“Paradise on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
Glasgow,Scotland
“Paradise on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We went to the Maldives for our joint 50th Birthdays, settled on Meeru Island Resort.......absolutely amazing, when we arrived my husband summed it up as like arriving on a bounty tv advert!
Staff were wonderful, could not do enough for us, even when we had the issue of ants in our bathroom (and this does happen) they came re-sprayed the area and left a can of the spray for us (i would recommend asking for one of these sprays when you arrive and spray the outdoor bathroom nightly).
Entertainment was good, especially the accoustic group..and the disco on Sat nights was such a laugh!
We upgraded toa Jaccuzi Beach Villa-fantastic, 10 steps to our own little part of the beach.
Food was excellent, very varied, something for everyone.
We thought this would be the holiday of a lifetime...we were wrong..planning to go back, hopefully this year???
Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: we were on the same side of the island as reception etc, Room 107 and would recommend this as there...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Meeru is amazing!! I went out there for Christmas and it was perfect!The food was exceptional, the staff were so friendly and the Island itself was beautiful. My boyfriend and I stayed in a jacuzzi beach villa and it was wonderful.You can spend the whole time by the pool and on the beach relaxing or you can snorkle off the Island's reef, scuba dive, go on trips to Male, take a sea plane ride, play golf on the driving range, there was so much to do! I massively recommend hiring a snorkle out there for about 8 dollars a day and just snorkle by the shores as the water is so clear it's unbelievable and you see so many fish and baby sharks. I also recommend going to the 'over the water spa'..as it's so relaxing and paying extra for a meal at the Asian Wok, the staff there were so attentive and the food was outstanding! Words really can't describe this holiday...you have to see it and experience it for yourself :) just perfect!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012 via mobile

We first visited Meeru four years ago. That was a fabulous first experience of the island and staff.

We got back from the island yesterday, and overall have good memories from our second stay.

The positives. Still excellent food. The location is perfect for relaxing. The rooms are beginning to look a little tired (we were in the 200's), but were still clean and perfectly located next to the beach. Unfortunately we needed the services of the doctor during our stay twice. He was excellent and gave good advice and service.

On the negatives. We spotted quite a few rats at night near the pavilion bar. This freaked out a few of the ladies, but they didn't spoil things too much! The island are trying to deal with the rats by the very visible traps within the bush areas.

We visited the Spa for massage. We were convinced to book at a discount a series of massages. Unfortunately the receptionist mis calculated the amount due. This originally was in our favour by a few dollars,but was altered without our knowledge to the correct amount. When I was asked to clear some of the bill midway through our stay, I was sure the amount had changed. Sure enough when the handwritten bill was checked, they had clearly altered it. All I got at that point was that the amount initially charged was incorrect. Now although that was strictly true, all I was after at that point was an apology for not informing me of the error. This is where the lesson for everybody else comes in. There was no apology forthcoming from anybody until I raised this to director level at the resort. This took various visits to the reception and spa to sort out. I found this really disappointing from somewhere that service appears to mean a lot. I took this as showing they care a little bit too much about the money and less about the guests.

Children. On our previous visit, there were very few children and that both suited us and in all honesty suits the island. There is nothing for children at Meeru other than building sandcastles or swimming in the pool/sea. The problem on this occasion was that there were too many young children with parents who appeared more bothered about their own enjoyment and relaxation time and not caring for the children. The end result was scenes more resembling a crèche, than a quiet resort! These comments may not suit the parents of young children who plan to visit Meeru. However, some careful thought is required not only for their expectations of a quiet holiday, but also of other guests.

The final point I will add is that disappointingly First Choice has dropped for 2013 the direct Manchester to Male flight. That appears strange on the face of it as our flights were full both directions. Perhaps they are sending the message that people north of Watford are not particularly welcome next year in Meeru!

Whether or not we ever go back to Meeru, it will always be remembered as a fabulous place and worthy of high regard.

• Stayed January 2012
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

9 days in a water villa...very nice room, I would recommand it.
Excellent food, lots of choices, very good quality....very nice! try the conge for breakfast with the peanuts and coriander...delicicious...

We took the all inclusive and it was worth it.
We only took some extra wine and cocktails at the end but during our stay the all inclusive was suffisant for the choices etc.

The positive points: the room, the food, the snorkkeling, the spa (bliss.....), the full moon dinner organised on the beach as an extra (the tuna is amazing!)

The negative points: the rats, the animations and some of the oceanpro instructors for the scuba diving (when you go back on the boat the less you expect is that your instructor is speaking to you...and ask you how it was....looks like some of the instructors over there can NOT speak and this is defintely something I did not appreciate)

we would not go back there and would try a smaller island...

Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed at the Meeru over the New Year, Wow what a place,although we had not realised the Island has an over booking policy, so when we arrived they told us we had no room, we had a choice of going to another Island which was far more basic for the night, or too spend 2 nights on a sailing boat. After being very cross and tired we chose to go on the boat.

Well what a decision! it was fantastic, the crew could not of been more pleasant, and helpful, we snorkelled , fished, swan with the Manta rays, saw turtles, sharks and hundreds of dolphins.
The Captain set sail hard and fast and the dolphins swam and played along side the boat. It was an amazing adventure and would recommend it too anyone. We found out you cannot do the whole of this 2 day trip even if you pay for it on the island, we worked out we probably saved in excess of $2000, why may you ask, well the trip was so good after 2 days on land we did it again on another boat called Gumafulu. We got all our upgrades has they promised, All inclusive plus, candlelite dinner for 2, and upgraded room, we got an extra candlelite dinner for going out on the boat a second time, and had a choice of rooms when we came back.

All i can say is this is a chilled out special place.However i do agree with another visitor, the rats at night can be alittle of putting.
I never saw them in the bar areas, and they did try keep the numbers down,biut as my husband pointed out they are more frightened of us, than we are of them.

I would return tommorrrow if i could.

Room Tip: The north of the island is great if you want a kid free holiday. The Malan restaurant was ace. Jacu...
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We booked our holiday over a year ago on the spur of the moment whilst Christmas shopping in 2010 so this was a long time coming for us and we were both my husband and I were very excited.
Obviously when you think of the Maldives all sorts of pictures of paradise spring to mind, and I can honestly say that it didn't disappoint.
On arriving at Male airport, we were met by the Thomson/first choice rep who led us to a counter and introduced us to Angelo, our resort rep. He was larger than life giving us a very warm and friendly welcome. We were told that we needed to wait a while and would then be shown to the boat which would take us to the island. We didn't have to wait very long and Angelo led us onto a boat which I must be honest, didn't live up to it's name of 'speedboat'. it was more like a smaller version of a noisy and not too comfortable ferry but we were so tired after the long journey that quite frankly I am not sure that James Bond's boat would have impressed me! ( just a quick word at this point about the flight - I must say that Thomson did us proud with the extra leg roonm seats and the meals were good....cabin crew a bit miserable though....note to Thomson, prep talk to staff please for the customers enjoyment! )
On arrival at the report I was breathtaken! The sea was crystal clear, the weather very hot and sunny and the welcome including cocktails went down a treat.
We collected our keys and received information regarding the welcome meeting and then taken with our luggage via little golf type buggy to our villa.
Initially I was sort of disappointed as first choice had told us that we would be in the North of the island when in fact we weren't placed there at all, but I have to say that the villa we were given was perfect. Room 204, just a 150 yards to the sea with perfect views of palm trees and the magical wildlife to be found on this wonderful island.
I don't want to make this review longer than necessary so I will cut to the highlights as far as I anm concerned.
First and foremost the people are fantastic! Please look out for Ismail, our wonderful waiter in the restaurant who I wanted to bring home with me! He was a darling and we both grew very fond of him. Sayeed in the Dhoni bar...sense of humour is fantastic and he remembers your name and fav drink from the first meeting. Rashid, who cleaned our room and made sure that the mini bar was well stocked, was a joy!
The spa treatments are out of this world....we experienced lots of treatments but the best one by far is the magic moon treatment in the over the water spa which concludes sitting in a jaquzzi overlooking the ocean sipping champagne. Heaven, and very romantic!
We went on the love boat cruise and I snorkelled in the amazing sea seeing some of the best views of the underwater world that you could wish for. The sunset cruise was fab and it was rounded off well by seeing about 30 young dolphins playing by our boat!
The food was AMAZING! In fact be warned as I put on half a stone in 2 weeks it was that good!
My husband and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and we booked a romantic candlelit meal on the beach where I was given the most beautiful eternity ring purchased in the island's jewellers called Sifani which also has a store in London. My husband assures me that he managed to get a very good deal with the manager. Well worth looking at if you are after something special for your loved one.
The Asian Wok also served wonderful food, although this and the beach dinner were extra and not part of your all inclusive package.
The best entertainment I have ever heard was from a band called Steelplay and they were out of this world, playing a vast selection of music to suit everyone...we were all dancing on the sand until the early hours.
The pools were both great. Our nearest one wasn't the infinity pool but I didn't mind that as it felt a bit cooler than our one.
We did get a couple of days where it rained but that is unusual for January and didn't take away any of the enjoyment at all.
I would recommend this report 100% and would not hesitate to return. ( Again another note on the flight back - took 2 hours longer to get home and they ran out of most things such as duty free, snacks and drinks. Also two of the toilets on board were not working. Bit of anj anti climax after such a great holiday. Again, note to first choice - keep the customer happy and they will comne back for more! )
Although there were a couple of kids there, my own opinion is that the resort doesn't reallt cater for kids and there is little for them to do save swimming as all the excertions are adult orientated.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 200's were great......these were beach villas.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

stayed in water villas and must admit it was a good decision.All resort was clean,quiet and safe.Food was amazing and always something new to choose.Went for a treatment in Spa and enjoyed totaly....thanks Meeru for our best holiday ever

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!