“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in North Truro
Connecticut
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

My older teenage daughter and myself were expecting a quaint cape cod hotel but what we got was a cardboard box not just well worn. First off we checked in late which I had advised the hotel of a head of time and the desk clerk was friendly enough but she swipped my credit card so many times that she drained my account!!!! I was over charged THREE TIMES what I owed!!!!! The resort claimed that their CC machine was not working properly but I later ran into several other guests that had the same problem. One women found her credit card had been over charged SIX TIMES what she owed. I believe that the staff was just not properly trained. The problem was eventually resolved but no responsability was accepted by the hotel staff nor was there much effort to make up for this HUGE, STRESSFUL and VERY INCONVIENENT problem. They would not even offer to comp us breakfast when asked! Then we found that the pool was not even filled with water and the beach that the web site says is : "With plenty of fresh air and space for you and your pet, trails through the Cape Cod National Seashore leading direct to the Atlantic Ocean. " If you plan on walking to the beach on the trail that leads directly to the Atlantic ocean you had better pack a lunch. The manager told us it was only a 10 minute walk through the dunes of the cape. HAH! It was well over a mile long in thikely sanded trails over huge hills. We walked for about 20 minutes and were not even 1/2 way there. Take hiking boots! Trust me :-) you'll be glad you did. No wonder other people on the trail looked at us so funny in our flip flops and bathing suits! We were also told by the manager that it was the only beach in the area that had free parking - NOT TRUE!!!! We went right over in our car about 5 minutes away on 6A and found the North Truro beach with guess what? FREE PARKING! Additionally -the visitors center right down on route 6 mapped out about 5 other BEAUTIFUL beaches with free parking and none had the MILE HIKE UP HILL BOTH WAYS that the hotel manager suggested we go to.
The rooms were clean and I must compliment the housekeeping staff. They did a really nice job every day of our 3 night stay. The walls however are like paper! You could literally hear almost word for word everything that the folks on both sides of us were saying. Also I LOVE PETS but to listen to a little cocker spaniel yipping well past midnight was not peacefull at all. Not only did the dog bark almost all night but the other guests on one side of us had their own tail gate party in the parking lot going until 1am when I finally walked out and asked them to please keep it down. The next night it was the same sex 4some on the other side of us that romped around until 2am cavorting until one of them actually fell off the bed evidently in a great deal of pain!!

Overall we did have a nice visit to the Cape BUT this may be a pet friendly hotel but I would not say it is a family friendly resort by any stretch of the imagination. For a little more money you are better off going elsewhere.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
boston, ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

well, this was to be a birthday getaway for my wife with our standard poodle,oscar. we checked in and were asked to pay for the remaining nights before we were given the key to our room. the room was not clean so we changed rooms. it was worse. food remains behind the curtains and very run down. it was so disapointing that we left. we drove to provincetown, found a charming place that cost less.

we returned to the outer reach resort (resort?) and checked out having never used the room. they refused to reimburse us for anything. we paid for three nights. stayed 0 nights.

• Liked — nothing to like
  • Disliked — uncleanliness of rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

After reading the reviews, I too was a little bit nervous about staying at the Outer Reach. But my husband and I wanted to be in the outer cape with views of the ocean for July 4th and this was the only non B&B (we don't like B&Bs) that accepted pets. The hotel is 5 minutes from everything: Wellfleet, P-town, Ocean beaches, and bay beaches. It is set up on a hill and incredibly quiet. Yes, the rooms are shabby and the wall paper is peeling, but isn't that the point of going to the outer cape? If you're looking for glamour, try Hyannis or Ptown. If you want peace and quiet in a remote setting without cable, Internet, and telephones, then this is ideal.

Definitely go for a room with an ocean view and a deck. If you can request a specific number, try the rooms in the teens or the 30s as these have the best views (we were in the 20s and had to look past the pool to see the beach, but it still worked out nicely).

A few tidbits: the lobby sells coffee after 8am. try Race Point beach if you have a pup. although they say dogs have to be leashed, we found that it was fine to leave our dog offleash as long as we moved away from the lifeguarded areas.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We planned to stay here on the Fourth of July with our dog, but when we arrived, the room was so disgusting, dated, smelly, and far from the ocean that we got a refund. The fronk desk help was friendly at first, but not later. The biggest problem is the rate. The rooms are so overpriced for a pretty nasty room far from the water and from any activities, dining, and shopping. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2006
Milford, Ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

We've never stayed in Truro before we usually stay in Dennisport, but we wanted to go up a day early and decided to go whalewatching in P Town and go to the drive In movies in Wellfleet. This hotel was only about a 10 minute ride to P Town tops. It was only $59 a night which is pretty good for the end of June. We werent expecting much but it wasnt too bad.

Beautiful views of Cape Cod Bay, trails through the dunes, room was clean although the furniture was kind of outdated and the shower was more like a trickle. There werent too many other people staying there which made it very quiet. We didnt use the outside pool since we were only there 1 night but it looked very clean. Overall as long as you dont expect the Taj Mahal it is nice for the $$. By the way, if you do walk the trails bring tick repellent as there are ALOT of ticks along the trails

• Stayed June 2006
newton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

Having read mixed reviews of the Outer Reach Resort, I was a little scared of what I might find. The front desk was very nice. We came with an Irish Wolfhound. I thought this would test how pet friendly they really were. He's a lot of dog. Very sweet but makes a big impression. The room was very clean. I checked the tub, sink etc. couldn't have been cleaner. The bed linens were crisp and clean. We had a room with a deck that over loioked the ocean. Okay, there was a little peeling paint on the trim, but I really didn't care. I remember when the Cape was suppose to be rustic. The trails and the beach were great for me and the dog. P-town is so dog friendly,eating out was no problem. The restaurant on site was wonderful. My only advise is if you like coffee early, bring your own French press.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

Room smelled like pee, bed was ancient, way overpriced, no phones in any of the rooms, surly front desk help. We chose it because we were traveling with a small dog, but there is no way that this should mean staying in such a shabby room for $100 (out of season!) The beds were so bad that it was impossible not to roll inward (with a bedspread that our dog took way too much of an interest in sniffing!!), the carpet was stained and smelly and torn in places, the wallpaper looked like it was 30 years old with stains and ground in dirt, everything looked and felt dirty and old, furnishings were funky, the wind poured in the big crack all around the front door. The only pluses are the location: some view of the ocean, lots of greenery, and very close to Provincetown and the heater worked well. Yuck.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Outer Reach Resort? Share your experiences!