“Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
Durham, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This was my second trip to Meeru. Alas, I am unable to dive anymore and had a feeling I was really missing out on the main reason to visit the island, as the diving is world class. However this was my honeymoon and what a fabulous place to visit. Peaceful, beautiful, tranquil all these expressions. I was in my wheelchair most of the time and access to the bars and restaurants was very good, the staff very willing to help when required. The food was very good and there always been a very good choice. The weather was excellent, the rain did come but was only short lived.

Room Tip: I had a Jacuzzi beach villa which was quiet and very private which I liked
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear dave9984627,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort and Spa!

Thank you for choosing Meeru to be your honeymoon destination and for sharing your review of your holiday.

We are grateful of all your appreciation about the island. We are glad that the beauty of Jacuzzi Beach Villa had captured your interest.

Our Executive Chef will be very happy to hear your compliment about the food.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at reservations@meeru.com for your future visit to Meeru. We will be happy to welcome you again on your return.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed in Meeru early August with friends. From our first arrival right through to the final day we had a fantastic time, the island is a true paradise location. We did the two night cruise early in our stay and would highly recommend it, you are encouraged to go on the cruise with a restaurant voucher but quite frankly it is a no brainer, just do it, you will experience great service, fantastic sights and a some once in a lifetime moments. These include great reefs for snorkelling, night fishing, chasing through the water with dolphins, remote sand banks.... When we returned we had an upgrade to a jacuzzi water villa, which was just superb.
Overall the service, restaurants, rooms were all superb, no problem recommending Meeru to anyone, would go back tomorrow given chance.

Room Tip: We had a couple of nights in beach villas in the 400s these are very nice and newly refurbished and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear GeeMBee,

Sunny greetings from your holiday destination!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience from your recent holiday here in Meeru. It is so heartwarming to read your review.

Your feedback about the whole island and the service is highly appreciated.

We are glad that you had a great experience on the 2 nights cruise. It is always good to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the moments you had on the cruise.

Thank you for highly recommending Meeru, we are truly grateful for all your compliments.

We hope to welcome you as a repeat guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next plan in visiting Meeru.

Dartford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of our honeymoon and after being picked up by a very tired and uncomfortable boat we wasn't sure what to expect...
When we arrived the weather was crazy- mental winds which of course made the boat journey horrific! As we stepped off the boat we were greeted by their staff with a drink and immediately sat down for the check in service!
We stayed in a jacuzzi beach villa but to be honest after visiting the Vilamendhoo previously these rooms were extremely tired and in need of a renovation! The bathroom was lovely, however inside did need some attention!
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and all of the staff are very friendly and accommodating!
Personally for us the hotel was very overcrowded, especially in the restaurants! After visiting smaller more intimate islands we decided that we much prefer that! If you were to arrive for the evening entertainment past 9pm there was simply nowhere to sit and I feel they are just cramming people into the hotel to get as much money as possible!
Food was excellent, one of the best all inclusive's I've been to! A lot of variety and tasty too!
Pools were nice but got very very warm by about 4pm but the sea is obviously an alternative option to cool down in!
Apart from the bad weather on our first day it was amazing from there on in, we couldn't fault it!!
The reef around the hotel doesn't really exist and I think after going to the Vilamendhoo we were very spoilt with this!
We were however upgraded for 2 nights to a jacuzzi water villa and there is a bit more to see around there, but you really need to look for it! We stayed in the 300's villas but I think the other ones are much better for marine life! Also beware if you want an over water Jacuzzi villa the ones in the 300's don't have the Jacuzzi's over looking the ocean! They are round the back with no view! So ensure you ask for the north island ones if you would like that!
Staff were fab as I mentioned before and really make your stay special! Evening entertainment is very poor!! This needs revamping!
Personally I'd choose Vilamendhoo for an all round better experience but I assure you that if this is your first time to the Maldives then you won't be disappointed with the Meeru!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear carly190286,

Greetings from Meeru Island Resort and Spa!

