“Very pleased in light of the lukewarm reviews!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
West Hartford, CT
“Very pleased in light of the lukewarm reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We did win this hotel on Priceline and got a terrific deal. In addition, we were NOt charged the nine dollars for parking, quite a perk! Anyhow, the front desk staff were congenial and helpful answering questions. The room were extremely comfortable; wonderful mattresses and thick pillows made for a sound night's sleep. The indoor pool was sparkling clean and spacious; it also lacked the heavy duty chlorine smell that characterizes many indoor hotel pools. Lobby and decor very tasteful and clean. My only criticism of the place is that the breakfast is way, way overpriced and so we had to decline and drove a few miles into Newton Center to eat at the fabulous Johnny's Luncheonette -- don't miss it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our updated indoor pool and our helpful front desk staff. We look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Thomas McKenney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

This is a tricky one for me to review as my trip itself was hugely frustrating, but it was work and not the hotel that caused this.

As the hotel goes, its pretty nice - sure it looks awful from the outside but once you get in then it's not all that bad - the room I had was nice (a double double for one? I'll have to thank work for that), the beds were a bit too soft for my liking (to the point that my back was aching, laying on your side isn't something I'd recommend) but they were comfy I guess, and had very nice bed clothes.

The curtains were brilliant, I don't know about you, but it has to be pitch black when I sleep, and these were perfect for doing that. The writing desk was nice, as was the chair - you could easily use a laptop with a mouse on it - it's a shame that the internet was Wireless only though.

The bathroom was absolutely fine - nice big mirror which was well lit. The shower was something you looked forward to getting under in the morning. A huge downside for me was that there was no shaving mirror and the main mirror wasn't self clearing - this is a huge pet peeve of mine and really isn't good enough.

This brings me round to the list of things that I thought weren't good enough:

The internet - you have to pay, and pay through the nose ($12.30 for 24 hours) - come on guys, this should be free for basic access, charge for high speed if you want.

Food - I found this a bit hit and miss, some was good, some was bad, ironically the good came in portions that were too small (even by my Euro standards) and there was far too much of the bad. It was also bloody expensive and a very limited menu. The irony was that the room service menu had a huge variety, but the one time I gave this a go I was told it would take 45 mins to arrive - 1hr15mins later it turned up and it was cold - I got it refunded but when I came to check out it was still on the bill - luckily they removed it again but my main gripe is what happened when they removed it beforehand?

Facilities - The 'Business Centre' is a joke - only 3 computers in a very small room

The Gym - That needs updating - all thr equipment is there it just seems unloved.

Location - It's in the middle of suburban america, it's a nice setting but you are screwed if you don't have a car (which btw, you'll have to pay to park EVERY DAY!)

Based on all of that, would I go there again? No, I'd go to the Indigo which is about 10 mins away - and it's much better located (5 or 10 mins walk from the train station), has better rooms, free internet and a better menu. I know this because I went and had a look at a room and ate in the restaurant. Sure it's a little more expensive (but only by $10 or so a night) but it is well worth it. All I have to do is make my company understand that next time :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Thank you for staying at our property. We were happy to read that you enjoyed our updated guest room. We do have both wired and wireless internet access available in the hotel. We appreciate your feedback.

Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I was dropping my child at Boston College. Rather than stay in downtown Boston, I thought I would give this a try as it is near BC (and less expensive but certainly not cheap at $200+ per night).

The whole place smelled. Our room had to be switched a few hours after check in. Even the bellman who came to help us move bags agreed that it smelled horrible (a sewage type of smell). The new room merely smelled like mildew.

The food was basically industrial catering fare: similar to a school or hospital. And again, I get that this is not the Four Seasons, but I was really disappointed.

I had also sent four small boxes. It took "security" hours to find them. Huh? I had them marked with "Hold for date of arrival," my name, and my reservation number." This should not have been a problem.

