“A wonderful surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“A wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

After checking out a Cuban place in Providence, RI I did not have high hopes for this place. Boy was I wrong. This place is wonderful. The beef empanada appetizers were just as if they had been made in Latin America. They were well seasoned and cooked perfectly. A steal at $1.50 each...
The main dish of Vaca Frita (shredded fried beef with onions) was excellent. The side of plantains and yuca were splendid. This is a hidden gem. Hopefully, more Rhode Islanders will discover this place and take the short drive up route 1. A+ service. I cant wait to go back.

• Visited September 2011

Providence, Rhode Island
“Authentic dishes, great service, makes you feel at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We were recommended this place by a friend, I was a bit skeptical as it seemed small and we were the only ones there. But once we sat down it was a great experience. It is a family run business where everyone helps out and makes great conversation. The menu is small but covers all kinds of meats,seafood,veggies. I had a Cuban sandwich, it was amazing! huge and tasted sooo fresh, served with potato chips. My husband had the "ropa vieja" (shredded roast in a nice sauce served with white rice,black beans and yucca) It also was very delicious and filling. The owners, a lovely older couple, are also the cooks and make everything from scratch and you can tell each meal is made with love with fresh ingredients. They were awesome and sat and talked with us for hours about their homeland and cuisine. I have heard it gets pretty packed on the weekends and people wait to get in, I can see why it is so worth it! They even have a kids menu for those picky eaters, like mine who will only eat fries and chicken nuggets. Also the portions are huge! Again I will mention the place has about 10 mid-size or two seater tables. Also a nice small bar area and great Latin music playing! If you like Latin food I definitely recommend this place.

• Visited August 2011
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Cuban Food--Aholic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I need to go to "vaca frita anonymous"!!!!

If you're not in the area--get there!!! I definitely recommend that you order: Vaca Frita, White Rice & Black Beans, and of course Platanos Maduros (Sweet Planatains). I promise your mouth and stomach will NOT be disappointed!!!

I recently moved up here from Miami (I'm Cuban!)... and I thought, "Where in the world am I going to get myself the best authentic Cuban food in MASSACHUSETTS!".... I started panicking until I found this little Mom & Pop place.... honestly it's just like being home--so I don't get as homesick anymore.

The atmosphere is welcoming and cozy... great Spanish background music, great tasting food that looks and smells great, and great prices.

I've been there when they have been SOOO crowded with people--- i'm talking about standing outside in lines just for a taste, and i've even seen the place with just a few people.... So get there early!!!!

But during slow hours I've met the chef/owner...

The owners will come out when it's not so busy and talk to her clients..I see that her regulars are like family to the owners... they welcome them with warm hugs and kisses and you know something, that really does make me feel like I'm home.. it's really great seeing that kind of care and passion at a business now-a-days...

• Visited December 2010
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem in Massachusetts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I highly recommend Vaca Frita and Cafe Con Leche, it's life changing. Well, maybe not life changing, but it is my favorite meal ever now. Now they are having a weekly domino night, that has me returning for great food and a great time.

• Visited January 2011
Plainville, Massachusetts
“Unbelievable!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

If you are not looking for this place you will never find it. We came across it about 6 months ago and have not had a bad meal each time we go there. It is family owned and meals are cooked to order. The sangria and chocolate mint mojitos are a must! The shrimp have so much flavor and I love them served in the garlic butter. The meat is also really tender and full of flavor. Can not go wrong with the plantains (sweet), rice and bean and yucca. Also would recommend starting off with the tamales and empandas.

Also don't plan on going late as they close at 9PM on the weekends and 7PM most weeknights. But you can always call on your way home and get a meal to go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere