“Fantastic Meeru!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Meerufenfushi
Manchester
“Fantastic Meeru!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Myself and husband arrived on meeru on the 1st May, and was allocated beach villa 233. Nicely decorated, spacious with a perfect spot on the beach!
Kicked our shoes off once we arrived and didn't put them back on until on the boat going back to the airport! Some parts of the island are quite rough. But doesn't take long for your feet to adjust!
The weather was overcast for the first few days, but that soon changed. The weather was then glorious for the full duration!
Husband went diving most days and would highly recommend! I had a treatment in the overwater spa, was fantastic! We also went on the sunset punch cruise. We had no sunset due to overcast weather, buysaw plenty of dolphins which made up for this. We saw some lovely sunsets from the Asian wok once the weather sorted itself out.
Our waiter in the restaurant was called Adhil. what a lovely guy. Please say hi from dean and Joanna ward!
All staff on Meeru are second to none, and are willing to go the extra mile for you no matter what.
The new Dhoni bar is great, so relaxed with comfy seats for 2! The iced coffees in here are to die for, also watch out for Soushan?!! with his match stick riddles!
We had a fantastic time on Meeru and hope to return in june 2014 to celebrate my 30th and our 4th wedding anniversary!
MEMORIES WHICH WILL LAST FOREVER - THANKS TO ALL ON MEERU x x

• Stayed May 2013
Corinne F, Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Milmolmoo,

Your review is lovely, thank you so much for taking the time to write it. Meeru is definitely a no shoes no news island, glad you have enjoyed that. The diving is just great and there is lot's to see underwater. As all our Guest, we are happy that you also loved the spa. Thank you for your good comments for Adhil and Soushan, we will tell them about it. It would be really great to welcome you back in 2014 and celebrate your 30th birthday and your 4th wedding anniversary. Thank you again for your wonderful review.

Warm Regards

2,375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Hi all
We booked Meeru for our honeymoon, had booked them 6 months prior to our honeymoon with Hayes and Jarvis. I had done a lot of reserch on the maldives and meeru stood out as being one of the best resorts. Therefore we paid a considerable amount of money to stay in a JWV for 8 nights on Full Board package...

As it was our honeymoon I emailed the holiday prior to our visit to confirm our room and let them know we wanted our JWV from day 1 as Id heard of the overbooking nightmares. So imagine our surprise when we got the hotel and were told we were being downgraded to a beach villa for 2 nights as no JWV were available? The receptionist that signed us in wasnt interested or bothered with the fact that it was our honeymoon and we wanted the room that we paid for. She considered it adequate that we offered $210 dollars per night free and and an upgrade to All In as adequate compensation for the downgrade. When we told her we didnt want the compensation just the room we had paid for as we were only there for a short period... she shrugged walked off and tried offering us a better deal.... no apology or no hint of remorse... lets just say we were pretty unhappy with the start of our holiday!

We decided to move into the beach villa (225) as we had no other option and this was nice and clean but not ideally located. One thing we noted was that the room wasnt cleaned often enough.... our room boy only came once in the evening and after we called 3 times for it to get cleaned in the beach villas...

When we finally moved into our Jacuzzi Water Villa (716)....it was amazing! Very clean, tidy and really nice decorated. I would definately recommend booking one of these rooms if you can.... we saw lots of fish, sharks and turtles from our balcony and some really nice sunsets too.

The resort itself was very nice and well maintained. The waiter we had (Fazool) in the Malaan restaurnant was excellent as were the chefs and the quality of the food. Bar service was fast, efficient and friendly too.... so we were very happy with that aspect of the resort.

The only excursion we did was the sunset cruise and that was a good laugh and we saw lots of dolphins.

Overall, Meeru is a very nice resort and the staff are very friendly. The reception/ check in service,however, really lets it down and doesnt give a good first impression especially when you pay over £5000! They need to improve this aspect of things and solve the overbooking issue.... if this can be resolved then I'd give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Stay in the Jacuzi water villas - 700's .... amazing!!!!
Dear Krunal,

We are very sorry to read that your couldn't start your honeymoon holiday as you wished. I can imaging how upset you must have been not getting your booked room. We thank you for your review and we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay after you got the room that you booked and liked the Jacuzzi Water Villa, food and saw the beautiful underwater life.
The Sunset Cruise is a wonderful excursion. We will forward your good comment to Fazool. Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to welcome you again.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We just came back from Meeru and all I can say is a paradise!
The island is beautiful. You can walk around in about 45 minutes. We were there from 2nd to 14th of May and stay in beach villa in 400's. We did request room there before we came and we were very happy from the location. This part of the island is the best for us. We spent days near Pavilion pool and bar, snorkeling near JWV 300's and just had relax on the beach and evenings in the Dhoni bar, where were the best staff ever. They made my days! Thanks for best service, especially for Ferdinand!

Farivalhu restaurant was very good. Our waiter was very nice and helpful. Food was just so perfect. There is no much choice of it but everybody will find something for yourself. Bread, soup, omelette, chicken and some desserts were to die for. The bad point is that I put on weight there :)
I tried some cocktails (Maldivian dream, Tropical Paradise, Sweet dream) and desserts not from all inclusive and well was so good! Worth spend an extra money.

We went for 3 excursions. Firstly we were on "Hopping Island" trip where we visit 2 local islands, 1 picnic island with great place for snorkeling and 1 resort "Paradise Island". It was nice to see how the local people lives and work and also compare Meeru with another resort. We really enjoyed this excursion. Secondly we went for "Sunset punch cruise" which was for free if you are all inclusive. We were a bit disappointed as we saw only 3 dolphins but we enjoy this trip as well. And the last one was a "House reef" excursion where we saw beautiful natural reef with lots of colourful fishes.

One of the best experience on the island was the overwater SPA. I had 2 treatments- Moisturizing Coconut Cocoon and Coconut Hair Mask and both were fabulous! The lady made such a great job and after the treatments I felt so relaxing and pretty.

Also we met a lovely people in Meeru, not only the staff but also we made friends with another two couples and we had a wonderful time together.

I will just complain about our room boy as the standard of cleaning was very poor. He just made a bed, swept the floor and left new towels. Everywere was a lot of dust and desks and floor were sticky and dirty. We did complain about that to reception and after that was better but still it wasn't 4 star standard. Luckily we didn't spend too much time in our villa and it didn't affect our stay. Besides the room looks very well. Our bed was comfortable. There is everything you need. They fill up daily your shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and also fridge with soft drinks, water, sweets and alcohol.

I know people complaint about the rats but we saw just 2 in the evening in the middle of the island and they were so little and cute so don't be scared. They are harmless.

I forgot to say: you don't need to take any shoes! The sand is everywhere and it is so nice feeling.

We engaged in Meeru, had a wonderful time and it will be always in our memory. I hope we will come back there for our honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Corinne F, Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Anna,

Your review is really detailed and will help other guests to get a idea how their holiday will be when they come to Meeru, thank you so much for talking the time to write it. Glad you have enjoyed the different excursions. You saw Only 3 dolphins! To bad, but better then non. The Dhoni Bar is brand new and truly a relaxing place with a great atmosphere. We are happy to forward your good comment to Ferdinand. The over water spa is really beautiful and the staff do a wonderful job, all our guests love the massages.
Sorry to read about your room boy, but good that you mentioned to the reception. The rooms should be perfectly clean at all times.
We also hope to welcome you back soon and thank you again for your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

my wife and I stayed on Meeru for our honeymoon and we had a great time. We originally had booked a beach jacuzzi villa on full board. One gripe I do have is that my wife doesn't drink alcohol, so it didn't make sense for us to go on all inclusive, so we had to pay for all of our drinks. This was remedied half-way into our stay because there seemed to be a problem with the bookings of the rooms, and one of the staff asked if they could have our room for the night and if we minded going on a boat for one of the cruises. My wife and I had looked at the cruises when we arrived, but they were for 2 nights and we only really wanted to spend our honeymoon relaxing so we didn't want to do them, but this was for one night - I could also sense their desperation so asked if we could be upgraded to a jacuzzi water villa on the east side as well as all inclusive when we returned, and they were only happy to oblige - so that was a great delight for us, as we could see sharks and stingrays and all kinds of fish just off our back door.

The snorkling at the island on the cruise was so awesome - we saw a turtle, heaps of fish and one of our guides said he saw a big shark (that's a good thing if you ask me - I wish I saw it!) the staff on the cruise were also really friendly, although Areef cheats at Uno.

The food on Meeru is also pretty good as well - it is a little shame sometimes, because they have the freshest fish however because they are cooking such large quantities, the quality isn't what you may hope for, but it is passable. I was also concerned that being in the Maldives would mean a premium on bacon or pork products as their is with alcohol - this was not the case, really good bacon. I would also recommend the lamb chops as well. Our waiter Mousa was really friendly.

The only other critique I would have is that reception always seemed really busy, and was perhaps under-staffed. some would say that parts of the island were too windy or noisy, but the island is such that you can find a quiet/sunny/shaded/active area no matter what your fancy.

All in all, we had a great time.

