“If You Expect a Nice Time, Don't Go” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Harwich, Massachusetts
“If You Expect a Nice Time, Don't Go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

As Cape Cod residents and in a really good mood for Thanksgiving dinner, we went to Whitman House to celebrate. Our mood changed rapidly when our waitress came over and, not only did she not wish us a Happy Thanksgiving, she didn't even say hello or simile. She clearly didn't want to be there. She was efficient though, as well as dour.

The ambience in there is quite nice and the portions are plentiful with a fair price. I'm usually really easy to please as far as food goes, but the corn chowder had very salty meat of some kind in it and the turnips were unpleasantly sweetened.

All in all, after being in business so many years, the management has to know that their wait staff is the first impression for thier patrons. It is critical that they appear to be happy to have patrons that want to be there unless they only care about tourists that will be there one time only. We asked to take what food we didn't eat home and our waitress obliged by tossing a couple of styrofoam containers on the table. It was cumbersome at best and we had to stand to manuver the plates and scrape them.

The dining experience left us wishing we had gone to a restaurant that was truly glad to have us and welcoming. I own an art gallery myself dealing with the public all the time. As a result, I am very sensitive to the way I am treated when spending my money in an establishment. This was my 3rd Thanksgiving at Whitman House with the last 2 times being unpleasant.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Miami Beach, Florida
“Just an Average palce with a little more than average prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Everything here is just average. Nothing special here at all. Save your money and go somewhere else as the wait staff is not friendly and really do not seem to care if you are happy or not. The food is just average and the 5 of us all agree that it is nothing to return to.
Not a place that you have to worry about missing as there is nothing to miss here.

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, MD
“Owner says 99% satisfied customers......count me in the other 1%”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This establishment was suggested to us by our lodging manager. For those of you who have read my other reviews, you know I seldom, if ever, trash a place. So, I'll start off with the positive.
We were seated quickly, although without a friendly greeting. The cheese and crackers were good. My wife's Manhattan cocktail was well made and reasonably priced. The ambiance of the room was very nice. And there the coin turns....

After being seated, crackers served and drink served, we began to order. Prime rib out. Striped Bass, which the menu said was available April - October, was out of season and therefore not legal to sell. (Then why have available April-October on the menu instead of "Seasonal"?) Then after telling us that, the server says "Give me a second" and then disappears for approximately 20 minutes. I then left our table, informed the hostess, who I presume to believe to be the owner (because I overheard a patron say her husband was the chef) of the situation and told her we wished to pay for the Manhattan and leave. I also asked her for the name of another near by restaurant that may be open, as it was now getting late. At that point, she got her "tighty whities in a knot" and informed me they had been in business for 50 years and 99% of the customers were satisfied. No apology for the menu selections not being available or for the poor service. There were two tour buses in the parking lot when we arrived. My guess is that the reason that she has a 99% approval rating is because of captive audiences who have no other choice.
My recommendation...head down the road to Moby Dick's which has better pricing and you can BYOB!

• Visited September 2011
Pennsylvania
“Never a bad meal here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband, myself, our grown children and grandchildren have been coming here for years and have never had a bad meal. I'm not sure exactly why all the bad reviews. It's almost like a vendetta where people look for something wrong. I can only say try it and you will be very satisfied.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Had our wedding here. Once was a great restuarant.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had our wedding here back in 1989. Back then, great restaurant, great service, always a good experience. Celebrated our 22nd anniversary tonight. Called and reserved a 2 pound lobster for the night, for my wife, as we have done for the last 22 years. And I, as always, would pick out a fish entree when we arrived. After sitting down, the waitress informed us that there were no 2 pound lobsters left, but they still did have the 11/4 pound specials left. I asked her to check with the cook because we had called in and reserved a 2 pound that afternoon. I then ordered the bluefin tuna special rare for me. The lobster arrived, by looking at the size of it, she was correct, it was the special, they had run out of the 2 pound lobsters. She didn't have to say anything, we figured she knew they had let our 2 pounder go earlier. When looking at it, It had burn marks on the claws and body, which gave some of the meat a burnt taste, odd for a lobster that was boiled. Got me on how this happened. The bluefin tuna had that old fishy, been sitting on the dock to long taste. Not something you enjoy eating rare. We recieved the bill at the end and she did correctly charge us for the 11/4 pound lobster special, $22.95. I asked if the bill was correct, since we had ordered the 2 pound lobster. She said she would check with the management. She returned with the new check amount, and we were charged for the 2 pound, 39.95. Not what we expected, and not able to weigh it at that point. I guess I'm just sad because over the years of our loyalty and the joy my wife and I got of celebrating our anniversary here. It was a slow night, so we couldn't blame it on that. I guess it was just a change in attitude. Everything changes. One good note, the waitress was polite and her service excellent .

• Visited September 2011