Thank you for your detailed review about your stay in Meeru and for staying with us for such a special occasion.

Your feedback will provide us the opportunity to better serve our guests.
Meeru is as you mentioned a big island compared to Vilamendhoo. The size of our island is an advantage to offer a wider range of activity, but I do understand that some of our guests prefer smaller and more intimate islands.

I am really glad to read that you enjoyed the food. The buffet menu is indeed served is a 2 weeks rotating cycle designed to provide a good selection and variety of choices.

I am sorry that you found our entertainment not so entertaining. My team and I will have a look in this as well as in the mentioned renovation needed.

Thank you for your comment about my team. They are indeed ‘Fabulous’ and I want to take this opportunity to also thank them.

Carly190286, we would be very pleased to welcome you back to Meeru as our repeat guests if you change your mind. Should you need any assistance for a reservation please do not hesitate to contact us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Wow , what a lovely place to spend 7 days, wish it was longer.
We stayed on one of the over water bungalows (right at the end) which to begin with I thought may be an issue but in reality it was nice to be the last bungalow with only a view of the ocean.
The bungalow itself was really nice, with steps right down to the sea. Depending on the time of day the water was shoulder to waist height, ideal for snorkelling. We had a little mini man made reef just a short swim from our bungalow that was swarming with marine life , it was really invigorating to be swimming amongst all the fish.
The food was really nice , we had the same waiter & table for the entire holiday which worked well.
Whilst there we went on a sunset punch cruise, we were out at sea for about an hour and saw many Dolphins that would swim along with the boat.
We also took part on some of the evening entertainment laid on by the hotel. Crab Racing / 80's neon night , don't usually take part in this type of stuff but it was fun.
All in all an amazing holiday in an amazing setting

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Dear Phil H,

Sunny greetings from your Paradise!

Thank you for your feedback about your holiday here in Meeru.

It was a pleasure to share your comments with all the staff. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the location of your villa as well as the food and the night entertainment. Good also that you saw dolphins during the Sunset Punch Cruise, that’s a sign of a successful cruise.

Once again thank you for choosing Meeru and for taking some time to comment on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back as our repeat guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us at reservations@meeru.com should you need assistance in planning your next visit to Meeru.

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Meeru Island Resort & Spa is a wonderful place to go to for your honeymoon. I think at least 75% of the guests were just married when we were there. We booked the Watervilla's with jacuzzi and really: the villa was gorgeous. We had a lot of privacy on our balcony, which was really peaceful. Also the water underneath the villa was beautiful. By day, especially early in the morning, the water was really clear and you can find a lot of big fish in there (also rays!). In the late afternoon you can find many big sharks in the water, which was really impressive to see (also a little bit frightening). By night you can see many fish and sharks from the view of your balcony, since they placed a flashlight above the water, which makes you able to see the nightlife of the fish (they hunt by night).

The jacuzzi was also really nice to have. When you sit in there you have a beautiful view on the ocean. Actually, in our opinion, the watervilla was perfect: clean, large, romantic and peaceful. The villa was cleaned twice a day, which was really nice. We also received a small bottle of champagne and fresh fruit when we arrived, combined with a personal note which welcomed us as a married couple, which was really thoughtful.

The food in the restaurant varied by day and they had a lot of different dishes. You also have your personal waiter (we had Malik, really great and hardworking guy). We loved everything about the restaurant. It also had a great view on the beach and the ocean. The restaurant is just placed on the sand, so that means you actually eat with your feet in the sand. The employees of Meeru are really helpful and very kind!!! The cocktails and wines in the bars and restaurants were also really good and extensive! We loved them. The nightprograms were OK, not that entertaining. We only liked the DJ-night, which was a lot of fun since the DJ knew what kind of music the guests liked. Most of the time all the tables were taken in the bar where the nightprograms were held.

The island was also gorgeous. A lot of beautiful trees on it, white sand, very bright water. It was a pity that there was some trash into the waters when there was a lot of wind. You can find a lot of baby sharks near the beach.

