“Fond memory” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Coventry, Rhode Island
“Fond memory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was referred to Porches by a friend. What a great spot in a so-so location. It is in North Adams, MA. Stopped there heading home from the Berkshires. We stayed in a suite and since it was the summertime, we were able to get a deal on this. Nice king bed, stocked mini-bar, sofa with pull-out bed, and modern bathroom. It was right across the street from the Mass MOCA which is a must-see. Also, there were some decent restaurants in town. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We came for my husband's college reunion for Williams and I was not up for staying in the dorm. However, I am usually at hater of bed and breakfast type places because to me the words quaint and charming typically mean there is an old lady who runs the place that can't keep up with it and I can expect a room that smells like someone else's perfume and is a little rough around the edges. I was extremely pleased with this hotel - it was perfectly clean and had amazing customer service. The suite we had was quaint and charming but it also had first class bedding and the bed was nice and firm (it was not like most b&bs where it feels like the bed is 50 years old). The bathroom was very modern and I loved the big tub and was elated when I was wishing for bath salts and found them in the room. This is a quaint, beautiful and romantic spot and that is not code for tired and dingy. I really like it!

Room Tip: I really liked our suite on the second floor facing Mass MOCA. I am sure all the rooms are nice as...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a wonderful, charming spot to lay your head when you find yourself in this town. We came to do a show at Mass MoCa, and this hotel is just across the river. It feels like you're staying at a NICE relative's home. The hotel is actually a row of individual houses which have been renovated to perfection, and as the name states....each room has it's own charming porch with table & chairs. My porch overlooks the gorgeous heated natural stone pool & spa. I am staying in the "yellow" house which is also where reception, dining room, living room with fireplace are located. I woke this morning to the smell of fresh brewed coffee & baked goods wafting up the open staircase to my room. WHAT A WAY TO WAKEUP...it was amazing!! The staff is friendly, helpful and a delight to deal with.

Room Tip: I like the top floor to the back because it overlooks the back garden, pool & spa....VERY QUIET
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for 3 nights. What a cool place! After only a day, we felt like we lived there. We stayed in a King room with a porch. Since we lucked out with beautiful weather, we were able to enjoy the outside spaces quite a bit. The room was very large and included a seating area for two. The hotel carries a large DVD library and there was a TV and DVD player in our room, but the TV was very small. However, the WiFi was good enough to stream Netflix without any problems.

The bathroom in our room was outrageous. Huge! There was a freestanding claw foot tub and a separate shower. Nice soap and shampoo. Bathroom also had robes and a hair dryer. The hot water took a few minutes to get going, but was plenty hot once it did.

The décor is eclectic - overall, the place kind of feels like staying in your aunt's arty, homey, country farmhouse. There are a couple of living rooms in the main house with leather furniture, books and a fireplace. They also do a pop-up bar in the lobby area after 3:00 PM - and you can drink anywhere you want, including the main front porch and the pool area (just no glass at the pool.) There is a resident kitty, Sabine, who pretty much keeps to herself but if you're friendly to her, she'll come over to visit you. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating and they were very helpful with local recommendations of things to do and places to eat.

The outdoor pool and hot tub are open 24 hours a day, and the pool is heated. (It's a shallow pool, maxing out at around 4 feet.)

Breakfast is included, and is served in the breakfast room in the main house or you can have it brought to your room. It's a pretty good spread including yogurt, cereal, granola, cheese, breads, muffins and pastries, several kinds of juice, coffee. (The cheese and artisan bread are really yummy!)

The hotel is located across the street from MassMOCA and you can also walk to the downtown area.

Overall, it's a very welcoming place that encourages you to "come as you are" and offers plenty of inside and outside places to just chill out. We are looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Porches Inn on two weekday nights in mid-May. We paid $180 for a one-bedroom suite, including breakfast. At this price, we could not have expected more.

First, the high point. The inn could not have been any closer to MASS MoCA. It's almost as near to the entrance of the museum as the MASS MoCA parking lot!

Other aspects of our stay were, for the most part, ordinary. The rooms have been described as "funky," but I would rather call them somewhat rural in tone. Others have said the amenities are "upscale," but I think that's an overstatement. The room was comfortably sized and appointed and there were some amenities, such as bath robes hanging in the bathroom and turn-down service that left chocolates at the bedside. We did not use the pool or the exercise room, but both looked above average. The TV in the bedroom was smaller than I would expect to find in most hotels and inns and there was no TV in the living room..

We had read on TripAdvisor that the floors were noisy if there were guests in the room above you. So, upon reservation we asked a second floor room if one was available. We received a polite response saying that our request could be accommodated. We were indeed given a second floor room, which was quiet.

Our one negative experience had to do with maintenance. I noticed that the hot-water valve on our bathroom sink leaked when we used the hot water. I notified the front desk in the morning, but was told that the maintenance person did not work on that day and any repairs would most likely have to wait until we left. This was not a significant problem from our perspective, but it is noteworthy. I had the impression that had the problem been more severe, they would have called someone in to fix it.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and felt that we received excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for a second-floor room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Yes indeed, we are very closed to Mass MoCA and North Adams downtown. Everything is within the walking distance. Pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness room; all are open 24/7.
I am very sorry to hear that your maintenance issue was not fixed as soon as you reported. Our maintenance department responds any unexpected issues any time of the day. I truly apologize for it.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Best,

Mel@Porches
Milford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had a reservation bookesd here. My event in town at a local restaurant was cancelled so i tried to cancel my room and they said they have to keep $145.21 of my money. This is extremely poor customer service and i will never attempt to stay there again. I would rather drive farther to another place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We wish that you had chance to stay with us. We apologize that you were penalized for cancelling your reservation within the seven days of your arrival date. All of our guests receive this information at the time of booking.

Hope you give us another chance.

Best,

Mel@Porches
Topsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Porches is a series of renovated old mill row houses directly across from Mass MoCA and within 10 miles of charming Williamstown and Adams. Funky, artsy, comfortable rooms with plenty of space and fully appointed. Bath robes hanging in the bathroom, DVDs, tea, and cookies at the front desk, beautiful outdoor pool, sauna, and hot tub available 24 hours, and hearty breakfast included. Cosy common room with reading material and fire on chilly days. Front desk staff knowledgeable about area with recommendations for restaurants, etc.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA? Share your experiences!