Room Tip: The west side is windy/breezy, but you will get the sunset. It seemed to be a lot hotter on the East...
Dear Muggaz,

The whole Meeru team thanks you very much for your wonderful review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us.
Great that all worked out with the upgrade and that you likes the Jacuzzi Water Villa. Snorkeling is really amazing and there is lot's to see, hope you had the underwater camera ready. We will tell Areef about your commend and to behave himself next time :-)
Thank you as well for mentioning Mousa, he really is a great waiter.
Glad that you enjoyed the meals.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and we hope to welcome you again in Meeru

Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great resort but not worth the risk of them ruining your holiday!

We booked our stay directly with Meeru and were offered a Garden Room All Inclusive with the carrot of an upgrade to the best available room on arrival subject to availability.

Great I thought and worse case is we end up in the garden room which will just be smaller and not prime location on the beach. Wrong! What Meeru and their website don't tell you is the Garden Rooms are horrible substandard rooms that appear as if they are converted staff quarters. They are clean and tidy and I would be more than happy to stay in them if I were being paid, but not the other way around! They have minimal old fashioned, basic and tired furniture, the rooms smell of damp and are dark with very little natural light. The have decking outside which is semi-shared with the adjacent rooms with no privacy. This is not a problem as you wouldn't want to sit there anyway!

It felt like we were being treated like second-class guests just because we had been offered a cheap deal, however as the week progressed I learned that the resort was constantly overbooked and guests were being out booked to goer resorts or downgraded on arrival. Everyday we saw guests arrive in the garden rooms who had booked more expensive rooms and everyday I saw guests complaining.

It appeared that most of these guests ended up with a better room at some point during their stay because they had booked with a tour operator and their rep had more influence. However as we were just a direct booking we were put to the bottom of the pile.

When booking this holiday we looked at a number of resorts and had serval very attractive options. We decided to book with Meeru because they were so helpful and accommodating. How else would they get someone to pay to stay in these dreadful rooms?! As soon as I arrived I started looking for another resort to stay in however everything was now fully booked so we were stuck!

I am sorry to say our stay was ruined and our impression of the island. The Garden rooms and the way the reservations are managed let the resort down. Otherwise the food and drink is good, the swimming pools and other facilities are excellent.

I wouldn't recommend booking this resort, even if you book the honeymoon suite, because you have no guarantee you'll get it!

Avoid, it's not worth ruining your holiday!

Room Tip: Avoid the Garden rooms whatever you do!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Corinne F, Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear WiseDiner,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry that you didn't like the booked Garden Room, they are our lowest room category, still many Guest think they are nice. We wish that you could't have enjoyed your holiday, sad that you didn't. We do try our best to upgrade, but if the Island is fully booked it's simply not possible.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at Meeru Island Resort for my honeymoon for one week on a full board basis. Me and my wife stayed in a jacuzzi water villa located north of the island.

Both me and my wife really enjoyed our holiday and would recommend it to others. The food was lovely. Both me and my wife are vegetarians. During meal time there were limited vegetarian options on some days. However, the dining staff told us if we wanted anything specific they would make it for us. During breakfast you can get free coffee/English Tea and some other juices. For all other meals you have to pay for drinks (including non alcoholic) unless you book all inclusive. Our waiter Hassan was really friendly and made us feel really welcome.

One of the disappointments of the holiday is some of the excursions. This is especially the case for the Diffushi Island Excursion. The excursion was quite expensive and there was very little to see there. During the tour we were shown the outside of a school/medical centre/water cleansing centre/mosque/a few shops. If you are expecting to see art/crafts etc then you won't see anything like that.

We also spent a lot of money on a submarine dive. The submarine dive is run by a third party company. We did not enjoy this either because the submarine dive was 30 minutes. 15 minutes of this time was spent looking into the empty sea because only one half of the submarine faces the corel where the fishes all are. After 15 minutes you are told to swap seats with the people who are sitting on the side of the submarine that is facing the corel.

This submarine excursion also includes a one hour tour in the city Male'. I didn't like this either. The tour guide gave a 20 minute tour around the small fish market/outside of a mosque/a martyr memorial. We spent the remainder of the time in a souvenir shop selected by the tour guide.

The sunset punch cruise was definitely worth it. Although the punch wasn't tasty the actual boat trip was lovely. The sunset was lovely and we managed to see dolphins on several occasions. We also did the glass bottom boat which was really nice.

Our room was nice and we had a lovely view of the sea. The inroom internet comes at a charge of $20 for 2 hours (the 2 hours can be spread throughout the stay). There are also other purchase options.

In general the bed was ok however the bedsheets will only be changed if you request it. The bed is made everyday and the room is cleaned to a good standard. Our room boy Ahmed did a fantastic job of making the bed in different designs. The room comes with two free 2 Litre bottles of water everyday. The bathroom amenities include a bar of soap/shampoo/conditioner/body wash/fresh towels.

The beach was nice however on some parts of the island had a lot of plastic bottles and other trash. I would recommend that anyone who goes snorkeling buy plimsolls to wear in the sea because the seabed has sharp rocks.

