“Honeymoon in what can only be described as absolute Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

You added Meeru Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |     |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
“Honeymoon in what can only be described as absolute Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wow! What a resort! Absolutely breathtaking location. The resort was beautiful. We were given an over the water jacuzzi villa upgrade compliments of Meeru for our honeymoon stay. The view from our balcony was spectacular! In the evening a halogen light lit up the sea under our villa and we sat and watched the fish and sharks for hours, transfixed. It was awesome! We returned one evening to a bed decorated with petals, fruit bowl & champagne which we enjoyed in our private jacuzzi. The food was brilliant with a wide variety & high standard. Staff were friendly & helpful. Meeru is a beautiful island. We we're go smacked at the seas colour, turquoise & as clear as glass. Snorkelling was amazing with such a variety of fish! We had a sunset cruise & watched dolphins as the sun went down on the horizon... Beautiful. We also snorkelled off the house reef & saw some awesome sights! I want to go back! I want to live there!! If you ever get the chance to visit Meeru then go because you won't regret it.....Simply stunning x

• Stayed August 2014
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Alana G,

Sunny greetings from your Honeymoon destination!

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay here in Meeru.
I am glad to read that you appreciated your upgrade in our Jacuzzi Water Villas.
We are also so happy to know that you had a wonderful time whilst on your vacation. I will be sharing your appreciation with the rest of the management and staff.

I could not thank you enough for recommending Meeru here on Trip Advisor.

We hope to welcome you as a repeat guest soon. My team and I will be happy to assist you on your next holiday here in Meeru.

1922
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was here last summer for three days with my family. It was amazing. We unfortunately did not get to visit any of the other islands within the Maldives though there was much to do where we were. The food was great too. Every day we went for breakfast, lunch and dinner and all the meals were different. The only problem we experienced were the bugs. Every night when we were asleep, our outdoor bathroom was invaded by huge beetles!! This only meant we had to brush our teeth in the restaurant bathrooms. Apart from that, our trip was PARADISE!

Stayed September 2013
Dear Aisling F,

Thank you for leaving a feedback following your stay and it gives me the great pleasure to know that you found the food and excursions brilliant.

However I am disappointed to read you had some issues during your stay with your open bathroom. We have read your review carefully and taken your constructive feedback seriously and we aim to improve in the areas where necessary.

Aisling F, we will be looking forward to hopefully welcome you as a repeat guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance in planning your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This resort is really a paradise on earth. Starting from our day 1 up to our last day, we really felt home in there. Very accommodating staffs, nice rooms ( we are upgraded to Jacuzzi Beach Villa) and the most unforgettable part is the buffet! I will really go back here!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear vulnerableeea,

Greetings from Meeru Island Resort and Spa!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience about your recent holiday with us.

Your compliments about the buffet will be shared to the Executive Chef and his team.

vulnerableeea, we cannot wait to welcome you back as our repeat guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at reservations@meeru.com if you need any assistance regarding your return visit to Meeru.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent 1 night here. Was impressed by the size of the island by Maldivian standards. It offers all the usual water sports, plus bikes, short driving range, 9 hole (par 3) golf course, tennis, football pitch. I stayed in a water villa, which was spacious. It had an outdoor spa, and steps into the aqua marine water. Beautiful. Eating is in a central dining area, where the food was plentiful and good standard. The island is in Male atoll so a speed launch trip from the air port.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear holdreamerbrissie,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your short stay at Meeru Island Resort & Spa and I am happy we could exceed your expectations. As you mentioned our island offers plenty activities to do such as kayaking, windsurfing, catamaran, golf, badminton, tennis and many more.

Holdreamerbrissie, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit for more days and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We choose this beautifull hotel-island for our honeymoon vacations!
It was paradise on earth! Everything was great, the flight, the vacations, the food, the water sports and of course, the spa. Most of all, the view from our room was breathless!
Our room was a water villa and was big enouph and romantically traditional with all the comforts. The Jacuzzi at the bathroom was an experience for us, also the bathroom in the garden!
We have enjoyed our honeymoon with relaxation.
The stuff was very kind to us and the variety of asian-european food and deserts was also good enough.
It was really worth it and will be always in my mind as the perfect place to enjoy the relaxation at the nature..!
What about the price? I think it's normal as a full packet, but the courses and the massage were a little bit expensive that we expected.
After all, someday, i will do it again!

Room Tip: The water villas includes a jacuzzi and the view is beautiful. Also, you can enjoy the beach and the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear olgamattrips,

Sunny greetings from Meeru.

Thank you so much for your lovely review and it is fantastic to read that you had a wonderful honeymoon at Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

I am pleased to read that you and your partner liked all the facilities and service at the Resort. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the food, the watersports and you found the view of your room breathless. I agree only a honeymoon in the Maldives will give you that opportunity to make the best of every second of this valuable and romantic time with each other in total privacy with your own private bungalow. I am really happy you felt so relaxed after your holiday with us and we hope your memories will last long of your perfect place to enjoy the relaxation.

olgamattrips, we would be more than happy to welcome you back as a repeat guest in the near future. Please contact us directly if you need any assistance with your booking.

Buckie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Don't know where to start been one of the best holidays ever location, weather, staff, food, entertainment, surroundings, accommodation I can't say enough about the resort. Arrival in Male went without any hiccups shown straight to boat transferring to Meeru island warm welcome whisked straight to villa and wow what a lovely place to arrive to. We were in the 500 north east side of the island we went straight out the patio door onto the beach and was welcomed by fish ever where what made it even more special a shoal of rays swam straight to the shallows right in front of us. Every day after that we were look look see that one like kids in a sweety shop weather was terrific the whole time we were there wasn't sure about going there in July but would return in a flash. The food in the restaurant was superb always some thing for everyone never seemed to repeat each day so very good service as well. I could go on and on but to some up the experience we would return in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad place on the island we set our hearts out for a in the water villa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Graeme B,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I am delighted that you and your partner chose Meeru Island Resort & Spa for your special occasion. It’s truly a pleasure to be part of such a wonderful celebration. I also was really glad to hear you loved your Water Villa and I agree the private sundeck with stairs into the sea and the perfect view of the crystal clear water and variety of marine like make your stay even more special. It is such a unique category where you can enjoy both sides, to be over the water at high tide and to have a small part of the beach for your own at low tide.

Graeme B, we would be delighted to see you back which I hope is very soon and I am sure we will once again meet your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went to Meeru on an all inclusive package in a water jacuzzi villa earlier than the date shown as it only allows 1 year back for a review.

We were on honeymoon and I would say quite experienced travellers. I hope you enjoy your holiday. This is what happened on ours.

The flights were as expected and we arrived at Male airport and waited for the boat transfer. The facilities at the airport were extremely poor, it's very hot and cockroaches run about amok on floor at your feet. The cafe was a shack with very limited drinks.

The boat transfer was fine although we did need to wait for an hour and a half. It's not a speedboat, it's a large diesel ferry type boat and it took about an hour. Personally I'd prefer that to a speedboat.

We were greeted very well when we arrived but were upset to be downgraded to a garden villa for a night, as our travel company had assured us this wouldn't happen after we had read the reviews about overbooking and queried the risk of having our honeymoon ruined.

We decided to make the best of it, but couldn't unpack. We received some fruit and wine as compensation. The villa was lovely but we hid under the sheets to avoid the mosquitoes- but they still got us. Well me. We weren't able to eat the first night as we missed our slot at the restaurant but we did get a choice of chicken or tuna paste sandwiches and scoffed all the fruit instead. Plenty of free beers and table wine, some juices but strangely not real fruit juices which left us scratching our heads why they would be excluded.

We spent a magical late evening playing and floating in warm water with palm trees. As our luggage was still unpacked my wife was in her underwear in the water and was terrified that she would get reported and arrested, but the place was deserted.

The garden villa did have a lot of large ants that were attracted to the open air bathroom and especially toilet and I had to shoo them away for her. Didn't see a single rat at any time. There were some building works nearby with demolition vehicles but they were well hidden.

The next morning we got moved to our jacuzzi water villa but ended up in a huge argument with the desk staff that the bottle of wine and fruit was sufficient compensation and they refused to move us unless we signed the document. I altered the document and signed and when we returned home, took the travel company to task and received over £400 in compensation. £200 for the difference in price and £200 for the upset.

We eventually got our luggage after a few hours and we settled Into the new villa. Absolutely stunning. Ours looked brand new, our bed looked out over the water, we had steps down into clear blue waters and the fish were everywhere. The villa and jacuzzi were exactly as I imagined it would be and the man who cleaned the villa everyday, quiet, respectful and diligent. He also did designs with the sheets on the bed every day which was a treat to see.

Strangely enough other staff at the island seems very different. Many seemed angry, or upset and often abrupt or would rudely ignore you. I did have a long conversation with one of the more friendly staff there and they said that most of the staff were foreigners, lived on the island, had no real entertainment or luxury themselves, hadn't seen their own families in months and in some cases over a year, so they were cabin crazy and resenting the holiday makers.

So we relaxed and enjoyed ourselves, didn't take it personally and ignored the grumpy staff.

The food was great, the deserts were repetitive bit well presented. I did expect more fish. The waiter was mostly silent, never smiled and we had a set seat and time slot throughout. The lack of flexibility should mean the removal of least one star rating (possibly 2 stars) and was part of the compensation package when we returned home.

The snorkelling was fantastic and made our holiday. You just need to find the deep pools, as on the whole the sea grass catches the sand and makes the water very shallow. They were removing the sea grass when we were there. We saw baby sharks, 6 foot sea rays, groups of one foot long lion fish and enough amazing fish in one place to rival an aquarium. Lovely!

The beach wasn't well looked after with shards of sharp coral everywhere on the sand. We tried going barefoot but our feet were just left bleeding so we had to wear flip flops at all times in and around the island and on the beach. The coral around the island is mostly dead, and the policy of removing the sea grass whilst making the beach more swimable will reduce the wildlife in the longer run in my opinion.

We did try and book excursions but they were fully booked and the Russians had a habit of rubbing out people's names and replacing which caused some upsets. The first thing you should do when you arrive is book your excursions or possibly pay upfront.

So overall stunning place, a bit regimental with food, no soft sand, grumpy staff and amazing villas.

Hope you enjoy!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear davros O,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us couple of years ago and I would like to say how naturally disappointed I am to read few of your comments.

On one hand I am glad you liked the Jacuzzi Water Villa which we provided you with however I am really disappointed to learn of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us and I wish to sincerely apologize. I am surprised to read that you found our staff abrupt and rude. I agree it is truly not the way guests should be treated while staying with us and I will make sure to inform all our management team to have a look into this.

Now we have a new system for excursions with an IPad so this type of inconvenience cannot happen anymore and only the Reception employees can cancel excursions for you.

Please rest assured that your remarks are being taken very seriously and I would be grateful to welcome you another time and you will discover many changes we have made since your last visit. Thank you also for the good comments and your conclusion that overall you were satisfied with your stay.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!