“Don't waste your time” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Mystic, Connecticut
“Don't waste your time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The food was expensive for the quality; you are better off getting takeout elsewhere or grabbing a pizza for less.

Visited September 2011

New York City, New York
“Terrible excuse for a restaurant-steer way, way clear of this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Do yourself a favor and spend your money and your time somewhere else where the proprieter and staff value your patronage. In this place, the staff treats you like dirt, and the boss is as nasty a piece of work as ever had the gall to think he could run a retail business. Also, as if anything else mattered, the food isn't very good -- certainly not worth the menu prices. This is a joint that has been coasting for 30 years on an earlier reputation, bolstered by a pleasant Truro location and its Ye Old Cape Cod Tavern schtick.

There is a reason for all these other starkly negative reviews. Don't say you weren't warned. Steer clear of this place.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have been coming to the outer cape all my life. We have been eating at the Whitman House for the last 10 years. Today was my last time going to the Whitman house the food was terrible. The waitress never even came back to see if we liked our food. The steak was cold and the shrimp was way over cooked. When management was told about this they offered us a dessert on the house. We declined the offer and left. We will never return to the Whitman house for rude service and poor quality food at a high price.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
“50th anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

The restaurant was celebrating 50 years and had a special menu. It was amazing. The whole menu was great, can't say enough about the prime rib. Yummy. I highly reccomend it.

Visited October 2011
Harwich, Massachusetts
“If You Expect a Nice Time, Don't Go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

As Cape Cod residents and in a really good mood for Thanksgiving dinner, we went to Whitman House to celebrate. Our mood changed rapidly when our waitress came over and, not only did she not wish us a Happy Thanksgiving, she didn't even say hello or simile. She clearly didn't want to be there. She was efficient though, as well as dour.

The ambience in there is quite nice and the portions are plentiful with a fair price. I'm usually really easy to please as far as food goes, but the corn chowder had very salty meat of some kind in it and the turnips were unpleasantly sweetened.

All in all, after being in business so many years, the management has to know that their wait staff is the first impression for thier patrons. It is critical that they appear to be happy to have patrons that want to be there unless they only care about tourists that will be there one time only. We asked to take what food we didn't eat home and our waitress obliged by tossing a couple of styrofoam containers on the table. It was cumbersome at best and we had to stand to manuver the plates and scrape them.

The dining experience left us wishing we had gone to a restaurant that was truly glad to have us and welcoming. I own an art gallery myself dealing with the public all the time. As a result, I am very sensitive to the way I am treated when spending my money in an establishment. This was my 3rd Thanksgiving at Whitman House with the last 2 times being unpleasant.

• Visited November 2011