The excursions were in our opinion very expensive for what you actually get. Especially the submarine was way to expensive in compare to the other excursions. It was not that impressive, since you can also see the coral and fish when you go to the housereef, which is free when you have the all-inclusive package. We did really enjoy the Kagi-island excursion. We saw a lot of turtles, beautful fish and even dolphins!!

The only negative remark we have is about the boats you go into when you have a excursion or when they pick you up from the airport. The boats are really outdated in compare to other resorts. They make a lot of noise, have a terrible smell of gasoline and are very old and ugly.

Lastly, we would definitely recommend Meeru Island!! It was amazing.

Room Tip: The 700 serie are the most beautiful villas they have (watervillas with jacuzzi). Very peaceful and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Kimberley D,

Greetings from your honeymoon destination!

Thank you for your wonderful feedbacks on your recent stay with us.

My team and I were happy to learn that the charm of your Jacuzzi Water Villa worked so beautifully on you and that you enjoyed the natural beauty of our house reef.

I would like to apologize for the points raised on our facilities and services where we failed to deliver to your expectation. I am sad to read that you found our evening entertainment not so entertaining and some of our excursions overpriced. Regarding the submarine excursion, it is in my opinion a good opportunity for the guests who are not comfortable in the water to see the wonderful life under the water.

Your kind words regarding our team was very much appreciated. I will share your feedback with my entire team.
Kimberley D, we are so pleased to hear that you definitely recommend Meeru this is for us the biggest reward. If there is anything I can do for your future stay with us please don`t hesitate to contact our Reservations team at reservations@meeru.com.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

beautiful island, but very expensive although all inclusive not everything is all inclusive and extras set you back a lot, a meal in the rocks restaurant is around £400 for 3 people.
good facilities but if you can have a water villa

Room Tip: water villa all the way
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mtk1505,

Greetings from Meeru Island Resort and Spa! Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you liked the island itself. Naturally, I am disappointed to read your comments regarding extras price. I am sorry for that.

Please be assured that we regularly price-check comparative resorts within the Maldives to ensure that we are charging a fair price for the quality of ingredients and food that we provide. So again I'm sorry to learn that you found us to be expensive in some areas as well as the disappointment of the choices in our “All inclusive Plus”. Feedback is such a valuable source of information, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and enables us to continually strive to improve our standards. Thank you for pointing it out.

Mtk1505, thank you again for sharing your comments with us. I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back in the near future. If you need any assistance please feel free to contact us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Wow! What a resort! Absolutely breathtaking location. The resort was beautiful. We were given an over the water jacuzzi villa upgrade compliments of Meeru for our honeymoon stay. The view from our balcony was spectacular! In the evening a halogen light lit up the sea under our villa and we sat and watched the fish and sharks for hours, transfixed. It was awesome! We returned one evening to a bed decorated with petals, fruit bowl & champagne which we enjoyed in our private jacuzzi. The food was brilliant with a wide variety & high standard. Staff were friendly & helpful. Meeru is a beautiful island. We we're go smacked at the seas colour, turquoise & as clear as glass. Snorkelling was amazing with such a variety of fish! We had a sunset cruise & watched dolphins as the sun went down on the horizon... Beautiful. We also snorkelled off the house reef & saw some awesome sights! I want to go back! I want to live there!! If you ever get the chance to visit Meeru then go because you won't regret it.....Simply stunning x

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Alana G,

Sunny greetings from your Honeymoon destination!

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay here in Meeru.
I am glad to read that you appreciated your upgrade in our Jacuzzi Water Villas.
We are also so happy to know that you had a wonderful time whilst on your vacation. I will be sharing your appreciation with the rest of the management and staff.

I could not thank you enough for recommending Meeru here on Trip Advisor.

We hope to welcome you as a repeat guest soon. My team and I will be happy to assist you on your next holiday here in Meeru.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!