As I embark on a 4 year journey of visiting BC, it is too bad that I will not try the Newton Marriot again. I would rather pay another $150 a night for a consistent experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Maine9, management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Dear BC Parent,
We are very sorry to read that you did not have a satisfactory experience at our hotel. We work very hard to provide a great guest experience. We are constantly working to make improvements to the hotel. We are in the process of upgrading all of our televisions, furniture and high speed internet. We hope that you will try us again in the future. Please contact me if I may be of assistance in the future.

Plattsburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed there for three nights. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle bus to nearby T-station (Riverside) so we parked our car at our hotel ($9/day) and took T to go to the center of Boston. On the way back, we noticed that there weren't many taxis at the Riverside Station at that time (since there was no shuttle service available that late). However, when we called our hotel, they were nice enough to send a taxi to the Riverside station for us. It's about $5 to $6 for the approx. 10min ride to hotel from the station.

Our room was very clean. In the bathroom, a small bottle of Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy shampoo, conditioner and body lotion (Orange Ginger scent ) is provided to the guests.

The hotel room came with a package of complimentary tea (English Breakfast & Chamomile). However, the day 2, the hotel maid did not leave any after she cleaned our room so at night I had to ask the friendly front desk staff to give us some tea bags.

We liked this hotel & will use it again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine9, Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Thank you for your positive comments. We are very glad complimentary shuttle service to the T station and the amenities in the room. We look forward to your return visit to the hotel.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I was booked into this hotel by my secretary and noticed a previous review about someones bad experience getting coffee. I was a little taken aback by the comments but since I was booked, I decided to go. I'm very glad I did! The staff was amazing, the rooms were very large and fresh, and the reatsurant (while busy) has awesome service and great food. I will be coming to town regularly and will now stay at this hotel exclusively. I'm not sure what this ither person was thinking about but it certainly wasn't THIS Marriott!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
Thank you so much for sharing your positive comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your positive experience with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.

Thomas M. McKenney
eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

The hotel itself is old, but it has been fixed up and is reasonably nice on the inside. Parking and internet costs extra. Great fitness room and small pool. Bar served good food. Shuttle to and from metro station was very handy. Located right next to two freeways, which was very convenient.

Service was inconsistent. When I entered the hotel, an employee was there to greet me, asked me my name, and handed me the key and I was on my way. That was great. On the first morning, I received the WSJ and the USA Today (my Marriot profile asks for the WSJ). On the second day, only the USA Today, and on the third morning, no paper at all. One of those mornings I asked at the front desk if they had any WSJs and they told me I had to go buy one. They advertise that they have running routes mapped out and available to guests, but when I asked at the front desk the employee couldn't produce a map or help me out at all.

They need to be a bit more careful with their maintenance. My room was conveniently located by a stairwell that exited outside, but every time I used this exit the door would not close all the way, allowing someone without a key to easily sneak into the hotel. Not very secure.

There are a lot of other choices in the area, so next time I'm there I'll try another place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Boston Newton Marriott. We are pleased that you enjoyed our fitness room and the convenience of our complimentary shuttle service. We are very sorry that your paper delivery was inconsistent. We will review this and your other comments with our staff so that we may improve upon your experience in the future. We are in the process of making many improvements to our property which include new flat screen televisions and wireless internet. We hope that you will stay with us again in the near future. Please contact us prior to your arrival so that we may insure a great experience.
Worcester, ma.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I was pleasant surprised by a recent trip we made to the Newton Marriot. The room was great , the bedding was fantastic and luxurious. The room had adequate towles ect and a rainfall shower- it was clean and everything worked. My daughter enjoyed the pool and exercise room both of which were well equipped and the pool staffed by an attendant.
Again - the hot tub, sauna,, and all the machines appeared to work. Staff were friendly and accomodating. no frigde or mini-bar.The hotel restaurant was expensive but was less than the restaurant Skipjack which they reccommended. The map they gave us was also hard to follow and off scale. There was also a coincerge floor where we had a full breakfast for free in the morning . overall we were quite happy in contrast to other reviewers -also we did not pay for parking and were not charged.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, September 3, 2009
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are continuously improving our property and working to provide the best possible guest experience.

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!