Travelled with First Choice/Thomson 2 week stay for our honeymoon in June/July 2013.
Stayed in a jacuzzi beach villa number 119 on an all inclusive plus package. We were allocated the central restaurant (starts with an F).
Transfer to the Island was very efficient and quick. Rooms 119 and surrounding are very close to the beach and you have private sun loungers. The island was very quiet and you would often find yourselves being one of few at the pool. No getting up at stupid o'clock to get a lounger.
Food was great and varied. Not just fish as is often mentioned. The Asian Wok if a little pricey is very tasty.
There are various bars dotted around the edge of the island. We spent most evenings in the Dhoni Bar which is next to the pool. Saeed the supervisor at the Dhoni is a great man. Very funny and intelligent. Meeru should identify his potential further!
The AIP plan includes the usual and around 8 cocktails, iced coffees, toasted sandwiches if you can't be bothered with lunch at the restaurant. The plan also stretches to the mini bar with most drinks within part of the deal however there is a list showing what is AIP and what is not. No wrist bands are worn. You regularly have to sign for what is eaten or drunk and its checked over by Meeru.
The sunset punch cruise was great. Saw dolphins and the weather was good. Unlike the second week which often rained and blew a gale. It is rainy season though.
Meeru is a larger than normal island, very clean with modern features. I suspect some of these aspects take away slightly from what the Maldives is all about however I would return.
I was somewhat disappointed with the prices of the excursions put on by Meeru. Fishing for 2 at $ 220 and 8 for around $1000! Why so much? We were looking forward to some excursions but the prices put us off.
Would not have minded playing on the pitch and putt in the second week when the weather was a bit off. Again a bit pricey for what it is and probably should be AI. The driving range is AI but you don't get the 100 balls advertised.
In short we loved our honeymoon. There are one or two things we would have liked different. From what we saw and from talking to staff such as Saeed, Meeru appears to be a very well run ship which also looks after its staff. A top end island for its price range. Lots of happy memories and pals made.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meeru Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Meerufenfushi, North Male’ Atoll. It is 1200 meters long by 350 meters wide, about 90 acres. Your speedboat transfer from Ibrahim Nasir International Airport is a scenic, 55 minute ride ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Meeru Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meeru Island Hotel North Male Atoll
- Meeru Island Maldives
- Meeru Island Resort Maldives
- Hotel Meeru Island