Overall, we had a pleasant honeymoon and for the price we paid we definitely got our moneys worth. The mistake we made was trying to tourist activities in a place meant for relaxation. The friendliness of the resort staff made our visit enjoyable. The fabulous meals made our visit that more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Corinne F, Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Kapil,

We sincerely thank you for your review and we are so happy that you had a wonderful honeymoon with us and hope you will never forget this special occasion. Glad to read that you as vegetarians enjoyed the food as well. Sorry that you didn't like the local island excursion, they are small islands and have not so much to offer.
Also sad to read that you didn't like the Submarine, but happy to know that you like the Sunset Cruise and saw dolphins. We will forward your good comments to Ahmed, I am sure he will be happy to hear that. Thank you again for your lovely review and we hope to welcome you to Meeru again.

Warm Regards
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here late August 2012. Speedboat transfer was a novelty in itself for me seeing as it was my first time in the Maldives. The welcome drink and cold cloth was an unexpected nice touch on arrival to the island.
We'd booked a beach villa, but on arrival were offered a free upgrade to a Jacuzzi water villa as our villa 'wasn't ready' (ie people in it?!)-apparently a common practice is to overbook, then try to juggle the guests by trying to get them to go on cruises, thus vacating the rooms for more guests and so on, etc.. Can't say this bothered us as we had a fab upgrade for half our holiday, but if it was vice versa I'd have something to say about it! Through reading reviews on here I think this does happen though I have no idea whether there would be compensation, I don't know the details. Loved the steps down into the sea from the jwv. Beach villa was also nice, though the outdoor bathroom was prone to ants, hotel supplied bug spray. Housekeeping was efficient and polite.
We ate at both buffet restaurants owing to our 2 room locations, both equally as nice. Food was really lovely, plenty of choice, well cooked and non-repetitive. Sneaky glass of champers with Sunday brekkie too! Also tried the Asian Wok and Hot Rock restaurants, loved both though the Wok was the favourite, def worth a try. Limited choice of AI cocktails throughout the resort in my opinion though.
Loads of excursions possible but we chose only 2, the sunset cruise (free of charge AI) and the submarine trip + Male tour. Slightly disappointed as the tour guide was intent on taking us to souvenir shops that he seemed to own instead of showing us any true sights of the capital, suppose this is the norm in mass tourism these days?
Plenty of activities available - gym, pool, table tennis, darts, draughts, chess, cards, football, windsurfing, catamaran ride, kayaking, snorkelling, diving school plus some talks in the evening about marine life and local conservation - actually very interesting. AI gets you a free back massage in one of the spas. We opted for the over-water spa and really enjoyed watching the fish as the magic hands did their thing! Nice touch having the refreshing ginger and lemongrass tea afterwards too. We did a lot of snorkelling as we had our own stuff, but there's plenty of kit to rent including underwater camera. Only problem we found was the current - vv strong in places, worryingly strong in fact. I found myself in a spot of bother on one occasion as I seemed to be being pulled out to sea - coupled with the fact that there are no lifeguards at all, this must be a concern for people regardless of swimming ability. However don't let this put you off. If you make sure you're in a safe area and confident of the conditions, the snorkelling is amazing, well worth it.
Evening entertainment was ok, mixture of things from talks (see above) to music, dance and crab racing! But this seemed to suit the overall laid-back attitude of the island. It wasn't the type of place where you just park yourself in a seat, drink loads and watch some half-hearted entertainer do his thing, very much an entertain yourself kinda place I thought. We were happy just to walk round the island and grounds taking in the scenery, popping in to the bars for a swift refresher every now and then.
Overall I cannot recommend this enough! Yes, it was my first time to the Maldives, and yes, there are probably far more luxurious resorts to visit, but seriously consider this if you want your very own slice of paradise for a not-too-extortionate price. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DifferentJen,

The whole Meeru Team thanks you so much for your wonderful review and for your description from you holiday last year.
The overbooking can be a problem, but many Guest get a great upgrade and as you, they like that a lot. Some are less luck, but everyone get's a good and far compensation, we hope all Guests think that as well. We also think our Chef's prepare lovely meals and there is something for everyone. The Sunset Cruise is wonderful, hope you saw many dolphins. We are happy that you tried the Hot Rock and Asian Wok, they are both fabulous restaurants at a amazing location. Sorry that you didn't like the submarine excursion. Meeru is a big enough Island and there is lot's to do for everyone, so after the good food you can all worked it off with different activities. Also the Spa is such a special experience and everyone should try it.
The evenings have also somethings to offer, so if you don't feel like to stay in the room you can always go out and enjoy a show or some music. We are so happy that you enjoy your holiday and that you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon

Meeru Management

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!