“The most perfect sushi place in ALL OF AMERICA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oishii Sushi Bar

Oishii Sushi Bar
612 Hammond St, This Address Is Actually in the Town of Brookline, Newton, MA 02467-2101
617-277-7888
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 203 Restaurants in Newton
CO
“The most perfect sushi place in ALL OF AMERICA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Well, I wish I could tell you that I've been to EVERY sushi place in America, but after eating at Oishii, I'd be hard-pressed to find any place better. Even during my visit to Japan, I didn't feel as though the sushi I had there was all that much better than what is offered at Oishii. This place DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT! I've been here many times, and - living in land-locked Boulder, CO - make it a point to come here every time I visit Boston!

Oishii (which means "delicious") offers a variety of different appetizers, from salads to sushi-esque creations. I highly recommend the torched uni-ika with oba, and the eggplant salad! So delicious! As far as the sushi itself, this is the only place I've been to with baby hamachi, which is super delicious. I LOVE uni (sea urchin), and outside of Japan, this is the best uni I've had, and it never ever disappoints. For the first time, me and my partner ordered a special roll (the soft-shell crab), and it was excellent! This place is absolute perfection, and I don't understand why this isn't #1!!! It should be!!!!!!

• Visited March 2013

Boston
“You will not find a more satisfying sushi experience in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This place is small, you are really packed in there. It is good to call ahead 20 minutes and put your name in (they dont take reservations but they do call aheads). Either way it is worth any wait. This stuff is just one a different level than anything else you get around the area. You can go to the other Oishii in Boston proper but that is a much nicer and larger restaurant (and therefore a more expensive affair). If you really really love sushi, this is going to be your dream place. You pay for good fish, sure, but the prices are not so large that you are going to drop a downpayment. Intimate atmosphere hole in the wall place. Impress your friends, impress a girl, just go here and experience some of the best raw fish in the greater boston area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newton, Massachusetts
“Fresh taste, nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited Oishii on a Saturday night, around 7:00pm. The restaurant is quite small and it was busy!: the single 4 person table and long sushi bar were both full. However, the wait was well-worth it. I had the Deluxe Sushi plate, which consists of 10 pieces of chef's choice nigiri (I got crab, octopus, shrimp, freshwater eel, salmon, and tuna) and a tekka maki (you may choose a California roll instead) and costs about $22. The nigiri was delicious and tasted fresh. I appreciated that each piece did not have too much rice. Some places will give you smaller cuts of fish and try to trick you by making the rice part larger, but Oishii got the ratio right, at least for my tastes.

Due to the size of the restaurant, this may not be a good place to go with groups, but is great for individuals or dates. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and it was still quiet enough to have a conversation, despite the limited space.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic Sushi...date I say the best I have had?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Finally tried Oishi. Wow...What was I waiting for? The food was delicious! Must try the salmon hand roll. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I dream in salmon now. Spicy tuna roll very good. Kids had chicken satay. Fresh and not greasy. Great atmosphere. Very chill. Recommend highly.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Really Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great food, great service. Orders are stored so you can call back and get the same order. Sushi fresh. DIne in, really one table and the sushi "bar" and tight. Good staff, nice menu. Fresh preparation and fish.

• Visited July 2012