“A Great Breakfast Place, and it doesn't even have "diner" in the name.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Knotty Pine Restaurant

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A Great Breakfast Place, and it doesn't even have "diner" in the name.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I was staying at the Indigo across 95 in Newton and asked them for a good breakfast place. They didn't even need to think before they said "go to the Knotty Pine". It's a nondescript entrance so you need to make sure you find the restaurant name so you know where to go. Luckily it's at the end of the block. It was the perfect place on a 12 degree morning - warm, friendly and smelling like breakfast and fresh coffee.

There are about 9-10 booths or tables along a narrow floor, and about 10-12 seats at the counter. I sat at the counter and had a "good morning, coffee?" and copy of the Boston Herald within 30 seconds. The menu has all the requisite breakfast dished you's want, eggs, homefries, hotcakes, oatmeal, French Toast, etc. I had an onion/pepper omelet cooked the way I like it - no runny eggs, potatoes and toast. The food was excellent and when they learned I was from Pittsburgh and had grown up in NY, I was given the appropriate razzing and poured more coffee.

I enjoyed it so much, and didn't need to eat again until that night, that I regretted they aren't open Sundays. If "Cheers" had been in a diner instead of a bar, it would have been here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere