“Clean and Contemporary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Newton
Pittsburgh
“Clean and Contemporary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was traveling for business and stayed at Hotel Indigo. The staff is what makes this place. They are so friendly and accommodating. I called several times (a few times to reserve the shuttle, once to find the vending machine, once to let them know I ordered Chinese and they could call me when it came, etc.). They were always professional and helpful. Speaking of the shuttle service, it was wonderful. It wasn't always available as a lot of guests use it, but Edgar, the driver was amazing. He was friendly and accommodating and would do whatever he could to try to adjust to your schedule. I noticed not everyone tipped him, so I just want to remind travelers that even though the hotel provides this service, the driver should still get a little something.

The rooms were a little small, but very modern and clean. I ordered room service from the restaurant one evening and the food was delicious and large portions were served.

People are correct that there isn't a lot you can reach on foot around the hotel. I mostly used the shuttle and the subway, which was next door.

Overall, a great place and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager21, Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
kmarie108,

Great review! Appreiciate your kind comment. I will pass them along to the team. Come back soon. The outdoor pool is now open!!

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We arrived at the Hotel Indigo after 9pm. My mother, 2 kids, and I were very tired and pretty cranky....The room was small but comfortable. When I went into the bathroom to get ready for bed, I unexpectedly got locked in. 45 minutes later.....the maintenance man kicked the door down after trying every alternative. He was deeply apologetic and already had the front desk ready with a room right across the hall, carrying all of our belongings for us. They gave us free breakfast the next morning - which turned out to be one of the best breakfasts I have ever had in my life. I am very much into food and that is a bold statement for me to make. Checkin and out was seamless and for the price we paid for the room and breakfast, it was an amazing value. Less the unexpected bathroom door issue, it was perfect.

CarmellaD...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and I am so sorry about the bathroom door lock. I am glad our Maintenance and Front Desk staff recoverd so well from the incident and you are more than kind to give us a shout out! Please contact me the next time you return, I would like to do something special for you. Glad you loved the breakfast. Our culinary team rocks! Take care and thanks again.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I recently took my daughter and friend for quick overnight during April school vacation. I had wanted to try the Hotel Indigo as I had been to the property in the past before its takeover and renovations. I knew it had a well-equipped outside pool area, but did not know what else the property had to offer. While the rooms were very tight, the were nicely remodeled with some high end features and fixtures. I had been looking forward to soaking in a tub but was told no rooms have tubs. This would definitely be a problem for families with small children. In addition, there were some inconveniences (one and only ice machine located in the basement, no children’s menu and limited community space for children. There was also a flyer in the room announcing a “dinner and movie” special which offered fried chicken basket. When I called to order this they said the flyer was old and they do not make friend chicken. Overall, I would only go back in the summer when the pool is open otherwise, it felt quite restrictive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager21, Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
leighcarmen...

Appreciate the follow up review. I will speak to the Chef and improve communication regarding our room service offers. It is interesting that we only have shower units. Majority of guest are good with it, but I can see your point. The only guestroom im the hotel with a bathtub is the Nautical Suite. It has both. Thanks for the feedback.

Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed at this Hotel Indigo many times for work over the past few years.
The hotel is conveniently located and is very easy to get a cab or shuttle to the office. The staff is friendly and welcoming at the front desk. A few times when I have checked in they had a wheel in the lobby that you can spin to win prizes such as a free drink or bottled water. The restaurant downstairs is nice and always has a good crowd. The food and drinks are good and the prices are reasonable. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The bathroom lighting could be better. It is dark which makes it hard to put makeup on. Overall I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
saravmac...

Thank you so much for your wonderfull review. So glad you enjoy staying with us on businees when in the area. BOKX 109 is a great restaruant as you point out. Our awesome outdoor pool with cabanas and firepits opens on May 17, spread the work. Thanks Again!!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

CONS:

OK. Stayed at Hotel Indigo last night (checked in at the Doubletree across from Cambridge since I checked out of Indigo after just one night). Did my research and thought "the rooms can't be as noisy as the other reviewers have written"....well, guess what. I was wrong. The HVAC was so loud it was as if some Hidden Camera show was taping me trying to sleep. About once every 40 minutes or so thru the night (until I smartened up and shut the thing off) the HVAC would SCREAM. I am not exaggerating. It would build up to this crazy crescendo of noise. In the morning I went down to the front desk to say my coffee maker was not working ("oh, they are finicky") and also mentioned about the ridiculously noisy HVAC. The nice person at the front desk said "Yes. They can be noisy when we begin the change from heating to cooling". OK. Nice try. There is no logic to this. The hotel sprung the money for cheap HVAC and I am guessing they don't want to pay to fix every HVAC unit in the place. So instead they blame it on seasonality.

Wear your shin guards. The "hip" styling of the room includes wooden bed frames that stick out
beyond the mattress. So when you are not paying attention (or jumping out of your bed to try
to shut up the noisy HVAC) you will for sure hit your shin against the bed frame.

And probably you will do this because the room is packed with "hipness" that takes up space and
leaves very, very little navigable walking room.

Slow service at the breakfast restaurant. And I had to eat at the bar. Don't like to start my day staring at fingerprinted liquor bottles and under three giant TV screens all playing different
stations but only one with the sound turned up. Can't we just have a few normal tables?

Bed linens. They looked super comfortable and for some travelers I bet they are comfortable. But oddly once I got into the bed I found the linens seemed to make it hard to move easily in the
bed.

Early morning coffee station. This is a business traveler place and with the "finicky" room
coffee makers why not have a coffee place on the restaurant floor for the early risers.
Intercontinental Hotels seems to be responding to Starwood Hotels Aloft brand with Hotel Indigo and while the Aloft is far from perfect they do seem to understand biz travelers like to get things done early in the morning with the least amount of hassle. Aloft places have a great little
snack and beverage center I like when I stay at Aloft.

PROS:

Clean. I think they have the clean idea down really well.

Bathroom: Liked the bathroom (hardly any shelf space unfortunately) but
the shower was clean and the water hot and the shower door swung in and
out which is a nice touch.

Staff: I thought the staff was responsive. I almost felt sorry for them when they
had to hear from me...like I am sure they have heard from others....about the
noisy HVAC. But restaurant staff was nice and the front desk people friendly.

Location: Right near 90 and 128

Food: I only had breakfast but it was well prepared and tasted great. Good coffee.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Jim F,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am sincerely sorry that on this visit you were disappointed with the condition of the room you were given, particularly with the issues with the HVAC system and service at the restaurant. I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances as this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Again, thanks for the candid review and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wellesley, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Don't be fooled by the veneer of "boutique" and "hipness", this hotel is basically a cheaply operated property in a glossy wrapping. Tiny rooms, HVAC in the room never worked correctly, towels were like sandpaper. On the plus side beds were comfortable. Overall, disappointing. I wanted a suburban "W" but got a urban Days Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager21, Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
William W...

Appreciate the reveiw and apologies that the HVAC unit in room was loud. We will investigate. Thanks again.
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was tempted to give 2 stars. The hotel was conveniently located, nicely decorated, and the beds were nice. The comforters were among the nicest that I used. Staff were nice as well. The thing I couldn't stand was the noise from the heaters in the room. It was so loud that it sounded as if there is a motorcycle in the room. If they fix the HVAC system, I wouldn't have any problem recommending the hotel.

alshin...

Second review in a row regarding noisy HVAC unit. I have my engineer investigating as we speak. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Manager

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!