you're not staying at the B&B. Took a nice walk the morning before I left in their back woods area too - it was nice, quiet and not scary. ;)
I researched ALL of the options in the area at the time before selecting Starlight Llama - so much better than the average hotels in the area and most of the B&Bs too (from their pictures and offerings). And, as someone who likes the idea of the B&B but does not want to feel like I'm just staying in someone's guest room, I highly recommend you give them a call. You'll enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Henniker, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Starlight Llama B&B. We both went to college at UMass 30+ years ago, so we really enjoyed being able to spend time in the area and seeing what had changed in the towns surrounding Amherst and Northampton. We are also looking to find our "retirement" place and have been considering going off grid and doing some small scale farming - so this was a natural choice for us!!

John and Dee were great hosts, welcoming and friendly. In addition to John's cooking (he prepares the breakfasts) he is very happy to share his wealth of knowledge on solar electricity and farming. Our room was very nice - snug, but not overly cramped. Very clean. No TV or entertainment (OK by us since we like to read). Breakfasts were very tasty and healthy. If you're looking for spas, hot tubs, cable TV and the like, then probably isn't for you. But if you are looking for a quiet retreat that is a little away from downtown (but still within 15 minutes from downtown Northampton and museums and restaurants) I would highly recommend staying here!

PS. The animals are very friendly :-)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Marshfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I happened upon this wonderful establishment while researching places to stay while I was attending a class at Snow Farm Craft School in nearby Williamsburg. I was first drawn to the name because I am an animal lover and hoped to get some close up encounters with animals. The other draw for me was that they are completely "off the grid". Their home is run by solar power.
John and Dee were wonderful hosts and i enjoyed breakfast with them every morning. Breakfast consisted of homemade pancakes, fresh fruit with yogurt, juice, coffee or homemade french toast and veggie sausage.
The room was basic but very clean with a writing desk and chest of drawers and a wardrobe for hanging items. The bathroom was attached and very clean as well. The bed was very comfortable. There was a fan in the room as air conditioning would have been too much of a draw on their power. I was so pleased with this as I DO NOT like air conditioning.
They are situated in the country way off the road in a very peaceful and quiet area.
They have 4 llamas, 2 goats, one donkey, 2 emus, chickens, guinea fowl and 2 peacocks. Oh and 3 dogs. The animals are all fenced in except for the guinea fowl, chickens and peacocks which run free. I was able to get some amazing pics of the peacocks and got to meet all of the other animals as well.
I stayed here for a week and had no issues with anything. I was so pleased with my stay and hope to be able to return with my husband at some point in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed here for three (happily extended to four) nights on our recent New England trip and it made our holiday. A beautiful location, not too far from Northampton but enough to feel secluded, wonderful hosts and a delightfully eclectic collection of animals including a peacock, emus, a donkey and the eponymous llamas!

And the breakfasts - did I mention those? A leisurely time for excellent (vegetarian) food, fresh coffee and chatting with the other guests, these were a real highlight.

The ideal location to get away from the world and just unwind. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Stayed here one night with my daughter and will definitely be coming back! Great find...a little off the beaten path, but near to the restaurants and shops of Northampton. Rooms are small but very cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was outstanding - fresh eggs and homemade french toast, along with yogurt, fruit and cereal - and we got to pet and feed the llamas, goats and mini-donkey. They lent my daughter a pair of snowshoes so we could do a bit of hiking on the trails.

Note: this is NOT for everyone...if you are looking for spacious luxury accommodations and a flat-screen TV in your room, don't bother. But if you want some peace and quiet in a beautiful location with awesome hosts and a warm welcome, this is the place to be!

• Stayed January 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

From the moment you get out of your car..you are met my two wonderful, friendly people and llamas, Emus, peacocks and more....and that is only the beginning...a very unique B&B off the grid and most of all vegetarian!!!!great for vegetarians....The room was comfortable, bathroom fine and the bed great... the breakfast was fantastic!!!t....he best I have ever had at any B&B I have ever stayed in. It is truly a wonderful experience run by wonderful people....you can't go wrong...give it a try...you will have a great time

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The hosts, John & Dee, as well as their menagerie of animals (none of which have access to the guest rooms) including peacocks & llamas, do a wonderful job welcoming guests from the hustle & bustle of modern living- to their 6th-generation farm. They power their home & rented rooms entirely from solar electric (PV) panels arranged on the roof and in the yard, with a backup generator for extended rain like we had when we visited. The generator is situated away from the rooms and barely registered in our ears- just a low hum for about an hour while it topped off the house batteries.

The room was small, but comparable to New York City budget hotel standards in terms of SIZE. The bedrooms have an adjacent step-in shower & bathroom. The rooms are accessible by a private side-entrance so there is little need to wake the household should you leave or return at night. The house is not wheelchair accessible, but I'm sure reasonable accomodations could be made since John is a builder. Area maps, guides, and tabletop games are provided, but families with children should consider renting the two rooms together in the hallway or all three rooms.

The house sits on the pasture of the family's old dairy farm, and hosts a network of hiking trails for the beginner/casual hiker. Expect some stream-hopping, and an hour hike following the paper map provided by John, with a vista of Mt Tom visible from one point.

I used the setting to propose to my girlfriend of two years, and although the night was rainy & dreary, it was great! She said yes, and we had two very happy innkeepers the next day! My new fiancee is a stickler for cleanliness, and she was pleased with the impeccable condition of the sink, shower, toilet, and room. That's saying a lot! We're vegan too, and Dee had no trouble cooking up some amazing vegan (no eggs or milk either) breakfast for us, including local maple syrup! We will definitely return! The price is very reasonable- cash, check, or charge. There is no AC since the household power generation from the panels is 1700 watts total; more than a single window AC unit uses in an hour! Our visit in late September was comfortable with windows open on opposing sides, with a gas heater in the room just in case. Be sure to take the "solar tour" upon arrival, so you can understand more the power needs of their household, and lessons you can take back to yours! Even apartment dwellers can save considerable amounts of money by cutting down on electricity use!

The only reason I gave 4 stars for location is that it's about 15 minutes' drive outside Northampton, MA, and it's not a walkable distance to the shops & college there. I actually saw it as a perk, since it's very quiet & remote, but being that it was raining, it made us not want to head back to town (for a very public proposal!) that night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!